Which MBA?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think NUS, NTU and SMU are overcharge for their MBA which maybe the reason why people are looking at PEIs.

It looks like after 73 pages of reading, Strathclyde and manchester are the ones worth going for.

Suprised that NUS, NTU and SMU are so unpopular

zenoallo

Reaction score
If accreditation is same then maybe our local unis will lose out. I wont mind paying a little more for accreditation

I think NUS, NTU and SMU are overcharge for their MBA which maybe the reason why people are looking at PEIs.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apart from accreditation, I think local uni MBA are full with fresh graduate FT & have nothing much to network. That maybe the reason why PEI MBA courses have students who have experience similar to yourself that you can network with.

If accreditation is same then maybe our local unis will lose out. I wont mind paying a little more for accreditation

zenoallo

Reaction score
If you were to recommend 1 school to your son, which one will it be?

Apart from accreditation, I think local uni MBA are full with fresh graduate FT & have nothing much to network. That maybe the reason why PEI MBA courses have students who have experience similar to yourself that you can network with.

ghost_83

Reaction score

The local MBAs require candidate to have a min 2 year working experience. So they are not fresh graduates.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time UniSIM degree needs candidate to have a min of 2 year working experience. End up those who enter are using part time jobs & NS experience. Same apply to our Big3 local Uni.

When you start working for more then 2 years, how many will quit their job to study full time MBA? When school do not have the demand for opening a class, what do they do to find supply of students? How real is international students' supporting documents for working experience?

The local MBAs require candidate to have a min 2 year working experience. So they are not fresh graduates.

zenoallo

Reaction score
I am torn between local or PEI because Bain and Co recognise our local MBA degree for employment.

Recommend a Local and PEI?

Last time UniSIM degree needs candidate to have a min of 2 year working experience. End up those who enter are using part time jobs & NS experience. Same apply to our Big3 local Uni.

When you start working for more then 2 years, how many will quit their job to study full time MBA? When school do not have the demand for opening a class, what do they do to find supply of students? How real is international students' supporting documents for working experience?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you work in Government/Public sector, they only recognize full time local Master degree. I will recommend NTU-MBA (Accountancy) because it can help you get CA Sg. For PEI, I will chose Strathclyde because it is triple accreditation (AMBA, AACSB and EQUIS)‏ & around the market rate course fee for DL MBA (manchester is only good for ranking but course fee is too much for DL MBA that are not worth for ROI).

I am torn between local or PEI because Bain and Co recognise our local MBA degree for employment.

Recommend a Local and PEI?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On average, a module taught by Strathcylde professor is about 16-24 hours. Most modules have a local counsellor to assist you with your assignments and revisions (4 lessons 3 hours each). Apart from that, you can always approach your business school seniors (Strathclyde have been running their MBA program in Singapore for more than 20 years).

Strathcylde is not a fancy university (no fancy facilities in Singapore, no posh alumni gatherings) but it is a good university with long history.

1. Ranking is reasonable good in both FT and Economist

2. Triple Acreditation

3. Long history in Singapore (Plenty of opportunities to network, meet seniors and continue learning - MBA is not all about attending classes and reading books)

4. Value for $$. $35k for Strathclyde. Adeliade is about $30k? Birmingham about $30k also

5. Multiple education centers. Can take class anywhere in KL, Scotland, Dubai etc....useful if you need to travel or want to meet people from other countries

Factors to consider

1. Deep pocket or sponsorship. Go ahead if you have deep pockets or company sponsorship and can get into Insead, Harvard. Otherwise, think whether is it is worthwhile to spend $60-120k on education?

2. Faculty and cohorts. I believe each schools have their fair shares of lousy professors and selfish classmates.

3. How much effort are you willing to put in. Adeliade doesn't have dissertation. Strathcylde is not easy. Manchester is even tougher

4. Ranking. Seriously I think there is too much hype in the ranking which I think doesn't make sense. Adeliade doesn't have a good ranking but I think 2 of Singapore president graduated from Adeliade so it it a lousy school?

Hope the above info is useful. Feel free to pm me if you need further information

2 Singapore president grad from there back in the day when few venture overseas for edu. Go drink AMDK water auto become AMDK.

Triple accreditation don't mean much, iirc Harvard not triple crown.

If can get into Harvard or the likes, take loan no need deep pockets or family rich. The ROI better than your cheap $30k uni.
A buddy's son go Stanford on loan, 2-4 yrs all paid off plus he making more $$. Spend $30k earn $100k or spend $200k earn $400k which better? At the end of day who in the lead?

Last edited:

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 Singapore president grad from there back in the day when few venture overseas for edu. Go drink AMDK water auto become AMDK.

Triple accreditation don't mean much, iirc Harvard not triple crown.

If can get into Harvard or the likes, take loan no need deep pockets or family rich. The ROI better than your cheap $30k uni.
A buddy's son go Stanford on loan, 2-4 yrs all paid off plus he making more $$. Spend $30k earn $100k or spend $200k earn $400k which better? At the end of day who in the lead?
Different classes of MBA cater to different social class of people. People who can get admitted to Harvard/Insead elite MBA program are those who have very good head start in their life. Excellent A-level grade, bachelor from top universities, excellent career experience. They are the one who are likely to join the top MNC to earn the 400k remuneration. However for those who doesn't has that, could always join a less reputable uni for MBA, probably not earning 400k but at a level that is still sufficient for a comfortable life . The key is living within your own constraint. Personally, I do not think PEI or even local MBA program can help much in my career pursuit as I lack good working experience and has lackluster qualifications... I still enrolled for one with Uni of Adelaide to make myself stay competitive. I know it wouldn't rake me good money, but I believe it can give me some idea to startup a business.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.