Pet Shrimp

motomage

Reaction score
I am very fascinated by shrimps I think they are really cute and interesting and I wish to pet them.
But I have got no experience in petting any animals besides hamsters, so anyone is a subject expert on Shrimp can share your setup, tips and advice on pet shrimp?? :)

1. Setup (tank setup/lighting/temperature/pH values/ vitamins / minerals / plantation.... ?)
2. Diet
3. Maintenance
4. Types of shrimp
5. Where to buy or catch them(if legally possible)
6. What to expect

Last edited:

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
I am very fascinated by shrimps I think they are really cute and interesting and I wish to pet them.
But I have got no experience in petting any animals besides hamsters, so anyone is a subject expert on Shrimp can share your setup, tips and advice on pet shrimp?? :)

1. Setup (tank setup/lighting/temperature/pH values/ vitamins / minerals / plantation.... ?)
2. Diet
3. Maintenance
4. Types of shrimp
6. What to expect

start off with neocaridina aka cherry shrimp.
if you can keep them alive and make them reproduce, you can play with caridina aka crystal red shrimp which is much difficult.

start with a decent size tank(at least 1.5 ft). best is 2ft.
make sure your filter is mature before putting any shrimp inside.
this will take at least a month.

good luck and have fun. :)

motomage

Reaction score
start off with neocaridina aka cherry shrimp.
if you can keep them alive and make them reproduce, you can play with caridina aka crystal red shrimp which is much difficult.

start with a decent size tank(at least 1.5 ft). best is 2ft.
make sure your filter is mature before putting any shrimp inside.
this will take at least a month.

good luck and have fun. :)

Hi! I wanted to try with yamno shrimps, but seems let shrimplet need brickish water, which means I wouldn't be able to get them in my setup. Others also suggested cheery red shrimps. Will definitely start other breeds once I understand more about them..
What you mean by mature pump?

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Hi! I wanted to try with yamno shrimps, but seems let shrimplet need brickish water, which means I wouldn't be able to get them in my setup. Others also suggested cheery red shrimps. Will definitely start other breeds once I understand more about them..
What you mean by mature pump?

start with cherry shrimp first.
its the cheapest, most widely available and the easiest to keep.

mature filter means the filter media is fully cycled with beneficial bacteria.
you need to understand the nitrogen cycle for fish keeping before you start keeping shrimp.

motomage

Reaction score
start with cherry shrimp first.
its the cheapest, most widely available and the easiest to keep.

mature filter means the filter media is fully cycled with beneficial bacteria.
you need to understand the nitrogen cycle for fish keeping before you start keeping shrimp.

Yes, i am in the midst of filtering my tank with some bio media and plants from a friend. Been reading alot of hydrogen cycle. Hopefully the tank will be mature next week. After reading i will start with cherry shrimps first. Thanks

green72

Reaction score
Yes, i am in the midst of filtering my tank with some bio media and plants from a friend. Been reading alot of hydrogen cycle. Hopefully the tank will be mature next week. After reading i will start with cherry shrimps first. Thanks

Should be nitrogen cycle not hydrogen cycle. :s13: Yamato shrimp is easy to keep. Way more hardy than cherry shrimp. They require no special water parameters to thrive.

We are told Yamato shrimp reproduce in brackish water but try to start keeping them alive first. They can thrive in fresh water easily. I used to have Yamato shrimps reproduced in my fresh water tank.

If you can keep them alive for a month, then try adding a couple of cherry shrimp.
Do note, while cherry can survive our local temperature, they won't survive long or rather they get old faster due to the temperature.

It increases their metabolic rate. 2-4 months is considered good. If you want them to survive longer, and air-con room at 24-26C is best. Or run a water chiller, but it will cost you $$$.

Last edited:

think

Reaction score
I just started this hobby not long ago. I have amano and CRS, but CRS keep dying. I’ve tested and adjusted different water parameters gradually Next will be the temperature as my cheapo thermometer is showing 30 degree(although I feel is cooler than that).

Yua Mikami

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try keeping Yamato and cherry first before you try those premium shrimps

buy aio tank, soil, low light plants, food, fan, filter media and filter pads

diet algae? spirulina?

expect them to hide or chasing each other or died

buy from Seaview? or pasir ris

mini fan because of SG weather too warm for them

oh btw do go learn the basic of cycling tank and temperature acclimate

yourmotherdie

Banned
Reaction score
Any good places in SG that sells shrimps? And i have those small ecosystem shrimps that i bought from boxshop. $40 for a box that kind. What shrimps are those and should i do anything to help them survive longer? I usually add abit of tap water to top up the container cos it evaporates so fast

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
This thread is useless without pics. Come share photo of your nano tank.
K0ytovfl.jpg

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Any good places in SG that sells shrimps? And i have those small ecosystem shrimps that i bought from boxshop. $40 for a box that kind. What shrimps are those and should i do anything to help them survive longer? I usually add abit of tap water to top up the container cos it evaporates so fast
How can you add tap water? It will affect the nitro cycle.

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
I just started this hobby not long ago. I have amano and CRS, but CRS keep dying. I’ve tested and adjusted different water parameters gradually Next will be the temperature as my cheapo thermometer is showing 30 degree(although I feel is cooler than that).
Keeping shrimps alive is basic. Your water got problem. Did u cycle properly?

soarer

Banned
Reaction score
Nitro bro not hydro. Basically it means cultivate enough stability of good bacteria and bad bacteria. So bacterial colonies need to exist in the filter bed and the right balance will convert ammonia->nitrite->nitrates.

soarer

Banned
Reaction score

2. Diet
3. Maintenance
4. Types of shrimp
6. What to expect
1) No need so troublesome. Just get the cycle going and keep the temp low for a start.
2) Any from pet shop.
3) Not much maintenance once it has stablized. Just need to top up water. Use only aged water.
4) Start with cheaper ones and try to breed. Once you succeeded in breeding then move on to more expensive omes.
5) C328. Y618.
6) Nice soothing ecosystem that can be therapeutic. Some extra side income if you succeeded in breeding the expensive ones.

Nattadecoco

Reaction score

2. Diet
3. Maintenance
4. Types of shrimp
6. What to expect

I’m a newbie in keeping these shrimps! Got all my supplies from Seaview aquarium! (Shop keeper there was nice enough to go through with me the essentials for this set up!)
They do sell these shrimps too but I think beginners should start with cherryshrimps as they’re easier to care for 🙂

FinchGuy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What colour light is most suitable for shrimp tank with some low-maintenance plants? White, white plus blue, or white, blue and red? Thanks for any help.

samsocute

Reaction score
What colour light is most suitable for shrimp tank with some low-maintenance plants? White, white plus blue, or white, blue and red? Thanks for any help.

i would recommend white for better viewing of the shrimps and also if you want to put moss or any more higher maintenance plant in future.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.