HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

GMAT.......

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

GMAT.......

Hi guys,just wanted to start a thread on this.
Seems there is no thread dedicated to GMAT.

Im intending to take my GMAT end of this year. And been reading the forums on GMAT.

For those who have taken,would like some advice and tips.

A. Do you guys self study or go through a centre?
B. what is considered a good score? Im being hopeful but aiming for at least 710 with mugging. Possible?
C.what are the good textbooks ard.i see so many pple choosing so many different types. As a rule of thumb,i intend to get the official gmat and the manhattan gmat. Anymore i shud look out for? Saw some online programmes as well. Which are the good ones?
D. Any spore bookstores sells gmat textbooks? Or buy from amazon or the officiL website?
E.is the gmat results valid for life or have an expiry date?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been asked before
Didjerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

valid for five years.
Old 16-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Im intending to take my GMAT end of this year. And been reading the forums on GMAT.

B. what is considered a good score? Im being hopeful but aiming for at least 710 with mugging. Possible?
C.what are the good textbooks ard.i see so many pple choosing so many different types. As a rule of thumb,i intend to get the official gmat and the manhattan gmat. Anymore i shud look out for? Saw some online programmes as well. Which are the good ones?
D. Any spore bookstores sells gmat textbooks? Or buy from amazon or the officiL website?

1. Self Study
2. Above 700 is a competitive score, but obviously higher the better. Certain techniques in answering some GMAT questions can be learnt from study guides.
3. I used manhattan study guides and found it to be pretty good. Official gmat guides are for practice questions.
4. I just downloaded pdf for reference...
5. As above, valid for 5 years.

Now the question is whether you should do GMAT or GRE. I did GMAT thinking that I want to do a MBA and kinda regreted it because now I need to do GRE for my intended course of study (not a MBA). GRE appears to be more flexible as more programs takes GRE scores nowadays. A lot of top business schools are now accepting GRE in lieu of GMAT for their MBA programs also, hence maybe you should re-consider if GMAT or GRE is more suitable for you.

Last edited by dareaper; 16-05-2013 at 09:05 AM..
dareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

1. Self Study
2. Above 700 is a competitive score, but obviously higher the better. Certain techniques in answering some GMAT questions can be learnt from study guides.
3. I used manhattan study guides and found it to be pretty good. Official gmat guides are for practice questions.
4. I just downloaded pdf for reference...
5. As above, valid for 5 years.

Now the question is whether you should do GMAT or GRE. I did GMAT thinking that I want to do a MBA and kinda regreted it because now I need to do GRE for my intended course of study (not a MBA). GRE appears to be more flexible as more programs takes GRE scores nowadays. A lot of top business schools are now accepting GRE in lieu of GMAT for their MBA programs also, hence maybe you should re-consider if GMAT or GRE is more suitable for you.
Hi There,

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the useful information.

Care to share with me the PDFs? The ones you have is a "friendly" version of the ones sold is it?

Thanks

Zul
Old 17-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

a. Self-study and prep school. I went to icon+ for the math and verbal sections. After that spent another month self-study. Got a 710 on the GMAT 2 years ago.

b. Anything above 700 will make you competitive at any school worldwide (of course, your CV, academics, etc, all play a role, too.). Mugging is possible especially for the verbal section if you memorize every single English rule. For Math if you can't see the pattern, memorizing won't help you since you need to simplify the equations first. At the end of the day, the GMAT is a very practicable test, the more you do, the better you get at it. I started at from 490 (before prep), then 640 (during prep), then 710 on the official test.

c. I only used the thick official GMAT prep. One book to prepare for the GMAT. Didn't bother with any other materials. Did every single question in there. After a while you will realize it's all about pattern recognition. Can't speak for what other books will help since I didn't use any others.
chottohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Hi guys, i am also looking into taking GRE too. Is the same method of study apply to GRE? How long does you take per day for how long to above to score a good one?

thanks.
nerdy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

a. Self-study and prep school. I went to icon+ for the math and verbal sections. After that spent another month self-study. Got a 710 on the GMAT 2 years ago.

b. Anything above 700 will make you competitive at any school worldwide (of course, your CV, academics, etc, all play a role, too.). Mugging is possible especially for the verbal section if you memorize every single English rule. For Math if you can't see the pattern, memorizing won't help you since you need to simplify the equations first. At the end of the day, the GMAT is a very practicable test, the more you do, the better you get at it. I started at from 490 (before prep), then 640 (during prep), then 710 on the official test.

