Those who got terrapins please come in..

highdiver_2000

Reaction score
yes it will...I small kid time got keep 2 terrapin, always feed them live fish when they chase the fish can run very fast haha....

once they catch they will hold onto the fish wit their mouth and use both sharp claw to tear the fish apart till they get to the size they can swallow....

I used to feed my terrapin with longkang fish.

highdiver_2000

Reaction score
Terrapins live forever. Please don't encourage kids to keep baby Terrapins as pet and dump them into reservoirs later on. I'm still struggling with my 3 22 yrs old terrapin my parents bought me for primary school show and tell....

Those are huge!!

blueme

Reaction score
My son has two. Seeing you guys say that yours are as old as 22 years is making me worried

not all of them are that long life but the last one i got was almost 20 yrs old when it died of old age last year. The previous ones that i got passed away within 10yrs or so

enxiretea

Reaction score
Hello all, I have two terrapins since 10/11 years ago. They are pretty huge in size now. Have been thinking of buying a larger tank + filter as I have been changing the water daily.
Would like to know where yall buy the glass tanks or other containers? As well as what are the other equipment needed for the set up? Any other tips on caring for them? HDB quite small to have a large area dedicated to them so always feel quite sad to see them circling the same area. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Hello all, I have two terrapins since 10/11 years ago. They are pretty huge in size now. Have been thinking of buying a larger tank + filter as I have been changing the water daily.
Would like to know where yall buy the glass tanks or other containers? As well as what are the other equipment needed for the set up? Any other tips on caring for them? HDB quite small to have a large area dedicated to them so always feel quite sad to see them circling the same area. Thanks! :)

Sometimes I let my terrapin roam around the house, or within a limited area like my room or the toilet

kreja

Master Member
Reaction score

Am looking for a solution to house 3 terrapins separately and comfortably in a hdb env too. :/ buy 3x2 ft fish tank? Lol...sianz

Swiftyz

Reaction score

There are a lot of information online about the questions you are asking. But nonetheless.. HDB has a limit on the size of your tank you are going to get, cause too big might cause the floor/ceiling to crack. 3 or 4 ft should be good.

There are quite a few local companies that can customise a tank for you, but depending on your budget and the quality you want, choose wisely! Or you can probably get pre-made tanks from the shops, with or without the stand/cabinet.

For the basic equipments you will need are filter, basking area for them to occasionally dry themselves, heating lamp to go with. Invest more on the filter as you know they have a lot of waste! :s22: I have been using an overhead filter for my turtle. But thinking of changing to an external filter cus my turtle is destroying my pipe connecting from the pump to filter. Yeah, an external filter generally has better filter capabilities. Which you can of course change the water/filter about once a month or when it gets dirty. In turn, saving you lots of water which u change everyday for now:s22:

As mentioned by others, do fill up more water for them to swim in! They love it :D

P.S. anyone got recommendations for an external filter that is of the best value? Low on budget, but need a good filter.

kreja

Master Member
Reaction score
Im using ehiem classic filters. Its abit ex but reliable, comes with local warranty. I can only afford 2ft tanks. So now i have a 2x 2ft setup for my 2 sliders (my 3rd one passed away T.T)

onegoal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bFmp3stl.jpg

My 10 years old terrapin. �

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

onegoal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Alex.hero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My tank cost about 100 bucks. Probably you can get cheaper if you search harder. The stone in middle is free. Pick up from some parks. Next time I will return the the same place if I give up my terrapin.

If you are creative and smart, it doesn't cost much. I used auto feeder. Do only top up food every 2 weeks. And wash filter once a month.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

How you wash your tank bro?

iacnij

Master Member
Reaction score
who can tell me from personal experience that a terrapin can live till when?

mine currently is 20 year old

Greent

Reaction score
How long you all change the water and how you all change it ?
Do you all let it settle down before change (due to chlorine)

Is it necessary to get a water pump to let it circulation or water filter to remove those dirt and unknown particle ?

Thank

My one KO after 3 weeks plus and last time terrapins can live quite long ..

kreja

Master Member
Reaction score
How long you all change the water and how you all change it ?
Do you all let it settle down before change (due to chlorine)

Is it necessary to get a water pump to let it circulation or water filter to remove those dirt and unknown particle ?

Thank

My one KO after 3 weeks plus and last time terrapins can live quite long ..

30 percent water change weekly, lazy then fortnightly. I use water conditioner to remove chlorine. Cannister fliter is a must unless you want to change water everyday. I feed them in separate feeding tub. Hatchlings have high mortality rate. Once adult they can live very very lomg. Mine 23yrs now.

Greent

Reaction score
Is it necessary to have UVA? Thermostat Heater for terrapin

Just curious because they shop keeper say is necessary for them but my understanding is since my house got direct sunlight and night time can room temp can be 30-33 degree ...

limchooc

Reaction score
I have a terrapins to give away. It grow from a 50 cent size to today 10cm from top to bottom of the shell. Give away because kid lost interest and it is out grow the case. Understand from this forum it should be a male. Saw selling at $68 to $128 at same pet shop for this size. I am giving it out for free if you promise to take good care of the terrapin. PM me if you are interested.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.