Is it worth paying so much for MBA?

Learnthread.com

Reaction score
I know some MBA courses are very expensive. Do you think it is worthwhile? How will it help in your career?

kingfisher1

Reaction score
It depends on the motivation to read the MBA. There are different tuition fee ranged from below $50k to almost $200k from a wide range of Universities local and overseas.

Some working professionals go for the MBA for the following reasons:
(i) aspire to go into management position
(ii) pay increase
(iii) company sponsorship
(iv) gain new knowledge and progression to a higher degree
(v) networking opportunities with current student and via alumni activities
(vi) opportunity open to non-degree holders to complete a MBA if they have several years of work experience

angy

Reaction score
If you look at MBA as an avenue to increase your salary, your job satisfaction, that you are barking at the wrong tree.

You got to look yourself in the mirror and asked
a. are you really good in your job? If you are mediocre, a MBA degree would be another piece of paper that you can wipe your bum
b. what do you really want to get out of it? If is the career, then go back to (a)
c. if you are really really good in your job, but your boss do not even recognise you potential, maybe it is cheaper to change to another job. that is cheaper than doing a MBA.
d. how much time are you will to give up to study a MBA? Is your girl friend or wife going to be around when you finish? Doing MBA is hardwork, a lot of sacrifices for around 1 to 1.5 years.
e. Last, this is most important. If you are really in and the classmates are all old birds and are able to talk real life experience, what and how can you contribute to the discussion? If you cannot, then do not bother.

Last, if you are going to give up 1 to 1.5 years of your life, might as well save up and go for the best. Why try some 2nd tier MBA programme? Go for INSEAD.

https://www.insead.edu/master-programmes/mba
Look at their class profile.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
INSEAD accepting applications now without GMAT and EA. They sent me an email to say coz some assessment centres down due to Covid19 and also offer will be good for two years if you need to defer studies.

Cryophoenix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
INSEAD accepting applications now without GMAT and EA. They sent me an email to say coz some assessment centres down due to Covid19 and also offer will be good for two years if you need to defer studies.

Can admit but self sponsor will be harsh on the wallet. How to convince company to sponsor? :o

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can admit but self sponsor will be harsh on the wallet. How to convince company to sponsor? :o

Part of my development. Had conversation with my Boss and Management. They told me they will support. For INSEAD, the school has some scholarships and with coy sponsor i think not so jiaklat.

But just saying, i am lookin at NTU, INSEAD and maybe 1-2 more.

angy

Reaction score
Part of my development. Had conversation with my Boss and Management. They told me they will support. For INSEAD, the school has some scholarships and with coy sponsor i think not so jiaklat.

But just saying, i am lookin at NTU, INSEAD and maybe 1-2 more.

go do it this year when the company still have money, after Covid 19, if there are budget cuts, no more support.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
go do it this year when the company still have money, after Covid 19, if there are budget cuts, no more support.

INSEAD select the best of the best as they Say. I will try.

ESSEC looks interesting to me too.

ireport

Reaction score
INSEAD select the best of the best as they Say. I will try.

ESSEC looks interesting to me too.

Insead will be good for consulting . On it own it is good too.
For Essec, if you are working for European company. it should be fine.

If your first degree already from overseas, you could try NUS or NTU.
Cheaper and home base. Their network and ranking are good too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.