HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

CFA Level 1 Preparation: Kaplan vs CFA Singapore vs Self-Study

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #196

so what is your advice for my situation??
Take in your final year... June 2015 would be your best bet. I had **** loads to do when I was doing CFA in my final year but still passed, so its not impossible.
godslayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #197

i think since your taking lvl 1 .. you can take the dec exam in the middle of your final yr..im not sure if you can take it in the June after you've completed your third yr exams but then again your heading into your final yr so it should be ok... best to email CFA institute and check though as some of the other bros have said here (:
xxduckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #198
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi i'm planning to take CFA lvl 1. Probably the June 2014 exam. Just grad recently from UOL banking finance. Planning to self study.

Any recommendation for study materials? Heard the Schweser study packages are pretty good? CFA 2014 Level 1 Schweser Notes & CFA Study Materials for the CFA exam

And if so which package is recommended?

Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited by marbleslab; 07-09-2013 at 10:36 AM..
marbleslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #199

Hi i'm planning to take CFA lvl 1. Probably the June 2014 exam. Just grad recently from UOL banking finance. Planning to self study.

Any recommendation for study materials? Heard the Schweser study packages are pretty good? CFA 2014 Level 1 Schweser Notes & CFA Study Materials for the CFA exam

And if so which package is recommended?

Any advice? Thanks!
I used the cheapest SchweserNotes Package and was fine.
godslayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #200

I heard the exams are tough den selfstudy must be quite tough gt a friend who retook the exams twice or thrice

Opened his book really catch no ball and numbers make me dizzy
NeoNeo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #201

3rd party guides

Hi all,

I have registered for level 1 june 2014 examination.

Anyone purchased the print version of the curriculum from cfa institute; is quite expensive already considering just the cost of the 6 books itself. Are those curriculum from 3rd party reliable? I saw an exact duplicate from taobao recently: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=22099919570

Ernest

Last edited by ernestseow; 29-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: change text
ernestseow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #202

honestly the use of 3rd party material and official CFAI material is subjective and varies from person to person.. i for one prefer the CFAI material cause its more in depth .. the 3rd party material just gives you the nice need to know stuff but doesn't do much explaining which sometimes act as a hindrance..

the only difference between official and 3rd party material is that the exams will have some material that will only appear in the official material.. it is not alot of questions but maybe 5% of the paper? the reason for this is that the 3rd party materials will give the overview of formulas and stuff (the no. areas) but the CFAI material will give you the background and some general knowledge info like which the 3rd party material will skip cause its not crucial

these additional info wont break your exam but it can serve as a stumbling block.. say your doing your exam and getting a good momentum going but then you hit a question that asks you something you've never seen before

my advice is since you wanna save $$ you can get the fake version (risk is you never know what they "forgot" to print) or 3rd party books and use the e-version which you already have as a reference
xxduckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #203

honestly the use of 3rd party material and official CFAI material is subjective and varies from person to person.. i for one prefer the CFAI material cause its more in depth .. the 3rd party material just gives you the nice need to know stuff but doesn't do much explaining which sometimes act as a hindrance..

the only difference between official and 3rd party material is that the exams will have some material that will only appear in the official material.. it is not alot of questions but maybe 5% of the paper? the reason for this is that the 3rd party materials will give the overview of formulas and stuff (the no. areas) but the CFAI material will give you the background and some general knowledge info like which the 3rd party material will skip cause its not crucial

these additional info wont break your exam but it can serve as a stumbling block.. say your doing your exam and getting a good momentum going but then you hit a question that asks you something you've never seen before

my advice is since you wanna save $$ you can get the fake version (risk is you never know what they "forgot" to print) or 3rd party books and use the e-version which you already have as a reference
thanks for the reply! I will go for the "fake" version of the 2014 curriulum since is exactly the same as the official print version and the price differential is just too big. Hopefully, the print quality is acceptable. As far as i know, the amount paid for the print version has increased several folds as compared to the 2013 dec intake's.

Ernest
ernestseow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #204

CFA level 1 schweser notes, exam questions

Hi guys.

I'll be taking the Dec'13 level 1 exam.

Can anyone advise me on how i can get my hands on the Schweser notes, mock exams and practice questions asap.

Looking for the cheapest method. thanks!
lin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #205

anyone interested to form a study group for CFA lvl 2 exam coming June 2014??
ngcyfredrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #206
KXY

anyone interested to form a study group for CFA lvl 2 exam coming June 2014??
Hi! I'm interested. Drop me an email at xiangyao@outlook.com.
KXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #207

Hi all,

I have registered for level 1 june 2014 examination.

Anyone purchased the print version of the curriculum from cfa institute; is quite expensive already considering just the cost of the 6 books itself. Are those curriculum from 3rd party reliable? I saw an exact duplicate from taobao recently: Ա - ԣϲ

Ernest
I have seen a fake copy of the book from taobao. Exactly the same exactly the paper used is bad.
lipo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #208

CFA LVL 1

Hi guys/ladies

enrolled for june cfa lvl 1

Its a gd decision to get Schweser notes, they r pretty condense and easier to understand

I got my from illegal source haha, cheaper n print is okay. maybe some abit dark but overall for the price is worth it. they got a number of different combos. (pm me if u wan to find out more)

n 1 question: is financial calculator advise for the exam??
not sure to get 1, spend quite an amt for cfa alreadx.
freeman5js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #209
Supremacy Member

Hi guys/ladies

enrolled for june cfa lvl 1

Its a gd decision to get Schweser notes, they r pretty condense and easier to understand

I got my from illegal source haha, cheaper n print is okay. maybe some abit dark but overall for the price is worth it. they got a number of different combos. (pm me if u wan to find out more)

n 1 question: is financial calculator advise for the exam??
not sure to get 1, spend quite an amt for cfa alreadx.
they only allow those 2 brands into the exam hall, you don't buy, then you prepare to do 心算
chehjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #210

Buying financial calculator

ah icic . tys tys
so anyone here selling financial calculator?
guess i got to buy, my heart counting not tat power
freeman5js is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.