HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS Graduate Diploma in Systems Analysis

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #76

Thank you bro. This is the first time I heard General Assembly. Did some research and seems attractive.
Yup, GA is quite well known in industry and they got grads hired by startups and big companies such as Google, IBM. Courses are not cheap though but they have tie up with IMDA Singapore for big subsidy. Content wise they are more towards web development and data science. Heard its very intensive as well and they really train you to hit ground running.

If die die looking for masters from local U, NTU also has a Msc in Info Sys. Syllabus is different but more or less same objective to train ppl for industry. However, it seems to be quite low profile and they don't do much marketing of the program to my knowledge. Didn't consider cos campus is really too far away.
Anon7108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #77

what sort of preparations
Read up lor. Within half a year want to train ppl in so many languages and framework, best to start early.

I should be getting a new ultrabook laptop from Dell. Just curious, are you guys mid-career switchers too? If so, were you all doing anything IT-related prior?
Previous work not IT related but not entirely newbie. Have some IT knowlege acquired out of personal interest and hobby.
Old 18-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #78

Nus Iss Gdip

Now currently doing the gdip program, it's quite easy to get in I reckon, so long as you're keen to learn. I regretted not doing any readings/practice beforehand. The course is tiring and exhausting, covers a lot of things but not in depth. Suggest starting on c# and asp.net if you want a leg up. Java too. There's multiple frameworks they will teach and if you think you have time to study, have your life on weekends, forget it. For someone like me that went in on pure interest and want a career switch with no experience with IT whatsoever, you will suffer greatly. The good thing about nus iss is that they have connections and you can get internships at big companies. It will be a majority of overseas students, so be prepared to work with people of various ages, different nationalities, chances are you will be the minority. It really is a full time commitment, so if you're on the fence about the whole thing in the first place, don't do it.
world-class likes this.
withoutomission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #79
Arch-Supremacy Member

Now currently doing the gdip program, it's quite easy to get in I reckon, so long as you're keen to learn. I regretted not doing any readings/practice beforehand. The course is tiring and exhausting, covers a lot of things but not in depth. Suggest starting on c# and asp.net if you want a leg up. Java too. There's multiple frameworks they will teach and if you think you have time to study, have your life on weekends, forget it. For someone like me that went in on pure interest and want a career switch with no experience with IT whatsoever, you will suffer greatly. The good thing about nus iss is that they have connections and you can get internships at big companies. It will be a majority of overseas students, so be prepared to work with people of various ages, different nationalities, chances are you will be the minority. It really is a full time commitment, so if you're on the fence about the whole thing in the first place, don't do it.
thank you senpai
what else do we have to read/practice ?
Wockets#1532
iridiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #80

Hi, I just got the offer for the program and glad to come across this forum. Thanks a lot for your info!

Btw, do most of the lecturers teach in Windows or Mac OS? If it's Windows, will you suggest to use a Windows laptop to be in sync with the lecturer?
teweyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #81

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. For a non-IT person like yourself (prior to GDipSA), do you think the coursework is difficult? Also, is project work grouping done by course instructor, or people choose their own teammates?
world-class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #82

The instructors use windows, but there are students that uses a MacBook, so long as you can get sql and visual studio on it- most partition or have a virtual machine. They do recommend minimum of 8gb ram, to run programs faster. I suggest starting with basic C# and work your way into sql and then asp.net,also html and css. If there's time definitely some java. I believe the curriculum is changing next term, python and machine learning might be included. So that too, if you have time. The groups are pre-assigned and you'll know on the first day, they balance the groups with different nationalities/gender/experience so you'll have a good mix of people with varying ages. It is heavily based on programming with exams being 70% and the rest group assignments. There are design elements and soft skills like project management but the credits for those are low. Personally if you try out programming and hate it, it's absolutely miserable. If you're looking to become a developer, this course is like a boot camp to give you the skills to be able to do full stack.
Old 19-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #83

The instructors use windows, but there are students that uses a MacBook, so long as you can get sql and visual studio on it- most partition or have a virtual machine. They do recommend minimum of 8gb ram, to run programs faster. I suggest starting with basic C# and work your way into sql and then asp.net,also html and css. If there's time definitely some java. I believe the curriculum is changing next term, python and machine learning might be included. So that too, if you have time. The groups are pre-assigned and you'll know on the first day, they balance the groups with different nationalities/gender/experience so you'll have a good mix of people with varying ages. It is heavily based on programming with exams being 70% and the rest group assignments. There are design elements and soft skills like project management but the credits for those are low. Personally if you try out programming and hate it, it's absolutely miserable. If you're looking to become a developer, this course is like a boot camp to give you the skills to be able to do full stack.
Bro, thank you for taking the time to share this information and valuable guidance. Really appreciate the heads up, it's what I expect of program given the curriculum I see.
Could you also advise to best of your experience:

