www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Post-Degree Programs & Courses (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/)
-   -   Which MBA? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/mba-1852354.html)

Didjerama 06-08-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chottohen (Post 78509341)
Then you need to be prepared to answer why after so many years you're still at such a level. You may not be cut out for management or in the wrong coy.

You need to be asking do you really need an MBA and why are you doing it.

In such cases, a 1 year MBA with a top European school should help propel you further in your career. One year programs tend to have an older cohort with more work experience.

Thanks,cos i was asking.i was interested in insead.and when i applied,they asked me if i was interested in emba instead.but funny thing is i dun have a director or senior manager role,but i guess my project and personnel mgmnt experience helped

lee_tired_sheep 06-08-2013 11:04 PM

You applied already?

Didjerama 07-08-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee_tired_sheep (Post 78511920)
You applied already?

I haen officially submit but they have a service whereyou can meet their reps and show them your documents and they will give opinions and advice

alexljy 13-08-2013 01:02 AM

I have some questions regarding MBA that I hope people here can give me advice on.

1: I do intend to take an MBA to further my career, but having just graduated, should I pursue one within 1 or 2 years, without necessarily even junior management experience, or should I do so after say 5 years or so, when I have hopefully by then some junior management experience

2: How much do my grades in University affect my MBA admission chance. I wasnt too good a uni student, with a 3rd class honors, would that be a big detriment to my chances of a good MBA programme, or does the GMAT score play a larger role.

3: Should I take my GMAT now, since I am still fresh with an academic mindset, or should I wait till closer towards an MBA course.

Would appreciate if someone could help me with this questions, thanks.

Raider04 13-08-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexljy (Post 78674727)
I have some questions regarding MBA that I hope people here can give me advice on.

1: I do intend to take an MBA to further my career, but having just graduated, should I pursue one within 1 or 2 years, without necessarily even junior management experience, or should I do so after say 5 years or so, when I have hopefully by then some junior management experience

2: How much do my grades in University affect my MBA admission chance. I wasnt too good a uni student, with a 3rd class honors, would that be a big detriment to my chances of a good MBA programme, or does the GMAT score play a larger role.

3: Should I take my GMAT now, since I am still fresh with an academic mindset, or should I wait till closer towards an MBA course.

Would appreciate if someone could help me with this questions, thanks.

1: Depends on the school you are applying to. Anyway, they will usually required you to have at least 3 years of work experience.

2: GMAT and your meaningful work experience

3: GMAT is good for 5 years.

beefybug 19-08-2013 11:45 PM

Anyone applying to harvard or wharton?

Looking for fellow singaporeans.

FrostWurm 20-08-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefybug (Post 78860891)
Anyone applying to harvard or wharton?

Looking for fellow singaporeans.

omg how do you fund your studies man?

beefybug 20-08-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostWurm (Post 78868362)
omg how do you fund your studies man?

Cashed out on my investment style insurance.

htngwilliam 21-08-2013 09:45 AM

Guys

I am in my mid 30s and I graduated from NTU. I have been working for 8 years and is now currently a senior manager. I travel about 50% worldwide.

I am considering these 3 universities

1. University of Brimingham
2. University of Lancaster
3. University of Strathclyde

I didnt consider Insead etc because of the fees. I dont think the ROI is worthwhile because I would rather throw the $150k into a property to collect rental...The above 3 universities look pretty reasonable priced and I think having another "piece of paper" will add compliment to my CV.:D

I welcome some inputs.

dareaper 21-08-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htngwilliam (Post 78894720)
Guys

I am in my mid 30s and I graduated from NTU. I have been working for 8 years and is now currently a senior manager. I travel about 50% worldwide.

I didnt consider Insead etc because of the fees. I dont think the ROI is worthwhile because I would rather throw the $150k into a property to collect rental...The above 3 universities look pretty reasonable priced and I think having another "piece of paper" will add compliment to my CV.:D

I welcome some inputs.

So what do you want the (E)MBA to do for you? Just to look good on CV? Allow you to be considered for GM or C level positions in your company?

Some details about your job nature, such as company industry, whether you are in a customer facing role, etc, would help in determining your best option too.

chottohen 21-08-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htngwilliam (Post 78894720)
Guys

I welcome some inputs.

If you truly want something to compliment your CV, you'd apply to INSEAD. Its brand name and network is unparalleled compared to your other choices.

Sometimes, the value of the paper is more than just the school fees alone. Given your wealth of experience currently, an MBA from INSEAD should propel you even further, with a much higher ROI.

htngwilliam 21-08-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dareaper (Post 78896658)
So what do you want the (E)MBA to do for you? Just to look good on CV? Allow you to be considered for GM or C level positions in your company?

Some details about your job nature, such as company industry, whether you are in a customer facing role, etc, would help in determining your best option too.

I head the business unit and will be interacting a lot with customers. I didn't really consider E (MBA) as of now. I think the fees will be much more expensive?

lee_tired_sheep 21-08-2013 11:32 AM

William,

In terms of a % ROI, you may be right. In terms of an absolute figure, I would disagree.

htngwilliam 21-08-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chottohen (Post 78896879)
If you truly want something to compliment your CV, you'd apply to INSEAD. Its brand name and network is unparalleled compared to your other choices.

Sometimes, the value of the paper is more than just the school fees alone. Given your wealth of experience currently, an MBA from INSEAD should propel you even further, with a much higher ROI.

I consider Insead but I think the S$150k is a risk. Frankly speaking, I don't believe that piece of paper can do miracle. I think the MBA will be a backup for me if I need to change job. I already have some business, management experience but in Singapore, knowing and having a paper to show you know is different. I spoke to some senior management staff around industrial and most say MBA is just a piece of paper we need because we are in Singapore :s22:

htngwilliam 21-08-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee_tired_sheep (Post 78897097)
William,

In terms of a % ROI, you may be right. In terms of an absolute figure, I would disagree.

Care to show? I feel career and business is about opportunities & timing. Till date, I still remember what one of my business professor told me when I visited him years after I left the university

Prof: I taught MBA classes but some of my students are much better off than me. Imagine I drove a Mercedes Benz but some of them drove posh cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini. If MBA is really useful, I will be much better than them.