HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recommended Cat Food & Shops in Singapore

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #136
High Supremacy Member

From the Felipedia entry on raw meat diets, here is the excerpt to the recipe in the book.

http://www.blakkatz.com/recipes.pdf

Of special interest to everyone on this thread, the feline nutrition education society.

http://feline-nutrition.org/
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #137

Exclamation Evo is still the best for my cats.

It is made in USA. 100% All fish ingredient. Not made in China or Thailand.
I dont really know cats eat chicken. Just my 2 cents
dojob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #138

Thumbs up

w.evopet dot com/products

i know one thing. the people promoting the other brands are either distributors or seller trying to promote their own brand. Other Cats fosterer also swear by EVO in SG.

Check out that brand guys and dont fall for the other brands that has been promoted here. Downside of EVo is that it is pretty expensive but i believe in the best for my cats
dojob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #139
Arch-Supremacy Member

All the research & studies have shown BARF and then natural, cooked food is still much better than dry packed food. If you literally take raw or cooked food meaning cooked plain rice or similar of course there is not enough nutrition. It refers to a balanced diet consisting of different nutrition groups. Long consumption of dry processed/packed food, kibbles are harmful & always be a poor substitute
Really? I would like to see what "studies and research" is showing BARF > cooked and pet food....
Old 13-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #140

w.evopet dot com/products

i know one thing. the people promoting the other brands are either distributors or seller trying to promote their own brand. Other Cats fosterer also swear by EVO in SG.

Check out that brand guys and dont fall for the other brands that has been promoted here. Downside of EVo is that it is pretty expensive but i believe in the best for my cats
Quite certain you don't represent other cat owners in Singapore. Its also quite a stretch making an assumption people must be distributors simply because they recommended some brand. Actually you sound more like a EVO marketeer than the other posts.

You may not be aware EVO is by procter & gamble. There are many pet owners, especially in the USA who swore by EVO but switched brands after it was brought over by Procter and Gamble. P & G has been boycotted by many pet owners even prior to this. There are many petshops in USA who simply refuse to carry their products on their shelves at all.

If anyone is genuinely concerned about cats or dogs, pets. Really do find out more about the manufacturers, like P & G and their cruel experimentation. And how the quality of their products have historically fallen after take-overs & mass production.

Procter & Gamble are subject to boycott from a number of animal rights groups for the large amounts of animals they use in testing their products - estimated at about 50,000 per year.
Proctor and Gamble, the largest manufacturer of household products in the U.S., conducts inhumane animal testing for many of its products. Activists charge the company with spending only a fraction of the billions they use toward advertising on finding humane ways to test their products. According to studies, the company spent $3 billion (with a "B") on advertising in 2004—compared to the $64 million spent over a 14 year period on alternative testing methods.

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-newa...procter-gamble

http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/co...s/proctor.html

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=1960476
xtrname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #141

Thank you for this thread! It has been very helpful - I just got myself a cat and realise with horror that I've been feeding my community cats rubbish food all these years

Any recommendation for a good brand of canned food, or if anyplace sells commercially packaged BARF?
tethysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #142

hey felas..

i ve been feeding both of my cats whom are 11months old now burp..

it's the big tin ones nt the small tins..

i ve tried various brands bought at pets lover station ant burp is the only 1 my cats prefer?

is the brand ok?

if its not what will be den..my budget is around 2 to 2.5bucks per big tin
mizuhashimasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #143

Talking Wow.

Great thread about cat food!

I am now feeding my cat Taste of The Wild. But thinking to change cos I have been doing my own research lately. This is what I got off the internet ----> "The first ingredients listed should be whole meat ingredients, protein sources, such as Chicken or Turkey. NOT just the word “meat”! The word Chicken Meal is ok, but it should be a secondary ingredient, not first. Meal is the meat dehydrated and ground into a powder." Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain flavor has chicken meal as its first ingredient. NOT that I am saying this is bad, but I think every cat lover would prefer not to, eh? The Canyon River Feline Formula is much better, "trout" as its first ingredient.

