Those who got terrapins please come in..

dumbothecute

Reaction score
Hi, I have a full grown female adult terrapin

If I were to buy C2 fluval filter, can I just rely on that and skip changing the tank water?

Or I still have to change once every month

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If I were to buy C2 fluval filter, can I just rely on that and skip changing the tank water?

Depends on how big your terrapin's poop is. I got 3x terrapins around 2 inch and I don't think fluval C2 is good enough for me.

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am currently using these from taobao. Never change water since.

Only need to top up water every 2 weeks.
Change filter from the drawer whenever it's dirty(around 6-7 days)

8z9Lhh0l.jpg

pl11dQvl.jpg

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there, anyone knows why the southern painted turtle is not allowed in SG? Thought this species is smaller than the red eared sliders. If you know where to get, pls PM me. Thks.

Also, which filter and UV basking light brand and model is recomended for a turtle tank? Thanks!

Just go to carousel buy this type of lamp

yorJy2xl.jpg

QkFuETnl.jpg

grandorder302

Reaction score
Anyone with red ear slider can advice me how to get them to start eating veg, my father kept feeding them turtle food stick/treats and now they refuse to eat veg anymore.

onegoal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone with red ear slider can advice me how to get them to start eating veg, my father kept feeding them turtle food stick/treats and now they refuse to eat veg anymore.
Starve them. Lol they will know no treats, veggies also can.

onegoal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Idea is clean water. If the pond water is safe for human, it will be safer for them. If not u have to improve the condition. So any type of filter that can make the water clean works. I never change my tank water. I only top it up and wash the filter every week.

dumbothecute

Reaction score
Idea is clean water. If the pond water is safe for human, it will be safer for them. If not u have to improve the condition. So any type of filter that can make the water clean works. I never change my tank water. I only top it up and wash the filter every week.

Thanks. What filter are you using?

我是Crone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I put my turtle in the balcony so it has direct sunlight for 2-3 hours a day. Is that sufficient or do i need additional UV lights for my tank? :(

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
我是Crone;124847077 said:
I put my turtle in the balcony so it has direct sunlight for 2-3 hours a day. Is that sufficient or do i need additional UV lights for my tank? :(

Got basking platform/dry area for them to sun tan is good enough

101love

Master Member
Reaction score
my turtle enjoying basking.
turtle likes to swim so they really need ample space of water to swim around. only time when they out of water is when they need basking. turtle are smart, when I Don turn on the heat lamp, he won't come up. when heat lamp is on and he can feel the heat on the surface he will climb up and sun tan
usually I on the heat lamp around 11am to 12pm all the way to evening 7/8pm. so to match the sun timing

uAKNhsi.jpg

mDUR1Zd.jpg

Last edited:

onegoal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is how my 14year old terrapin bake in the sun. He climbs up whenever he feels like.

7a1Gcm1l.jpg

Jupremacy

Reaction score
Anyone knows if terrapins will kill/eat smaller Koi fish as they grow older? I have 2 terrapins for the past 7 years and in the past few years I house them in a 3ft x 3ft tank with a few small koi fish and feed them with off the shelf terrapin food (no fresh/raw food).

Recently the koi fish keeps dying one by one and I don't think its the water problem since their deaths occurs few days after i change the tank's water and filter (i usually change half the tank's water every two week) Anyone got any advise or experience this before?

Picture of tank:
https: //imgur.com/a/ynmaxu7

onegoal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if terrapins will kill/eat smaller Koi fish as they grow older? I have 2 terrapins for the past 7 years and in the past few years I house them in a 3ft x 3ft tank with a few small koi fish and feed them with off the shelf terrapin food (no fresh/raw food).

Recently the koi fish keeps dying one by one and I don't think its the water problem since their deaths occurs few days after i change the tank's water and filter (i usually change half the tank's water every two week) Anyone got any advise or experience this before?

Picture of tank:
https: //imgur.com/a/ynmaxu7
They will attack the fins slowly. Don't think will eat Koi as the fish is too big

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starve them. Lol they will know no treats, veggies also can.
That won't work... their 'thinking' is stuck through long conditioning...

.. they will ignore the vegetable... and then become sick, and quickly starve to death... :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.