HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS - Master of Science (Management of Technology)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snoozex

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

NUS - Master of Science (Management of Technology)

I am currently considering the MSc MoT offered by NUS. Practising engineer for 8 years and would like to consider a Masters degree that is in between an MBA and a technical Masters. Would like to consider a masters that will be able to equip me certain skills beyond engineering first principles and yet I don't wish to "abandon" engineering completely.

Seems like the MSc MoT is a perfect fit. Self Sponsoring therefore an MBA will be too expensive for me to afford.

Any advise from current or graduated students from this Masters programme? Starting a new thread as the last thread that is related to this Master's programme was close to 8 years ago.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by lwhkenneth; 21-08-2020 at 10:17 PM..
lwhkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #2

I am currently considering the MSc MoT offered by NUS. Practising engineer for 8 years and would like to consider a Masters degree that is in between an MBA and a technical Masters. Would like to consider a masters that will be able to equip me certain skills beyond engineering first principles and yet I don't wish to "abandon" engineering completely.

Seems like the MSc MoT is a perfect fit. Self Sponsoring therefore an MBA will be too expensive for me to afford.

Any advise from current or graduated students from this Masters programme? Starting a new thread as the last thread that is related to this Master's programme was close to 8 years ago.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hihi,

Surprised that no one replies to you since MOT program has a pretty big cohort. I do not know what specific question you are interested in. I will try to answer you as much as I know. I noted that you are new in this forum so you probably may not be able to PM me.

In general, many of the classes for this program are cross-listed so you will have a mixture of students e.g. full time MSc, part time MSc, other masters students as well as undergrads (apparently, some of the MT5XXX modules are their electives that they have to do). So size for some classes can be quite big.

The load of the modules would depend on the lecturer and nature of the subject. Some modules do not have exams. Some are practical oriented which can be quite fun e.g. strategic new product development. I must say I have enjoyed the courses that I have taken. Reading load is not a lot (if compared to some other masters).

If you are not rushing to get your masters, I recommend you to try out the graduate certificate in Technological Innovation Management first. Please kindly note that the administrator may push you to do all 12 AUs (3 full modules) at one go. I think that is a bit too much especially if you are away from studies for a long while. You will also suffer especially the last few weeks when you have to submit your group projects, do presentations, individual essay and so on. So if you have a sudden surge at work, good luck to you! For part time student, 8 AUs (or 2 full modules) is good and manageable.

All the credits are transferable to MSc program (providing you achieve a B- average which I think almost impossible not to achieve). Transfer rules apply (e.g. MT5006A and MT5006B must be taken to get credit transfer for MT5006).

Hope this helps....
lwhkenneth likes this.
Old 31-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

Hihi,

Surprised that no one replies to you since MOT program has a pretty big cohort. I do not know what specific question you are interested in. I will try to answer you as much as I know. I noted that you are new in this forum so you probably may not be able to PM me.

In general, many of the classes for this program are cross-listed so you will have a mixture of students e.g. full time MSc, part time MSc, other masters students as well as undergrads (apparently, some of the MT5XXX modules are their electives that they have to do). So size for some classes can be quite big.

The load of the modules would depend on the lecturer and nature of the subject. Some modules do not have exams. Some are practical oriented which can be quite fun e.g. strategic new product development. I must say I have enjoyed the courses that I have taken. Reading load is not a lot (if compared to some other masters).

If you are not rushing to get your masters, I recommend you to try out the graduate certificate in Technological Innovation Management first. Please kindly note that the administrator may push you to do all 12 AUs (3 full modules) at one go. I think that is a bit too much especially if you are away from studies for a long while. You will also suffer especially the last few weeks when you have to submit your group projects, do presentations, individual essay and so on. So if you have a sudden surge at work, good luck to you! For part time student, 8 AUs (or 2 full modules) is good and manageable.

All the credits are transferable to MSc program (providing you achieve a B- average which I think almost impossible not to achieve). Transfer rules apply (e.g. MT5006A and MT5006B must be taken to get credit transfer for MT5006).

Hope this helps....
Hi snoozex,

A very very big thank you for replying. I really appreciate it a lot!

Mind if I ask a few questions?

