HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SUSS vs UOL?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #1

SUSS vs UOL?

Hi guys,

I am in the midst of considering taking post graduate course/degree. I am in the marketing research industry for 20 yrs plus. Nowadays, the industry requires data science, big data and the like- which is partly related but more programming and/or stat in nature. But still very relevant. Hence I am considering upgrading to this area.

On the other hand, I have passion for positive psychology. Partially related to my current job (that is, understanding consumer behavior); At the same time I pursued this online writing articles in blogs and creating my own blog on the topic of personal development/positive psychology.

So I found 2 options to answer my passion and interest below with my thoughts included below:

Masters in Data Science by UOL via SIM GE
- The course is definitely a plus and will give me edge in new job opportunities
- I can use big data and data science to do research in the area of positive psychology
- With teaching as another career interest and fall-back- this can come handy
- As a foreign uni, I learned that feedback on this route is not good but this is primarily coming from undergrads and I feel the POV is pretty much different; on the contrary, my personal experience with foreign uni grads as work colleagues is that they are very professional, efficient, practical and street smart. Nothing I can complain about.

Masters in Applied Research by SUSS
- The course is definitely a plus as a paper qualification with some high-level sharpening of my research skills; though I feel large part of this is already what I am doing and have been doing in so many years
- Offers concentration in positive psychology - which is perfect for my passion and interest on psych
- With teaching as another career interest and fall-back- this can come handy
- As a local uni, I feel this gives me a better edge in local opportunities in teaching, civil or public service as well as overseas

The above two choices is also borne out of my need for a more practical curriculum appropriate for a working professional like me. Something I can do and work on part-time. Honestly, it is also because my undergrad background does not seem promising enough for the NUS, NTU type of unis.

As such, I am wondering if anyone can offer any feedback as a Grad student of these institutions? Current student or graduated? Any thoughts from students of any foreign uni Post Grad degrees? or any local uni Post Grad degrees?
robleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.