I quote this from a website about Wellness Core ----> "My cat has been on Wellness Core for over a year. My cat just got struvite crystals which completely blocked his urethra which can be life threatening. We took him to an emergency clinic. If you read literature on struvite crystals, it clearly states feeding them vitamin C over an extended period can cause the crystals. Wellness Core contains 200mg of ascorbic acid. Although I can’t say for sure, but I believe this to be the cause of the crystals as my cat is only 2 years old and crystal blockage of the urethra tends to occur at age 7 and up." and another ----> "My wife and I were just instructed by our vet to take our cats off of wellness core cat food (a 1 year old cat and a 5 year old). Our 5 year old had a very high amount of struvite crystals in her urine at last checkup and had never had such an issue before eating Wellness Core." And I found 4 or 5 (maybe more) more reviews that says the same about the blockage and crystals found in cats' urine. I am guessing this is a very good dry cat food indeed, but then we should alternate from this brand to another and not stay with one brand for too long?

Does anyone recommend Orijen? I heard about the 2008 Australian recall cat food. I sent them an email asking them if Orijen distributed in Singapore are safe for cats' consumption and have yet to receive a reply. What about Blue Buffalo Wilderness™ Chicken Recipe or Taste of the Wild "Canyon River" formula? Is anyone selling in Singapore?

If I were to mix 2 brands of cat food together, which are the best?

I love this thread, it's great, thank you all!

Last edited by anne.jailani; 29-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Adding more info.
anne.jailani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #144

I'm feeding my cats Solid Gold Indigo Moon. =)
muffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #145

[QUOTE=ken_nuff;56016986]hi,
i just read about cat food within this thread and is really shocked to see poor quality food and tortured animal testing.

just like to ask all bros, where can i get
Solid Gold - Indigo Moon Holistic,
[I]Taste of the wild -Rocky Mountain Feline and
Wellness Core

feed wet food/fresh meat, what are recommended?

@ken_nuff,

If you live in the east, there is a pet shop in Eunos called Pet Tales, their number is 6748 3008. They carry Solid Gold Indigo Moon and Taste of The Wild Rocky Mountain formula. They go not carry Wellness though. Alternatively, you can also research online and see which online pet shops sell these brands.
Old 30-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #146

I bought Wellness for my cat. She's not that keen on it, but I forced her to eat (she's used to Sanabelle - that's what her fosterer used to feed her)... lucky she's not a very picky eater! I must say she is super active and lively now! I've read the reviews about the high amount of Vit C, so I'm mixing with Taste of the Wild wet food, and she loves it. I've been buying from Pet Lovers Centre because it's more convenient, but probably going to try Water Dish the next time I stock up.

Any review for Fish4Cats? The ingredients list looks good, but I heard cats not supposed to eat too much fish, esp ocean fish?

[Edit: The US site lists the main ingredients as Cod 34%, Potato 21.3%, Herring Meal 26.5%, Salmon Oil 9.6%, Beet Fibre 5.2%, Brewers Yeast 2.0%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.6%.

That high potato content is turning me off! Also, cod is high in mercury. I think I'm giving this brand a miss.]

Last edited by tethysea; 30-06-2011 at 02:23 PM..
tethysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #147

anyone know where to buy in bulk to save cost?
oracleplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #148

Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, Orijen, Acana; these brands are about as good as you can get for your cats. There is a few other quality ones but im leaving them out due to manufacture ethics (lack of) and animal testing. Wellness Core I'm not certain. Read that it has some manufacturer ethics issue but couldn't find anything detailed.

There will not be an ideal dry food, so its best to mix & rotate as different recipes will have their pros & cons. This way you will be covered & the cats will also not get bored eating the same food.

Ultimately, always remember to leave clean water for them. Many problems in cats can be traced back to a lack of water intake. So the dry food should be accompanied by a good proportion of wet/natural food. Try to wet the dry food before giving it to them. Try sprinkling some water initially. After a while they may even be used to eating them soggy. BARF seems to hold a lot of promise, and it's advocated strongly by some members here. But do your own research to feel confident about this

Regardless of whatever food, you must observe how it affects them over a period of them. The perfect food for 1 cat may affect another differently.