c. I only used the thick official GMAT prep. One book to prepare for the GMAT. Didn't bother with any other materials. Did every single question in there. After a while you will realize it's all about pattern recognition. Can't speak for what other books will help since I didn't use any others.
Hi,thanks for the thorough reply.
How mucj did u pay for the sessions in icon? Was it worth it?
Old 20-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Hi,thanks for the thorough reply.
How mucj did u pay for the sessions in icon? Was it worth it?
I paid 1.5k i think cant remember exactly but it was around that price. I did feel it was pricey but i needed it as a refresher for the math concepts so i do think it was money well spent.
Old 20-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #9

to be honest with you i don't think these courses are worth it. the formulas are basic sec sch math... if you could do it back then you can certainly do it now.

i took one week leave to study full time and got 750+.

my strategy was: take 1 official test to familiarize with question type and format. take diagnostic tests in official guide to understand which kind of questions i was weak at. focused on those sections using the kaplan gmat 800 advanced prep book.

memorised a standard framework for essays.

took a second practice test the night before.

get a good nights sleep and prepare a lot of caffeine.
Dua Leng Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

any kind souls can reply my questions.. thanks

I took a private degree due to average Alevel results.

My results were only 2nd lower honours. I cant do any masters programme in local uni as most of d courses r not related to my previous studies. So i decided to aim for MBA. Then again, is it confirm I can get in if i took my GMAT & got good results?

I applied for SIM masters programme n was rejected.. very sad now cos i cant seem to study anything in local uni my last hope is mBA.

I dont wish to do GMAT , and end up i cant get thru MBA as well as my degree results r also average.. any advice any1>

how long do u all take to prepare for GMAT anyways? Or shud i only do GMAT if my results were 1st class/2nd upper honours..? thanks
pinkpiglet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #11

Preparing for the GMAT is relative. I took 2 months for it, while DLK above did it in 1 week. The best thing to do is to take a full sample test so you can gauge just how much preparation you need.

It seems to me from your post, you're trying to do a masters for the sake of doing one and you don't really care what it is. I suggest you think twice about why you need the masters before you commit to a program. If you're pursuing an MBA, your GMAT score and work experience will be more important than your undergrad degree at the local unis.
Old 18-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

From my understanding, the MBA admission team for most schools will look at your undergraduate results and GMAT to gauge your academic ability to complete the MBA. A poor undergraduate result + average GMAT will probably put you in pretty bad light. On the other hand, if you have a great GMAT score, but poor undergrad results, then you better have a really solid essay explaining why your undergrad results were less than desirable, and how your work experience since then had made you more mature and suitable for graduate studies.

Like what chottohen mentioned, do think again on why you want to do the MBA, as it can be a pretty hefty investment, and you don't want to invest in one just for the sake of having it without a need for it.
dareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

I just want to get a good govt job. With my private degree (2nd lower honours), all my job application in careergov website gets rejected. So I tot of getting good gmat results & try to apply for MBA..Thats why.. unless u all got better suggestions? Can I just say I just wanna do masters in NUS/NTU...just scared that even with good gmat, since my degree is only 2nd lower, I cant get in MBA...if that's d case I don't even wanna take gmat in d first place... confused.
pinkpiglet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just want to get a good govt job. With my private degree (2nd lower honours), all my job application in careergov website gets rejected. So I tot of getting good gmat results & try to apply for MBA..Thats why.. unless u all got better suggestions? Can I just say I just wanna do masters in NUS/NTU...just scared that even with good gmat, since my degree is only 2nd lower, I cant get in MBA...if that's d case I don't even wanna take gmat in d first place... confused.
there is no reason why you cant get a govt job with a private degree unless its straight out that your degree is not recognise e.g from really ulu univ not accredited. I have seen many folks from private degrees entering govt jobs.

Your Mba will not help you get a good govt job. MBAs only help to supplement your existing current career path and roadmap.Rarely do fresh grads go to do their MBA unless they are from the ivy league univ with exceptional results.

you sound very confused. You do not need an MBA, what you need is to brush up your resume + send your resumes to appropriate jobs. You aim to get a job, not get an MBA. work towards getting a job, not getting another qualification.
gld998 and philo18 like this.
Old 20-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

You sure that include Govt Sector like MOE for the post of GEO1?

there is no reason why you cant get a govt job with a private degree unless its straight out that your degree is not recognise e.g from really ulu univ not accredited. I have seen many folks from private degrees entering govt jobs.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.