HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS Graduate Diploma in Systems Analysis

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #271

Just got my offer letter recently, planning to buy a new laptop as i have been using my current one for more than 5 years.

Any recommendations on what kind of specs i should go for ?
Armaggeddonz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 02:06 AM   #272

Just got my offer letter recently, planning to buy a new laptop as i have been using my current one for more than 5 years.

Any recommendations on what kind of specs i should go for ?
Get a laptop with a decent keyboard and screen.

Most programming tasks are not CPU intensive at all. Laptop with 8GB RAM + SSD should be more than enough, should be relatively cheap.

Almost any programming task will deal with objects stored in memory, so RAM would help in that regard. Unless you'll be working on some ungodly large project (Which you won't as a student), you're not going to need that much RAM. SSD would help your stuff boot up/load faster, which is a nice feeling.
anonanon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #273

Get a laptop with a decent keyboard and screen.

Most programming tasks are not CPU intensive at all. Laptop with 8GB RAM + SSD should be more than enough, should be relatively cheap.

Almost any programming task will deal with objects stored in memory, so RAM would help in that regard. Unless you'll be working on some ungodly large project (Which you won't as a student), you're not going to need that much RAM. SSD would help your stuff boot up/load faster, which is a nice feeling.
Thanks for the advice, i am actually planning to buy a lenovo laptop as it seems to be a popular choice when it comes to coding and programming related.

In terms of SSD storage, would you recommend to go for 512 gb or will the the 256gb SSD be enough ?
Armaggeddonz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #274

Thanks for the advice, i am actually planning to buy a lenovo laptop as it seems to be a popular choice when it comes to coding and programming related.

In terms of SSD storage, would you recommend to go for 512 gb or will the the 256gb SSD be enough ?
256gb SSD is enough, but I went with 512 gb SSD because of gaming.
anonanon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.