HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Career path for IT pros

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #46

Software - BA in programming, coding, and software testing.
Pardon my ignorance, what does BA stand for?
alastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #47
Arch-Supremacy Member

Pardon my ignorance, what does BA stand for?
Business Analyst.
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #48

just curious.. is BA a role with good prospects?
or dying due to agile
DMC_Coolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #49
Arch-Supremacy Member

just curious.. is BA a role with good prospects?
or dying due to agile
IMO junior BA, waste time. Unless you are a veteran in that business domain, which makes your deep domain knowledge a real asset which can truly help in the technological evolution, otherwise, I donít see how a green BA has more to offer than a software engineer learning about the business requirements on the fly.

Of course the size of your organisation matters, but if you set out to be a BA right from the start, how would you differentiate from a vendor engineer whom just enter the industry?

So far BA i saw are no different from just calling themselves end-users. I simply donít find how they add value apart from doing liasons in the project meetings.
Old 16-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #50
Master Member

Any advice for a 40+ yrs retrenched IT executive with only BSC in IT, and is cust helpdsk svc & desktop sppt/basic svr maint exp for the past 20+ yrs? The retrenchment jolted me awake and I'm really desperate now. I spent many nights soul searching and decided I should start fresh and learn coding. My ultimate aim is to become a software engineer and plan to learn front/backend/database programming. It's gonna be hard but I think this is the only way to save myself. Thoughts?
enimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #51
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any advice for a 40+ yrs retrenched IT executive with only BSC in IT, and is cust helpdsk svc & desktop sppt/basic svr maint exp for the past 20+ yrs? The retrenchment jolted me awake and I'm really desperate now. I spent many nights soul searching and decided I should start fresh and learn coding. My ultimate aim is to become a software engineer and plan to learn front/backend/database programming. It's gonna be hard but I think this is the only way to save myself. Thoughts?
Well just trying to give you some encouragement. I think you pretty much nailed it, you are at a low point right now having you have not been keeping up to date with the industry requirements and trend.

That being said, 40+ while isnít the most exciting year to kickstart a new career roadmap, would be better than you just stay put and not do anything about it. You must be prepared to lower your expectation, since it will be a hard time for you to compete against the younger and more hungry fresh grads.

I will recommend that while you are on a job hunt for an entry level SME software development job, that is if you wanted such a job, or if you are going to find a similar job to your previous job scope, do take up a private course on career conversion. AI and Big Data will not be a good fit despite they are hot topic. I will recommend Cloud computing, which might be a better reach for you, and in addition also software engineering skill set. It might be a hard 5 years battle at least but you wouldnít be reaching retirement yet, so it will still helps along the way. All the best to you.
Old 17-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #52
Master Member

Thanks Davidktw, my first priority is to find a job (any IT job related to my past skills) and take courses at night. Your suggestions are very helpful
enimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #53
Arch-Supremacy Member

i started converting from maritime industry to IT back in 2018. Have bee picking up front end and backend capability before taking up devops role in 2019.
jgyy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #54
pyu
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some observations about our industry in Singapore, its ... well, I will be frank and say its mostly tough. You read stories about tech boom in Europe and United States and think its great to join in, but Singapore is not Europe/United States. Remember, both the EU and US control their immigration pretty tightly but they can afford to do so since they already have a large base of tech people to choose from and the various countries of the former have pretty decent HR practices which they usually export overseas.

Singapore? Anything above SGD3600 is basically an EP, mitigated by that Fair Consideration Framework. You might think you are very valuable but I learnt the hard way several times is that when someone else is paying you, what matters is the stuff you bring to the table. Agism is an issue as well.

First some historical background. The government first "open the floodgates" era (before 2005 elections) brought in a glut of cheap IT personnel from a range of countries, including well, India. What happened is a great many of well paid and well treated IT staff was retrenched off from many companies. There was also "systematic discrimination" (not just in IT) that took the government a long time to even admit openly >> Fair Consideration Framework was implemented in 2013. So locals were really turned off on the tech side of things for a time.

If you are young and really like the work, by all means continue since I assume you will keep yourself updated. More importantly is that be sociable, show human / leadership qualities, take up responsibilities and do not turn down opportunities into more senior stuff like being a team or tech lead or things that are more people facing like consulting (which is really that). That will add value to your technical / business domain portfolio.

Take charge of your career.

Last edited by pyu; 24-07-2019 at 02:01 PM..
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 03:52 AM   #55

Study cyber security can go where work ah actually? Is there a FAANG equivalent for cyber security people?
johndoee91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.