www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Post-Degree Programs & Courses (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/)
-   -   Thoughts on Master of Science in Applied Finance (SMU) (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/post-degree-programs-courses-215/thoughts-master-science-applied-finance-smu-6001379.html)

Burnburnburn 28-02-2019 02:05 PM

Thoughts on Master of Science in Applied Finance (SMU)

Hi guys,

Am thinking of applying for Masters applied finance from SMU. Just want to check if it's worth it.
Would it be useful for getting a job/enjoying career progression in Private equity and asset management firms? Or execution traders jobs in banks?
Would appreciate if anyone has some info regarding the prospects for grads of this program. Can't seem to find much info in their brochure and online.

snoozex 01-03-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnburnburn (Post 119434670)
Hi guys,

Am thinking of applying for Masters applied finance from SMU. Just want to check if it's worth it.
Would it be useful for getting a job/enjoying career progression in Private equity and asset management firms? Or execution traders jobs in banks?
Would appreciate if anyone has some info regarding the prospects for grads of this program. Can't seem to find much info in their brochure and online.

Hi,

Pretty common for applied finance masters to modeled after the CFA so you can consider this as gaining two qualifications at one go (go for your MAF while attempting the CFA exams)... Often people enrolled into a program thinking that they can enter a particular industry but in reality, it may be more difficult. I have seen people completing e.g. NTU MBA in finance with hope of gaining entry to the banks... but they are disappointed eventually and remain in their original fields.... same for many ACCA holders with CFA, they took CFA in hope to entering finance sector... well, most remain as accountants though...

As mentioned in your thread, those areas you are keen in are pretty niche... connections or past experience might be more important then the MAF... However, SMU might have strong career support that help you to secure jobs or at least hold some career fairs for its graduates...

JudeBox 01-03-2019 12:06 AM

I do not think the MSc AF is much useful if you have a finance background(curriculum is closely similar to CFA). The MSc QF is relatively better (source: had an offer for QF but I didn't go for it)

are you currently in any of the fields that you mentioned? if you already in PE/AM, I would think it's better for you to gain experience and connections first, then using that to get into a good Masters in Finance/MBA program (top 10/20) for upwards career progression. However, if you aren't in the fields, the chances of you getting into those fields with the MSc from SMU is pretty slim, albeit higher than without one. You might get internships in the fields, but are you ready to start from scratch? Linkedin is a good source of information, you can reach out to alumni of the programs for their views.

PS: If you did well in your undergraduate and cost is not an issue, do look at overseas programmes.

silentears 01-03-2019 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudeBox (Post 119444809)
I do not think the MSc AF is much useful if you have a finance background(curriculum is closely similar to CFA). The MSc QF is relatively better (source: had an offer for QF but I didn't go for it)

are you currently in any of the fields that you mentioned? if you already in PE/AM, I would think it's better for you to gain experience and connections first, then using that to get into a good Masters in Finance/MBA program (top 10/20) for upwards career progression. However, if you aren't in the fields, the chances of you getting into those fields with the MSc from SMU is pretty slim, albeit higher than without one. You might get internships in the fields, but are you ready to start from scratch? Linkedin is a good source of information, you can reach out to alumni of the programs for their views.

PS: If you did well in your undergraduate and cost is not an issue, do look at overseas programmes.

Good advice, but what about a recent graduate (2017- 2018 batch) looking to break into this field with a non-finance undergraduate degree?

Would a masters in finance help break into say entry level banking?

I have a business degree from one of the local unis, but not in the finance stream, ended graduating in the marketing stream.

Internships experience: Managed to find only 1 related internship in equity research in prop firm, but no conversion.

6 mth + into current 1st job: some random admin job that is not even related to my degree. But I managed to farm up the school fees needed.
Was unemployed for 6~months as I tried to applied for entry level finance job, also can't get in.

Currently looking at NUS Msc Finance though, cause no need gmat, total cost about 45k (exclude gst).

Any seniors can share if the masters can be used to rebrand myself?
Late 20s liao, still haven't get my life sorted out:(

JudeBox 01-03-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentears (Post 119445830)
Good advice, but what about a recent graduate (2017- 2018 batch) looking to break into this field with a non-finance undergraduate degree?

Would a masters in finance help break into say entry level banking?

I have a business degree from one of the local unis, but not in the finance stream, ended graduating in the marketing stream.

Internships experience: Managed to find only 1 related internship in equity research in prop firm, but no conversion.

6 mth + into current 1st job: some random admin job that is not even related to my degree. But I managed to farm up the school fees needed.
Was unemployed for 6~months as I tried to applied for entry level finance job, also can't get in.

Currently looking at NUS Msc Finance though, cause no need gmat, total cost about 45k (exclude gst).

Any seniors can share if the masters can be used to rebrand myself?
Late 20s liao, still haven't get my life sorted out:(

Not trying to be funny here, but a MFIN/MBA from the ivies will definitely guarantee (almost) you a job in the finance industry lol. Other than that (including oxbridge), it's basically a leap of faith.

If you can give up your current job, I would say the "best" way for you to enter is to get into a program and get an internship. Basically, intern and do the masters concurrently. If you are interested in asset/wealth management, NTU has an interesting program for that (you get to go NYU and Imperial for a term I think)
http://wmi.ntu.edu.sg/Programmes/MAWM/Pages/ProgrammeHighlights.aspx

If you want a more quantitative role, NTU's MFE (get to go to Carneige Mellon for a term) is good but much tougher to get in than SMU's MQF.

As for IB/PE, I honestly don't think any of MFIN in the locals will land you an internship (my own view) because you are basically competing with undergraduates with more than 1 relevant internship under their belt. Why would the firm hire you instead of them?

PS: I'm also in my late twenties. I hit the pause button six months ago and took a huggggge leap (from singapore all the wayyyyy to London) of faith to do my masters. (I already had a job in the industry and I didn't mind doing that role. So, it's definitely OK to not be sorted out even at late twenties (: )