1) What a typical schedule is like for the day. Is it like 9-5 thing everyday packed all 5 days?
2) Do they also go by modules? If yes, how many modules do you need to clear for entire course. Need to take general electives?
3) How is dropout rate like, do people generally finish course within timeframe?
4) For yr cohort, roughly how many percent are locals? Curious because it seems we have no lack of demand from locals but yet we end up minority?
5) Are most of the students mid-career with prior working experience?

Thanks in advance
Old 19-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #84
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bro, thank you for taking the time to share this information and valuable guidance. Really appreciate the heads up, it's what I expect of program given the curriculum I see.

1) What a typical schedule is like for the day. Is it like 9-5 thing everyday packed all 5 days?
2) Do they also go by modules? If yes, how many modules do you need to clear for entire course. Need to take general electives?
3) How is dropout rate like, do people generally finish course within timeframe?
4) For yr cohort, roughly how many percent are locals? Curious because it seems we have no lack of demand from locals but yet we end up minority?

Thanks in advance
2)

https://www.iss.nus.edu.sg/graduate-...s#tabsParent_2

3) To be awarded the Graduate Diploma in Systems Analysis, students are required to:

Fulfil the minimum attendance rate
Complete all continuous assessments
Pass all exam papers
Attain the minimum Cumulative Grade Point
Complete the Industrial Attachment satisfactorily
For the past three intakes, our passing rate has been on an average of 91%.
Wockets#1532
Old 20-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #85
Arch-Supremacy Member

any locals in your course stayed in hostel ?
Wockets#1532
Old 20-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #86

Does anyone know if there will be many pages of notes for this course? Thinking if I should top up toner for my home printer.
world-class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #87

I saw that and I was thinking if they all separate modules, thats a lot for one sem if they wan to accomodate. Somemore they don't have any module codes, which is strange, maybe iss stands alone from nus and hence wondering if ppl can take general electives. If he can share if those topics are combined into how many modules, would be good to see how deep they want to go into each subject.

3) To be awarded the Graduate Diploma in Systems Analysis, students are required to:

Fulfil the minimum attendance rate
Complete all continuous assessments
Pass all exam papers
Attain the minimum Cumulative Grade Point
Complete the Industrial Attachment satisfactorily
For the past three intakes, our passing rate has been on an average of 91%.
Ya, but thats not my question...

Regarding hostel, we are generally last on list. Priority given to research postgrad, even coursework masters they tell them to look elsewhere for non-hall accom because of high demand. Some more we only on campus for just those few months
Old 22-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #88

Thanks in advance
Its packed 5 days, usually the lecturer will teach in the morning till lunch, then ask you to attempt workshop in the afternoon, depending on different lecturers. Some will run till 3pm, some will run till 1pm. There's no electives, just 5 modules plus a AD project at the end, trust me you don't have enough time in the first place to take more than that.
We all finish within 6 months, and I believe the dropout rate isn't high. Come to class, do your workshops, make sure you understand the concepts and know how to do the group project or at least part of it and you'll be fine.
Depending on cohort, there's usually 40% of us, but the Feb intake usually have more mature students. Easier to work with professionally, but have to work harder at it.

To answer all other questions: Rarely anybody stay in hostel, I know of 2 foreign students staying, but no locals. Printing services is provided- got to pay, but I print at home because it's cheaper.

Oh, my lecturer was talking about the next batch and the change in syllabus- no more asp.net webforms, they are teaching asp.net MVC instead which is more in trend. so get a udemy course on MVC and work on that in your spare time.
Old 23-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #89

Hi, I donít think there will be a quota. My friend told me that the interviewer said most people will receive interview, and interview is just a chit chat to make sure you want to join this program. Then they will do the selection according to our test result.
Hey! You took the test on 26/10 also right! May I know when you went for the interview and whether you have received any response from them? Thanks!!
grizzlrginz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #90

I attended the interview few days ago, so far no response. The interviewer said it would be late Nov or early Dec. How’s your interview? Did the interviewer say anything?

Hey! You took the test on 26/10 also right! May I know when you went for the interview and whether you have received any response from them? Thanks!!
Iris@sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.