Price-wise, Polypets should be the cheapest. I buy more from 'The waterdish' due to their support of animal welfare activities. Haven't tried other shops but just sticking to what works for me. The price differences between most shops are really marginal unless you're feeding a huge amount of cats. So i tend to support shops im personally more comfortable with rather than the price.

I encourage everyone to avoid petshops which sell live animals, especially Pets Station who are really puppy/pet mills in disguise. They even attempted to give away live hamsters as free gifts recently.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%...15-128558.html

Link below on the condition of their cats

http://pet.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=4380&page=3

The place is AWFUL
Went today. The place is horrible horrible horrible. The lights where the pets are kept are off, unless have customers wanna take a look. Meaning they are in perpetual darkness most of the time. Most of the cats there have eye infections, a couple with running noses, and saw one with injuries around ears and eyes. The litter tray was obviously not cleaned for some time, considering that a few cats are sharing just 1 and that with minimum level of litter sand in it.

Ask the staff and he all dunno. How old? Not sure. What breed? Er... dunno. God, the kittens there dun look more than 1 mth old!!

This pet shop has it's own farm, so it's breeding it's own stocks for sale. I dare not imagine the environment at the farm considering the environment in the shop. This is also the same chain that runs the shop at Jurong Pt. The situation there is only slightly better. It also runs a branch at Causeway Pt, but there dun sell pets cos it's inside the mall.

Last edited by xtrname; 02-07-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #149

hey felas..

i ve been feeding both of my cats whom are 11months old now burp..

it's the big tin ones nt the small tins..

i ve tried various brands bought at pets lover station ant burp is the only 1 my cats prefer?

is the brand ok?

if its not what will be den..my budget is around 2 to 2.5bucks per big tin
Those companies which produce better dry food like Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Solid Gold; their corresponding wet/can food is usually the better ones also. Not sure about their price.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #150

Great thread about cat food!

I am now feeding my cat Taste of The Wild. But thinking to change cos I have been doing my own research lately. This is what I got off the internet ----> "The first ingredients listed should be whole meat ingredients, protein sources, such as Chicken or Turkey. NOT just the word “meat”! The word Chicken Meal is ok, but it should be a secondary ingredient, not first. Meal is the meat dehydrated and ground into a powder." Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain flavor has chicken meal as its first ingredient. NOT that I am saying this is bad, but I think every cat lover would prefer not to, eh? The Canyon River Feline Formula is much better, "trout" as its first ingredient.

I quote this from a website about Wellness Core ----> "My cat has been on Wellness Core for over a year. My cat just got struvite crystals which completely blocked his urethra which can be life threatening. We took him to an emergency clinic. If you read literature on struvite crystals, it clearly states feeding them vitamin C over an extended period can cause the crystals. Wellness Core contains 200mg of ascorbic acid. Although I can’t say for sure, but I believe this to be the cause of the crystals as my cat is only 2 years old and crystal blockage of the urethra tends to occur at age 7 and up." and another ----> "My wife and I were just instructed by our vet to take our cats off of wellness core cat food (a 1 year old cat and a 5 year old). Our 5 year old had a very high amount of struvite crystals in her urine at last checkup and had never had such an issue before eating Wellness Core." And I found 4 or 5 (maybe more) more reviews that says the same about the blockage and crystals found in cats' urine. I am guessing this is a very good dry cat food indeed, but then we should alternate from this brand to another and not stay with one brand for too long?

Does anyone recommend Orijen? I heard about the 2008 Australian recall cat food. I sent them an email asking them if Orijen distributed in Singapore are safe for cats' consumption and have yet to receive a reply. What about Blue Buffalo Wilderness™ Chicken Recipe or Taste of the Wild "Canyon River" formula? Is anyone selling in Singapore?

If I were to mix 2 brands of cat food together, which are the best?

I love this thread, it's great, thank you all!
I think its ok as long as you mix/rotate among 2-3 of the better brands. There's no perfect diet & staying on 1 brand exclusive may result in some issue in the long term.

The condition of the cats change as they grow older or develop new health problems. So the diet which worked for them growing up may no longer be suitable. Most importantly, observe how the diet is affecting their general health and adapt accordingly.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.