HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which MBA?

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #1186

Hi there! You should totally work on your GMAT even though it's only one of the many factors taken into account during your application - aim for high 600s for local unis (NUS, SMU, NTU) or break 700 to stand a chance in the US Top 20. US Ivy League/M7 is a whole different ballgame.
US schools also look at your undergrad GPA so if that is lacking, you'll need to make up for it in your GMAT score.

7+ years is unusually long for pre-MBA experience, especially for US schools. Pushing for a US admit will be a challenge to be honest. You might want to prioritize European schools which typically take in more mature MBA students.

You're looking at a significant investment for US schools if you don't have a scholarship because most are 2-year courses. Can cost upwards of 300k for a top school. European or definitely local MBAs are more cost-efficient.

If you're facing serious financial/time constraints, consider a local uni, perhaps even a part-time course there. Of course a local MBA will limit your opportunities but that depends on what your post-MBA goals are.

Hi all, I am in a dilemma on getting an MBA. Am putting the decision on hold due to uncertain financial and time commitments. Currently have 7+ yrs of exp, a junior mgr but have good track record and overseas consultancy experience. I have not done my GMAT yet and want to plan for one soon. I grad from sim-uol. Not sure if this affects my entry and which uni is suitable for my choice.

- how hard is it to get into the ivy league uni in US/ UK, and how much $$ am I looking at?
- Similarly, how hard is it for local uni?
C0tt0ncandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #1187
Arch-Supremacy Member

7+ years is unusually long for pre-MBA experience, especially for US schools. Pushing for a US admit will be a challenge to be honest. You might want to prioritize European schools which typically take in more mature MBA students.
not uncommon for American Uni to take mature students too.
having said so I don't know the ratio or % when we compare EU vs US Uni.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #1188

not uncommon for American Uni to take mature students too.
having said so I don't know the ratio or % when we compare EU vs US Uni.
Mm it certainly isn't impossible, but it's less likely. The average age at matriculation for the Top 10 US schools is 27/28. Of course if you're looking at Top 20 and beyond, the average tends to trend upward.
European schools have the average age around 29/30 or older.
Old 16-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #1189
Arch-Supremacy Member

How many elite will be in these low cost program, networking worthless really. F2F is for facilitating networking

Online need to put in more effort to network, even if u cannot gain from networking at least paper look good. Better than those uni no networking value and paper also no there
Makes sense. I expanded my search and found this pretty interesting.

Its much higher in cost ($75K) and is a joint collaboration between IE business school and SMU. Its what they call a blended programme where its a mix of F2F and online sessions.

https://www.ie-smu-mba.com
Old 27-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #1190
Arch-Supremacy Member

it's been very quiet here lately
Shingoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #1191
High Supremacy Member

any weekend MBA course in Malaysia?
for well known uni like Monash, Nottingham etc?
vbhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #1192

Hi

I am planning to join MBA with Strathclyde at YMCA. Is there anyone here currently studying there or anyone completed MBA in past?

I want to understand how is the course? how is local support here in Singapore?

Thanks
curiousbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #1193
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hmm I believe there are quite a few students from the school.
Hi

I am planning to join MBA with Strathclyde at YMCA. Is there anyone here currently studying there or anyone completed MBA in past?

I want to understand how is the course? how is local support here in Singapore?

Thanks
Old 31-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #1194
Arch-Supremacy Member

IE-SMU MBA

I've just gotten the offer letter for the Ie-smu program and am highly likely going to enroll.

Anyone here going for the same program? Happy to take question relating to the enrollment too.
FuNkDeViL likes this.

Last edited by Shingoz; 05-08-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Old 01-08-2017, 01:41 AM   #1195

INSEAD or NUS one better ?
Old 02-08-2017, 12:55 AM   #1196

INSEAD. It's more recognized globally. They're in a different league from any local colleges in SG.

INSEAD or NUS one better ?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #1197
Arch-Supremacy Member

By leaps and bound.
It's ranked world no 1 for past 2 years.

It's alot of expensive and harder to get in too.

INSEAD. It's more recognized globally. They're in a different league from any local colleges in SG.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #1198

I'd take the FT ranking (which ranks INSEAD as #1) with a pinch of salt.
Among the EU MBAs, INSEAD is probably #1, with LBS as a close contender.
But it still has a long way to go before it can dethrone the M7 in the US.

By leaps and bound.
It's ranked world no 1 for past 2 years.

It's alot of expensive and harder to get in too.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #1199

Things to consider for an MBA, especially those that are 2-years long:

1) Looking cost of the MBA, you can go on a world tour 10 times and still have money left over. Alternatively you could also buy a property in sexpensive Singapore.
2) Content is very similar to undergrad biz sch education.
3) 'Networking' isn't all it's hyped up to be. May work for some but definitely not for most.
4) Most employers don't care as much about the MBA as much as your previous work experience, especially in Asia.
5) The MBA is simply not as valued as before. The world increasingly demands specialization: data analytics, cyber security, robotics, biotechnology, etc. rather than a general business degree.
6) Traditional employers of the MBA are also looking for niche skills. Gone are the days where one can simply waltz into banking/consulting and expect a huge salary.

Do an MBA if:

1) You are rich enough that costs don't matter.
2) You really want to be associated with a top-notch institution because it boosts your self-esteem.
3) You want a career break, but need an excuse (in that case, do a reasonable one in a country you like).
4) Your company is paying part or all of your fees.
5) You are willing to take the risk of spending a large sum of money and not getting your desired outcome.
6) You want to try and get a job overseas after the MBA, despite the uncertainty in immigration policies in most countries.
7) You are in YOLO-mode and are thoroughly convinced that the MBA experience is worth any cost (many people actually belong to this category).

Other alternatives:
Professional certifications (CPA, PMP, Professional Engineer)
Specialized masters degrees (usually cheaper)
Spending the money on a property and collecting rental income
Spending the money on holidays with your loved ones
♥Strawberry♥ likes this.

Last edited by FrostWurm; 06-08-2017 at 07:05 PM..
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #1200

Things to consider for an MBA, especially those that are 2-years long:

1) Looking cost of the MBA, you can go on a world tour 10 times and still have money left over. Alternatively you could also buy a property in sexpensive Singapore.
2) Content is very similar to undergrad biz sch education.
3) 'Networking' isn't all it's hyped up to be. May work for some but definitely not for most.
4) Most employers don't care as much about the MBA as much as your previous work experience, especially in Asia.
5) The MBA is simply not as valued as before. The world increasingly demands specialization: data analytics, cyber security, robotics, biotechnology, etc. rather than a general business degree.
6) Traditional employers of the MBA are also looking for niche skills. Gone are the days where one can simply waltz into banking/consulting and expect a huge salary.

Do an MBA if:

1) You are rich enough that costs don't matter.
2) You really want to be associated with a top-notch institution because it boosts your self-esteem.
3) You want a career break, but need an excuse (in that case, do a reasonable one in a country you like).
4) Your company is paying part or all of your fees.
5) You are willing to take the risk of spending a large sum of money and not getting your desired outcome.
6) You want to try and get a job overseas after the MBA, despite the uncertainty in immigration policies in most countries.
7) You are in YOLO-mode and are thoroughly convinced that the MBA experience is worth any cost (many people actually belong to this category).

Other alternatives:
Professional certifications (CPA, PMP, Professional Engineer)
Specialized masters degrees (usually cheaper)
Spending the money on a property and collecting rental income
Spending the money on holidays with your loved ones
As many have mentioned. The value of an MBA depends on the person's profile. If you do not have your own value preposition in the industry, then clearly MBA is not as beneficial.
Asslann is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.