HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Getting a PhD worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Getting a PhD worth it?

Recently got an email saying that I've been offered a place for a PhD at NUS(Sch of Med) but self financed. There's also the option to do part time PhD and work as a RA, which will then cover tuition and provide a stipend. But it's unlikely that this stipend will be able to match my current pay, and with this Economy, I don't know if I can stomach the risk of graduating without a job since there's only THAT many options in singapore. I wanted to get the PhD initially cos I wanted to lead a project like what the PhDs in my company are doing, but at this juncture idk?

PhD holders... Is it worth it doing one now?
lmnmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Is there good chance of you getting into academia after graduating? You should speak to current students there to get a sense of post PhD career opps.
Cryophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #3

What PhD work will you be doing? I find that especially in Singapore, if you cannot be sponsored for a PhD programme, either
a. your supervisor not top notch
b. your supervisor cannot persuade others to give him a research grant
c. your research topic is so specific, that no one cares about it.
d. your supervisor actually only care for himself as he need in his CV that he/she has PhD students
e. all of the above

Forget about being a RA and all the rest, PhD is hard work for 3-4 years.

You asked here because you are worried and want to know more, why not tell the rest
a. what do you want to get out of it. You did say "I wanted to get the PhD initially cos I wanted to lead a project like what the PhDs in my company are doing", seriously you need a PhD to lead a project?
b. Do you think after your PhD, do you want to do post doc?
c. mostly importantly, do you want to be in the academia world? or going back to work in the private sector?
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #4

I think unless you are going into the academic/research field, MSc programmes might be a better choice.
iluvmaldives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

You doctor?
Euqorab is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.