www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Post-Degree Programs & Courses (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/)
-   -   Which MBA? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/mba-1852354.html)

aisehman 15-02-2008 10:07 AM

Guys,

I stumbled upon this forum while I was doing my research on part-time MBA. You guys are great!

I'm a regional manager in my late 20s, working for a European MNC and they have agreed to sponsor my MBA but I'm having second thoughts on:

1) Is MBA really that great? Should I get into something 'general' like MBA (it's so popular now) or should I get into something 'niche' like M.Sc in Supply Chain Management or M.Sc in International Business etc?

2) If it's MBA, i'm not sure which are the right MBA to take. I know I can't afford to go CSB, Insead, Stanford etc top-tier business school, hence, I would have to go for cheaper alternatives - mid-tier ones. Does it makes any difference of any mid-tier business school I pick? Take Strathchlyde and Manchester, does it makes any difference? Maybe this will lead me to my next question.

3) If it's part-time MBA, which school has a more well-rounded curriculum that focus on students development as a professional? I have enough of NTU/NUS style of teaching which is courseworks after courseworks, exams after exams - Are there any good and reputatable part-time MBA school out there that doesn't 'force' students to learn in this manner?

Hope you guys can help..

danzodanzo 15-02-2008 12:16 PM

1. Depending on your primary objectives of doing the MBA
- career switch vs advancement; knowledge development vs paper development, or both etc...

2. Check out their curriculum and see how they fits into your personal circumstances. Beyond this, you might also want to research the school management and consider where the school would be in say the next 5-20 years of your career.
MBA education is now a very competitive industry; will the school increase in rank/reputation/brand equity that will benefit its alumni?
Take Strathchlyde and Manchester, How much are you willing to pay now for the "future growth/value" you estimate it could give?

3. If you want a rigorous MBA, you can't escape from assessments in the form of assignments, group work, projects or exams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aisehman (Post 28218408)
Guys,

I stumbled upon this forum while I was doing my research on part-time MBA. You guys are great!

I'm a regional manager in my late 20s, working for a European MNC and they have agreed to sponsor my MBA but I'm having second thoughts on:

1) Is MBA really that great? Should I get into something 'general' like MBA (it's so popular now) or should I get into something 'niche' like M.Sc in Supply Chain Management or M.Sc in International Business etc?

2) If it's MBA, i'm not sure which are the right MBA to take. I know I can't afford to go CSB, Insead, Stanford etc top-tier business school, hence, I would have to go for cheaper alternatives - mid-tier ones. Does it makes any difference of any mid-tier business school I pick? Take Strathchlyde and Manchester, does it makes any difference? Maybe this will lead me to my next question.

3) If it's part-time MBA, which school has a more well-rounded curriculum that focus on students development as a professional? I have enough of NTU/NUS style of teaching which is courseworks after courseworks, exams after exams - Are there any good and reputatable part-time MBA school out there that doesn't 'force' students to learn in this manner?

Hope you guys can help..

AlucardHellSing1980 14-12-2008 02:11 PM

hi can anyone guide me how to apply Manchester or Stracytle MBA in Singapore? I tried searching thru the net and only find the school website itself. Do I need to travel to study or in Singapore for both?

What are MBA is recommended to study in Singapore besides the two mention above? Thanks.

cfachick 14-12-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlucardHellSing1980 (Post 34368853)
hi can anyone guide me how to apply Manchester or Stracytle MBA in Singapore? I tried searching thru the net and only find the school website itself. Do I need to travel to study or in Singapore for both?

What are MBA is recommended to study in Singapore besides the two mention above? Thanks.

Call the respective office for more details...Tink both are study in Singapore.

Manchester - http://www.mbs-worldwide.ac.uk/globa..._contactus.asp

Strathclyde - http://www.gsb.strath.ac.uk/mba/stud...re/default.asp

AlucardHellSing1980 14-12-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfachick (Post 34371744)
Call the respective office for more details...Tink both are study in Singapore.

Manchester - http://www.mbs-worldwide.ac.uk/globa..._contactus.asp

Strathclyde - http://www.gsb.strath.ac.uk/mba/stud...re/default.asp

Thanks!

Regards
Alucard

AlucardHellSing1980 14-12-2008 06:51 PM

if there is any other MBAs that can be considered please let me know as well...thanks.!

cetaphil 21-12-2008 05:25 AM

hi there

for those studying at Times for the Strathchlyde MBA, can i ask what are the class days and hours? I mean weekdays or weekends, Sat or Sun and weekdays night time what time.

I am considering to take up this but worried about the hours as I cant make it to leave office early.

Lastly, if you are given a choice, which will you take from the following?

1)University of Manchester
2) University of Nottingham
3) Unversity of Western Australia
4) University of Strathclyde
5) University of Hull
6) University of Bradford
7) University of Adelaide
8) University of Birmingham

Regards

direbmem 21-12-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cetaphil (Post 34534989)
hi there

for those studying at Times for the Strathchlyde MBA, can i ask what are the class days and hours? I mean weekdays or weekends, Sat or Sun and weekdays night time what time.

I am considering to take up this but worried about the hours as I cant make it to leave office early.

5) University of Hull

Regards

initially i feel UMan is the better of the lot but after i see the above posters describe until i feel strathclyde is the better and more value for money of the lot...

weicong 21-12-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

hi there

5) University of Hull

Regards

Y you exclude the birmingham MBA? Is it really that bad??

infocard9886 21-12-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

hi there

5) University of Hull

Regards

Intensive seminars and workshops are on sat and sun ( 9 am to 5pm), once to twice a month. Local counselling sessions are on weekdays, twice a week from 7pm to 9 pm. Attendance is required only for workshop. You can miss all the classes but still be able to attend exams.But most of us will attend all classes available unless we are overseas for work.

We can do our electives at other international centres. My classmates and I will be going to Glasgow for our elective next year for better exposure.

cetaphil 21-12-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weicong (Post 34538260)
Y you exclude the birmingham MBA? Is it really that bad??

i think it not bad
i included it

ac3knight 22-12-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infocard9886 (Post 34542406)
Intensive seminars and workshops are on sat and sun ( 9 am to 5pm), once to twice a month. Local counselling sessions are on weekdays, twice a week from 7pm to 9 pm. Attendance is required only for workshop. You can miss all the classes but still be able to attend exams.But most of us will attend all classes available unless we are overseas for work.

We can do our electives at other international centres. My classmates and I will be going to Glasgow for our elective next year for better exposure.

must you remained employed during the course?

or can u quit after u've enrolled?

infocard9886 22-12-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac3knight (Post 34555590)
must you remained employed during the course?

or can u quit after u've enrolled?

I not sure. You contact times directly.

smartfish 24-12-2008 09:41 AM

MBA

So may i know about the management staff, especially our programme administrator, are they help type? To me the administrator plays a impt role, as they will provides guidelines and help us channel our communications with the Uni people if we need to ask some questions.

smartfish 31-12-2008 09:33 AM

MBA

I called Times few days ago. The staff from there told me that they are moving to YMCA... I am so shocked to know about it as a organisation in Education and going to move to YMCA charity company????