www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Post-Degree Programs & Courses (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/)
-   -   Private degree to Local masters/local bachelors (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/private-degree-local-masters-local-bachelors-5886458.html)

menageatrois 18-08-2018 09:00 PM

Private degree to Local masters/local bachelors

Hi, may I know what is the minimum gpa for private degree to local masters? Those non-research intensive ones maybe, those coursework ones? Like Masters in communication in NUS? Don't think they will accept us for research intensive ones. What about overseas ones? What if you graduate from a private institution and you are thinking of taking Nursing at NUS/real estate/hospitality etc/occupational therapy or those less popular courses? I think its unlikely that we will stand a chance for duke nus...

FreDeRicK 19-08-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menageatrois (Post 116064925)
Hi, may I know what is the minimum gpa for private degree to local masters? Those non-research intensive ones maybe, those coursework ones? Like Masters in communication in NUS? Don't think they will accept us for research intensive ones. What about overseas ones? What if you graduate from a private institution and you are thinking of taking Nursing at NUS/real estate/hospitality etc/occupational therapy or those less popular courses? I think its unlikely that we will stand a chance for duke nus...

From what I understand, applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. There is no set "cut-off" GPA point.

If you have the passion, have a few years of relevant work experience and interested in pursuing further studies, having a private degree should not stop you from applying. If you don't take the first step to apply, there is a 100% sure chance of not getting into the programme so what's there to lose?

Have some confidence and don't harp on the fact that you don't hold a bachelors' from a local uni. Those negative thoughts may be stopping you from achieving what you want.

sellbuyboy 28-08-2018 02:18 PM

i heard local master, the pte degree can go in one. not sure how true.

zidmosby 28-08-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreDeRicK (Post 116083106)
From what I understand, applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. There is no set "cut-off" GPA point.

If you have the passion, have a few years of relevant work experience and interested in pursuing further studies, having a private degree should not stop you from applying. If you don't take the first step to apply, there is a 100% sure chance of not getting into the programme so what's there to lose?

Have some confidence and don't harp on the fact that you don't hold a bachelors' from a local uni. Those negative thoughts may be stopping you from achieving what you want.

Yup; this is correct. Masters application requirements is more holistic in a sense as they consider other things apart from grades.

zidmosby 28-08-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sellbuyboy (Post 116223480)
i heard local master, the pte degree can go in one. not sure how true.

Yup, this is true. I am one of them :)

sellbuyboy 31-08-2018 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidmosby (Post 116223923)
Yup, this is true. I am one of them :)

how your pte degree grade?

Johnpierpontmorgan 02-09-2018 01:16 AM

Duke nus...

Heard a lot of foreign student from unknown schools

menageatrois 08-09-2018 04:45 PM

really ah

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan (Post 116296832)
Duke nus...

Heard a lot of foreign student from unknown schools

don't siao siao leh….if really so lucky I want to apply liao….sounds too good to be true leh. I can become your doc-tar liao!

Kyoji83 10-09-2018 12:10 PM

As long as you have good result for MCAT and 1st degree will do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by menageatrois (Post 116402961)
don't siao siao leh….if really so lucky I want to apply liao….sounds too good to be true leh. I can become your doc-tar liao!

xthene 13-09-2018 03:19 PM

normally u need at least 2 yrs of industrial experience to do yr relevant master -for local u like ntu and nus

rainbowrabbit 02-10-2018 03:51 PM

hey i am currently studying masters (coursework based) at ntu. had a private degree from aussie with 4 years plus exp. i think they look at the overall (years of exp, field of work, previous field of study, personal essay on why you wanna join the program etc.) I think they also gauge how much you can contribute to class discussion too.