HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS Graduate Diploma in Systems Analysis

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #256

Just to provide some context:

I actually graduated from university with a language related degree a few months ago and have been going for countless interviews up till today. However, i always get rejected at the very first round of interview by email or in some cases, the hiring manager won't even bother to inform me through email. Also, the salary im asking for is actually in the mid 2k which i feel is sort of the market rate for my degree. I would say i have a slight interest in coding as i often see coding related videos on youtube so thats about it.

To sum things up, my main motivation to register is firstly because of my interest as well as the potential of coding as Singapore is looking at the smart nation initiative. Secondly, the starting pay of fresh IT grads as the salary is easily 3k and above. But, i just have my doubts about the credibility of this course as 6 months is frankly speaking abit to short to train someone to be competent in coding n programming.
Not to sound discouraging, but for better or for worse, there is some form of a pecking order when it comes to employing fresh grads.

A common filtering process is as such:

1) Do you have a relevant internship?
2) What is your major?
3) Which university are you from?

I think even if you do enter and graduate from the course, you will probably end up doing business analyst or project manager roles. If you really want to code then you will have to put in a lot more effort.
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #257

going for so many interviews as a fresh grad is normal.. even experienced graduates are having problems securing a job nowadays...

starting pay of fresh IT grads easily 3k and above - please la, that is what the media wants you to believe.. those 3k and above for fresh grads, multiple interviews, multiple rounds of tests for programming, the media only paint the nice picture but never tell you all the hoops and throughs one might have to go through in order to get the job..

you say you have interest in coding.. but only watch coding related videos on youtube.. that is not interest at all. try to code a single program from scratch (watch + do).. then that is real interest. from there you will be able to see whether you got interest or not.

currently it seems like you are just looking to this as an escape because you cant find a job as a fresh grad..

but if you really have interest in coding and dont want to spend so much on the course yet, let me suggest an alternative.. ask some of these companies for an 3-6 month internship/part-time in programming related roles.. after all you dont have a job now and this way you wont need to spend 16k to gauge your interest in this industry.. you will be surprised a lot of them are willing to give you this chance if you can show you really have an interest in coding to them .. after that then you can decide whether you want to spend the 16k to further your ooportunities or who knows maybe the company decides to hire you full time..
Alright, thanks so much for the advice !
Armaggeddonz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #258

Not to sound discouraging, but for better or for worse, there is some form of a pecking order when it comes to employing fresh grads.

A common filtering process is as such:

1) Do you have a relevant internship?
2) What is your major?
3) Which university are you from?

I think even if you do enter and graduate from the course, you will probably end up doing business analyst or project manager roles. If you really want to code then you will have to put in a lot more effort.
I actually graduated from a lower tier local university with a language related degree and did not have any relevant internship to my course of study. Main reason being that i did not realize the importance of relevant internship experience back in my university days and my friends around me did not feel that internship was all that important.

However, all of them managed to secure a job one month after graduation, but they were in the finance industry though. I really felt like i was the odd one out without a job and that i was letting my parents down.

I happen to chance upon the grad dip program online and felt like it was my chance to redeem myself even though im in my mid twenties and it would probably be the last time i would embark on a path of formal education. It's kinda like a leap of faith for me.
Old 30-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #259

I actually graduated from a lower tier local university with a language related degree and did not have any relevant internship to my course of study. Main reason being that i did not realize the importance of relevant internship experience back in my university days and my friends around me did not feel that internship was all that important.

However, all of them managed to secure a job one month after graduation, but they were in the finance industry though. I really felt like i was the odd one out without a job and that i was letting my parents down.

I happen to chance upon the grad dip program online and felt like it was my chance to redeem myself even though im in my mid twenties and it would probably be the last time i would embark on a path of formal education. It's kinda like a leap of faith for me.
kinda same situation as you. I think if you are < 6mths since graduation, you might be able to get an internship. I assume you are from local uni? You can go back to the career office to look for them for resume help and use your school career account before it expires.

If your parents are supportive of higher education and can help pay for it, I would say go for a Master' program in something that is subsided by the government (by coursework). It will give you another year for you to rebrand.

Alternative pathway: there are bootcamps hosted by the polytechnic nowadays, like the NP data science, NYP marketing. Those cost about 1k and maybe you can take a look.

Sometimes really if need to put food on table, I think just get a random job first la, it hurts the soul but this is the sad reality.

Humanities degree should be able to get a job in government related industry/ mass comm? If you are interested in marketing, you can try those social media jobs, which require good writing skills.

Last edited by silentears; 30-09-2019 at 05:04 PM..
silentears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #260

kinda same situation as you. I think if you are < 6mths since graduation, you might be able to get an internship. I assume you are from local uni? You can go back to the career office to look for them for resume help and use your school career account before it expires.

