HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is it worth paying so much for MBA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #1

Thumbs up Is it worth paying so much for MBA?

I know some MBA courses are very expensive. Do you think it is worthwhile? How will it help in your career?
Learnthread.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #2

It depends on the motivation to read the MBA. There are different tuition fee ranged from below $50k to almost $200k from a wide range of Universities local and overseas.

Some working professionals go for the MBA for the following reasons:
(i) aspire to go into management position
(ii) pay increase
(iii) company sponsorship
(iv) gain new knowledge and progression to a higher degree
(v) networking opportunities with current student and via alumni activities
(vi) opportunity open to non-degree holders to complete a MBA if they have several years of work experience
kingfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #3

If you look at MBA as an avenue to increase your salary, your job satisfaction, that you are barking at the wrong tree.

You got to look yourself in the mirror and asked
a. are you really good in your job? If you are mediocre, a MBA degree would be another piece of paper that you can wipe your bum
b. what do you really want to get out of it? If is the career, then go back to (a)
c. if you are really really good in your job, but your boss do not even recognise you potential, maybe it is cheaper to change to another job. that is cheaper than doing a MBA.
d. how much time are you will to give up to study a MBA? Is your girl friend or wife going to be around when you finish? Doing MBA is hardwork, a lot of sacrifices for around 1 to 1.5 years.
e. Last, this is most important. If you are really in and the classmates are all old birds and are able to talk real life experience, what and how can you contribute to the discussion? If you cannot, then do not bother.

Last, if you are going to give up 1 to 1.5 years of your life, might as well save up and go for the best. Why try some 2nd tier MBA programme? Go for INSEAD.

https://www.insead.edu/master-programmes/mba
Look at their class profile.
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

INSEAD, M7 or just Imperial MBA if you're ok with online programme.
Cryophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Honorary Member

INSEAD accepting applications now without GMAT and EA. They sent me an email to say coz some assessment centres down due to Covid19 and also offer will be good for two years if you need to defer studies.
Beta_Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

INSEAD accepting applications now without GMAT and EA. They sent me an email to say coz some assessment centres down due to Covid19 and also offer will be good for two years if you need to defer studies.
Can admit but self sponsor will be harsh on the wallet. How to convince company to sponsor?
Cryophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
Honorary Member

Can admit but self sponsor will be harsh on the wallet. How to convince company to sponsor?
Part of my development. Had conversation with my Boss and Management. They told me they will support. For INSEAD, the school has some scholarships and with coy sponsor i think not so jiaklat.

But just saying, i am lookin at NTU, INSEAD and maybe 1-2 more.
Old 30-03-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

I know some MBA courses are very expensive. Do you think it is worthwhile? How will it help in your career?
Of cos..u probably wifi become GM or Act CEO or MD..huat ar..no trolling..hard truth..
Aaron_soh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #9

Part of my development. Had conversation with my Boss and Management. They told me they will support. For INSEAD, the school has some scholarships and with coy sponsor i think not so jiaklat.

But just saying, i am lookin at NTU, INSEAD and maybe 1-2 more.
go do it this year when the company still have money, after Covid 19, if there are budget cuts, no more support.
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
Honorary Member

go do it this year when the company still have money, after Covid 19, if there are budget cuts, no more support.
INSEAD select the best of the best as they Say. I will try.

ESSEC looks interesting to me too.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.