HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Which MBA?

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #1246

Are the cost fees tagged to modules or semesters? Thanks!
Tag to modules.
king1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #1247

is this online mba any good? can it open up investment banking and consultancy MBB doors?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/business-...es/global-mba/
My opinion - Employers / hiring mgrs generally have the perception that online mba is of a lower league than traditional brick and mortar mba.
king1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #1248

is this online mba any good? can it open up investment banking and consultancy MBB doors?
Not for MBB, but maybe other consulting firms. MBB usually only recruits from the Top 15 US b-schools and only the Top 1-2 UK/EU b-schools. Imperial is not one of them.
C0tt0ncandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #1249

I get admission in NUS and SMU MBA, need to decide by this week. Leaning toward NUS though.

Selling points:
NUS: better career service, more selective admission process/candidates
SMU: more westernized teaching style but internship and electives are to be taken concurrently (internship during office hours and attend classes at night).

Any advice?
bayugiri78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #1250

I get admission in NUS and SMU MBA, need to decide by this week. Leaning toward NUS though.

Selling points:
SMU: more westernized teaching style but internship and electives are to be taken concurrently (internship during office hours and attend classes at night).

Any advice?
Both has its pros and cons:

1.NUS = worldwide university reputation, better ranked MBA programme, 1.5 years means u learn more stuff (important if you are serious about learning academically)

2. SMU = well known for business, 1 year means u forgo less income

Perception-wise, NUS MBA will be harder to get in than SMU MBA.

If I were u: if u didnt do undergrad in NUS, then do NUS MBA, the choice is clear. If u did then change school do SMU MBA? Have a diff uni in ur resume will look better, diff experience and perspective.
aaronau522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #1251

Selling points:

Any advice?

Do more research about what are your career goals and what you hope to achieve out of this. Selectivity of candidates =/= how much returns you get out of the programme.

Think about the field you want to go into and look at the programme to understand how successful it has been in placements into your field.

Internships during semester isn't a bad thing if you are looking into a career change and lack the relevant experience on your CV. Tough but might be a blessing in disguise.
ruixiang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #1252

Both has its pros and cons:

1.NUS = worldwide university reputation, better ranked MBA programme, 1.5 years means u learn more stuff (important if you are serious about learning academically)

2. SMU = well known for business, 1 year means u forgo less income

Perception-wise, NUS MBA will be harder to get in than SMU MBA.

If I were u: if u didnt do undergrad in NUS, then do NUS MBA, the choice is clear. If u did then change school do SMU MBA? Have a diff uni in ur resume will look better, diff experience and perspective.
Usually ppl take MBA to switch into high flying jobs like Consultancy, High Finance.

I think NUS would be a better ROI, since u could leverage on the brand name and alumni base for jobs. +MBA probably is for networking?
silentears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #1253

Usually ppl take MBA to switch into high flying jobs like Consultancy, High Finance.

I think NUS would be a better ROI, since u could leverage on the brand name and alumni base for jobs. +MBA probably is for networking?
thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I've made decision to go for NUS. Wish me luck!
bayugiri78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #1254

Hi, understand there is an option for online or classroom based classes.
Q:
1. Any diff in course fees;
2. Online learning offered for all modules or some;
3. What is the % allocation between coursework and exam for each module?
1. I took the MBA in SIM - current course fee ard 32k+ (Took mine when course fees were 28k). Online not too sure.

2. Canít offer much help here.

3. For the SIM route, usual allocation is 50% assignment 50% exams. Minority modules are project work and assignments only. Of course, there is a end year dissertation.
For Birmingham and Strathclyde, i believe is more general - but you can chose more finance related electives.

For Nottingham, there is an option to focus on finance. The title is MBA(Finance).

Disclaimer: This is my understanding when I did my various MBA analysis in 2013.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/business-...es/global-mba/
i can only do online MBA due to schedule.
any current student or alumni from EBS of heriot watt uni?
https://www.ebsglobal.net/study-with-us/examinations

when u complete an online MBA, the credentials are the same as classroom.
why does future employer value it lower ?

does mba really open up more doors?
any one with actual experience , post mba?
foozgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #1255

Hi, anyone currently applying for Manchester Business School Global MBA programme for Jan 2019 intake? We could apply together and share the referral fees? Anyone interested, kindly drop me a message.
aaronau522 likes this.
dameun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #1256

OK, I read up more on this forum and think that I should remove my silly questions in previous post.

Now, I kind of shortlisted below. Please share your thoughts. I know some will says go to top notch ones, but I know I wouldn't be able to make it academically and financially. I'm not expecting huge income jump or got enrolled to top consultation firm. This is for personal development and to stay competitive in the career. Thanks.

Strathclyde YMCA
Birmingham SIM
University of Sunderland MDIS
University of Northumbria Kaplan

Last edited by *=gim=*; 08-08-2018 at 11:17 PM..
*=gim=* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #1257
Great Supremacy Member

OK, I read up more on this forum and think that I should remove my silly questions in previous post.

Now, I kind of shortlisted below. Please share your thoughts. I know some will says go to top notch ones, but I know I wouldn't be able to make it academically and financially. I'm not expecting huge income jump or got enrolled to top consultation firm. This is for personal development and to stay competitive in the career. Thanks.

Strathclyde YMCA
Birmingham SIM
University of Sunderland MDIS
University of Northumbria Kaplan
Birmingham and Strathclyde is $30k+ ?

if it's for personal development, have you considered UOL's global MBA ?

https://mba.london.ac.uk/

it's $24k SGD (Band B countries fees), but u can OTOT pay per module to do. less stressful and at least it's a UOL brand.

If you know how to life hack and register your course from Malaysia or Indonesia, you pay band A fees, which is only $16k SGD for the whole program
Old 10-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #1258

I added the cost I surveyed. I was looking at University of Bradford by MDIS, but apparently no longer offered in SG. I did consider online but feel like F2F better.

Strathclyde YMCA SGD40k
Birmingham SIM SGD33k
University of Sunderland MDIS SGD23K
University of Northumbria KAPLAN SGD23K
kydenchoong likes this.
*=gim=* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #1259

The Nanyang MBA
Old 10-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #1260

I added the cost I surveyed. I was looking at University of Bradford by MDIS, but apparently no longer offered in SG. I did consider online but feel like F2F better.

Strathclyde YMCA SGD40k
Birmingham SIM SGD33k
University of Sunderland MDIS SGD23K
University of Northumbria KAPLAN SGD23K
You might as well just take a local uni MBA, better brand and career support.
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.