- Are you an MOT alumnus/alumna?
- Do you find it useful and applicable to your work?
- Able to share what motivated you to consider the MOT programme?
- Are the examinable modules difficult? Will there be past year paper references? After 6 years of not going to the exam hall, deep down, I prefer coursework/assignments but I understand that it is unavoidable. Willing to take up the challenge but just want to get myself mentally prepared.
- Yes. I still do have a bit of time and I am not exactly rushing to get my masters. Thanks for your recommendation. I will look into the Certificate in Technology Innovation Management.
- I agree. I better not rush as it will be too much/sudden for me to manage. I will spread the load for a start. It is also good for me to "kickstart my engine"

Once again, thank you very much for your reply.
lwhkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #4

Hi Kenneth,

I have sent you a pm.

Hope it helps.
Old 31-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

Hihi,

Hope this helps....
Hello snoozex, very Interested with NUS MOT.
Graduate from CS NTU and worked for 3yrs.
Saw this course and super interested because it seemed to be a path for a mgmt role in Tech? Correct me if im wrong!
May I know how difficult isit to gain admission? Didnt have an impressive transcript, got a D for my last sem mod and dropped to 3.95/5 GPA...
You mentioned that its a big cohort, whats the background of the people in the master course? Those qns you answered in PM, can you also copy and paste it to me? Really keen to find out more, and most imptly hope to gain admission.
Ychloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 11:49 PM   #6

Hi snoozex, I am very interested in NUS MOT programme (part time) too. I graduated from my Bachelor's 1.5 years ago and I am currently in the tech sector. I am looking to advance my studies to build on my technical knowledge as I plan to stay in the tech sector in the long run. Since i did not graduate from a technical background, i thought this programme will be perfect since it combines technical + business knowledge.

I have some questions on the programme:
- Is the admission criteria stringent? I do not have stellar GPA from my bachelor's degree.
- Did this degree help you in your career advancement? If yes, what aspect (e.g. management/technical roles)?
- Would you recommend this degree to a relatively fresh grad like myself?

Appreciate your advice, thank you!

Last edited by rockyroadbites; 13-01-2021 at 11:51 PM..
rockyroadbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #7

Hello snoozex, very Interested with NUS MOT.
Graduate from CS NTU and worked for 3yrs.
Saw this course and super interested because it seemed to be a path for a mgmt role in Tech? Correct me if im wrong!
May I know how difficult isit to gain admission? Didnt have an impressive transcript, got a D for my last sem mod and dropped to 3.95/5 GPA...
You mentioned that its a big cohort, whats the background of the people in the master course? Those qns you answered in PM, can you also copy and paste it to me? Really keen to find out more, and most imptly hope to gain admission.

Hi,

I guess it depends on what do you mean by management? If you are promoted to a manager of R&D dept, then yes, this course is well suited. Of course, if you join e.g. a tech start-up, what you learn in this program will also be useful.

Admission is dependent on cohorts. And in general, I would think MOT program is not difficult to gain entry. Your GPA is likely to qualify. Perhaps get someone who can write favourable reference letter for you to increase your chance.

Background is diverse as but usually they come from different branches of engineering as well as from IT. So yours would qualify too.

I would encourage you to apply asap due to "new" changes to masters funding by MOE.
Old 16-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #8

Hi snoozex, I am very interested in NUS MOT programme (part time) too. I graduated from my Bachelor's 1.5 years ago and I am currently in the tech sector. I am looking to advance my studies to build on my technical knowledge as I plan to stay in the tech sector in the long run. Since i did not graduate from a technical background, i thought this programme will be perfect since it combines technical + business knowledge.

I have some questions on the programme:
- Is the admission criteria stringent? I do not have stellar GPA from my bachelor's degree.
- Did this degree help you in your career advancement? If yes, what aspect (e.g. management/technical roles)?
- Would you recommend this degree to a relatively fresh grad like myself?

Appreciate your advice, thank you!

Hi,

Care to share a bit more about yourself? Either your current role in tech firm or your previous degree. As shared in my reply to Ychloe above, admission is always dependent on cohorts. Compared to e.g. MSc SCM, this masters is comparatively easy to get in.

Not working in related line.

I think it would be easier for me to share more if I understand more about you. I noted that yours is a new account so you cannot PM me. If you want to chat more, just leave a message and may I can PM you with my telegram id to chat more.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.