If your parents are supportive of higher education and can help pay for it, I would say go for a Master' program in something that is subsided by the government (by coursework). It will give you another year for you to rebrand.

Alternative pathway: there are bootcamps hosted by the polytechnic nowadays, like the NP data science, NYP marketing. Those cost about 1k and maybe you can take a look.

Sometimes really if need to put food on table, I think just get a random job first la, it hurts the soul but this is the sad reality.

Humanities degree should be able to get a job in government related industry/ mass comm? If you are interested in marketing, you can try those social media jobs, which require good writing skills.
kinda same situation as me ? u just graduated from a local uni few months ago too ?

I actually applied for a social media job a few months back but i got rejected after the first round of interview as the interviewer was looking for someone with a marketing degree with at least 1 yr of exp.

Worst comes to worse, most likely i will just get a random job to tank first. Really kills me deep down inside but i guess this is the price i have to pay.
Old 24-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #261

Hi,

Has anyone taken the aptitude test for the upcoming Feb 2020 batch of GDipSA program ? Anyone has any idea what is the minimum passing mark to score for the test in order to be shortlisted for a interview?

Was feeling quite demoralized after doing the test as i realized the 1 hour time frame to attempt a total of 40 questions was definitely not a walk in the park and i eventually didn't have time to do quite a few questions relating to the math calculations. The equations were all damn freaking long as compared to the sample Aptitude Test. Therefore, i was wondering if there is some form of cutoff point for the test or it will be based on the quota for locals and non-locals alike ?
Old 25-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #262

Hi,

Has anyone taken the aptitude test for the upcoming Feb 2020 batch of GDipSA program ? Anyone has any idea what is the minimum passing mark to score for the test in order to be shortlisted for a interview?

Was feeling quite demoralized after doing the test as i realized the 1 hour time frame to attempt a total of 40 questions was definitely not a walk in the park and i eventually didn't have time to do quite a few questions relating to the math calculations. The equations were all damn freaking long as compared to the sample Aptitude Test. Therefore, i was wondering if there is some form of cutoff point for the test or it will be based on the quota for locals and non-locals alike ?
Hi took the test yesterday and received an invite for the interview today - I didnt managed to complete about 8 questions (just randomly pick a choice to shade in the end)
kaylelel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #263

Hi took the test yesterday and received an invite for the interview today - I didnt managed to complete about 8 questions (just randomly pick a choice to shade in the end)
You must be really good at the math component then considering the fact that you only left out 8 questions. Personally, I must have left out more than 10 questions during my attempt at the test itself.

Did the invite for the interview indicate whether it is a 1 to 1 interview or will it be a group interview ?

Any seniors able to share their previous experiences on the interview itself ?
Old 27-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #264

Hi,

high chance to get in, even if u don't finish the paper. 40q/60mins not meant to accurately finish all. but skip those that need more than 1 min / question.

i dont think many locals applied, so long as you have a local uni degree with 2nd lower, should be alright.

just need to talk your way through in the interview + repeat what you wrote in the personal statement.

why u want to be in the program, how you cope, career outcome, how you got the "spark".

regarding your 1st question you can pm me.

Last edited by silentears; 27-10-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Old 29-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #265

my session was one to one interview. Received offer letter two days ago
sakura86718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #266

Offer letter as in offer of enrollment ?

You must have done pretty well during the aptitude test then
Old 29-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #267

my session was one to one interview. Received offer letter two days ago
Just got my offer of enrollment letter 2 days ago too

Offer letter as in offer of enrollment ?

You must have done pretty well during the aptitude test then
I took my aptitude test in late Sept and had my 1-to-1 interview around mid-Oct. The interviewer did mention that while I did okay in my diagramming component (flow chart), my math and reasoning portion was quite weak (which I randomly hantam during the last 15 mins of the quiz), so don't lose hope!

I don't have any knowledge in coding though, so I was advised by the interviewer to at least pick up C# and Java before the course begins. Overall, the interviewer is really nice, they just want to know why you would like to pursue this course (passion) and ask about your experiences etc.
What-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #268

Just went for my interview today, the interviewer didn't mention anything about the results of my aptitude test. I wonder if we had the same interviewer though, but the interviewer was really nice during the session
Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #269

Just went for my interview today, the interviewer didn't mention anything about the results of my aptitude test. I wonder if we had the same interviewer though, but the interviewer was really nice during the session
means you passed the test la
Old 08-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #270

means you passed the test la
haha no idea man, kinda curious what is their definition of passing the test though. I have yet to receive my offer letter, hopefully will be able to get it soon
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.