Which MBA?

LeslieHJL

Reaction score
Checked.

He said they have a payscale, but it would be up to the applicants to impress the interviewer. Polytechnics pays their own lecturers and therefore does not come under the limitation of MOE or other polytechnics.

Ah, thanks.

Which poly is your brother in law teaching at?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How will the MBA students/holders know about MEng course (unless they study before which is unlikely)?

Hi all,

I am planning to take on UniSA's Master in Engineering (MEng). Website here -> Master Degree | Master of Engineering at Kaplan Singapore

I'm wondering what the MBAs here can tell me more about this course. I done my degree in local U in Engineering btw. To me, this MEng is like a "MBA" for the engineering. Can anyone else here shed some lights? Thanks a lot!

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks! This is very useful.

Any idea which is the minimum grade for lecturers? For PAX5/6A, the payscale appears quite low for suitably qualified individuals with a Masters and relevant professional experience.

If looking for $$, Actually MOE is another option. They pay mid career 4.5k. 1yr later 5k. Of course, no freedom like poly lecturer.

LeslieHJL

Reaction score
If looking for $$, Actually MOE is another option. They pay mid career 4.5k. 1yr later 5k. Of course, no freedom like poly lecturer.

Nope. Money is not the motivating factor..

Not keen on teaching in non-tertiary institutions.

You're in the teaching profession?

blurbloco

Master Member
Reaction score
Nope. Money is not the motivating factor..

Not keen on teaching in non-tertiary institutions.

You're in the teaching profession?

Don't need to be in the teaching profession to know that lah. There is a yearly seminar organised by MOE to entice mid career professionals to be a teacher lah .... hehehehe .... I had been to one of those. Quite informative.

Bedokian

Reaction score
There is always a need to look for people to fill in the teaching positions, so much so that they had even came out a very long ad to entice people to go into this line. The mid-career professionals are always targeted, not only for their knowledge but life-skills as well.

And since teachers are numerous, there is a very high chance that either your relative/colleague's relative/friend/acquaintance is a teacher as well. For me, I have at least 10 in my circle. :p

LeslieHJL

Reaction score
I have quite a number of teacher friends as well but let's just say most are in it for the wrong reason.

Haven't met a mid-career professional making the switch though.

Bedokian & blurbloco: Which MBA have you set your sights on?

blurbloco

Master Member
Reaction score
I have quite a number of teacher friends as well but let's just say most are in it for the wrong reason.

For me it is quite ok. I had already completed my Masters in Management quite some time ago .... now going to study ACCA :). (Not really interested in MBA)

Last edited:

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score

I heard a mid career engineer who paid 50k to break his teaching bond after 1 yr after leaving nie. So think twice of join for money.

Bedokian

Reaction score

I am actually at a crossroad of my career path, so I have 3 different disciplines of masters in my mind. :) I would guess it depends on my next jump.

salad_hk

Reaction score
Arcadia Expectation

Hey, I will be doing the same course as well. starting in Sept :)

I want give you a kind advice. Do not set your expectation on this Arcadia course to high. You may not get what you pay for, example the quality of the lecturers and the learning hours. You only have 1 module on 4 weekend (Sat, Sun, Sat Sun), if you have quiz on one afternoon and leave early every lesson, what kind of learning can you get for 36 contact hours for 1 module. For people who want a certification, this is really an easy course. But I am very sure you can graduate, even you miss some class or fail some quizs. But for people who want to learn something, it is not recommended. I am not sure any hiring manager who interview graduates from this course would think, it they know the quality of the program.

I cannot advice which MBA course is good, but I can tell you that Arcadia is not good. If you ask people taking this course or graduate from this course, they will have mix feeling; they do not want to degrade their value of the certification but neither do they want to lie to people how "good" this school/course is. I think only people attend this course will know in their heart. But one thing you will learn is how Aventis do business with poor student like us who want a better education for better lives.

Well, I guess you know by now I am also a student of this course. I am really enjoying it. I am late for almost every class and I never have to read the text book to pass my quiz. I have a group member who do most of my group assignment. I have a few more modules to get my cert. Nevertheless, I just want to cert. and don't really care if i learn anything or not. But i am very sure, i cannot use this cert to get a better job. This is the value I get from this course.

darka2000

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning to take on UniSA's Master in Engineering (MEng). Website here -> Master Degree | Master of Engineering at Kaplan Singapore

I'm wondering what the MBAs here can tell me more about this course. I done my degree in local U in Engineering btw. To me, this MEng is like a "MBA" for the engineering. Can anyone else here shed some lights? Thanks a lot!

To MBAs, MEng is MEng, MBA is MBA. MEng is technical degree while latter business degree. They are not interchangeable and cannot swap in job roles.

MEng is very good for Pre-sales jobs while MBA can do business planning for Engineering dept in consultative with chief technical personnel ie. Head of Engineering.

I advise everyone touching this line now to go for MEng instead of MBA. In my experience, MBA is only valuable for those with the following profile.

- Outstanding full time first degree academic performance
- Continue full time MBA from recognised U
- Graduated with MBA at age of early 30s.

Any others part time, not much use. I am citing across multiple industries and general prospect. No need to use exceptional case to argue with me. My best wishes to candidates who still insist for a part time MBA (or study only after early 30s).

relacker

Banned
Reaction score
i am in Uni of Adelaide program. why i opt for it cos' when at that time i registered few yrs ago, they no need GMAT. but i think now maybe need. it used to group of 4 something lidat. it offers pretty flexible time table and the location is central. it even has like program called sumer skool where u can go adelaide 2 weeks and mug for 2 weeks to get 2 modules pass instead of doing it all in 1 semester.:D

ok here's my take, the schedule is very shiong and rush but hey they fly the lecturers down all the way to teach over weekedns, so wkends burn liao, bery jialad as i also young parent. and i personally think unless u aiming for the big ones like chicago biz skool, insead, i think any other MBAs are equivalent. seriously say if i do seek emplyment say in europe or USA, i think probably they know where is Adelaide compared to say Univ of singapore , NTU or SMU etc yeah i know u can quote the affiliation but it always starts of with name of local Uni.

relacker

Banned
Reaction score
I heard a mid career engineer who paid 50k to break his teaching bond after 1 yr after leaving nie. So think twice of join for money.

maybe he used his allowance and study award from MOE and humtum into gd stocks and huat so now can repay 50k no problem. tink of it as interest free loan from MOE

nerdy82

Reaction score
I think there is a program on AM CNA regarding MBA. somebody have the link or vid?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel MBA is just a compliment to management staff who are up there and have a few years of experience managing ppl.

You won't get a management job just because u have a MBA regardless whether it is full time or part time.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MBA is very useful only if it comes tier 1 business school... I dont deny experience counts... but from what school also.... but these schools is simply out of reach for normal ppl... as if the rich is making the school more richer like fees starting at 60k?!:(.... so sad...... :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.