HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Language Enquiries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #1

Go Language Enquiries

Hi,
Anyone here know the prospect of Go Language in Singapore? It's a new programming language. I am currently considering the SkillsFuture SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways Program from the School of Go. Is anyone currently attending this course? Is the language going to be popular in the near future?

Any advice are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by luohongxian; 24-08-2020 at 07:58 PM..
luohongxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,
Anyone here know the prospect of Go Language in Singapore? It's a new programming language. I am currently considering the SkillsFuture SGUnited Mid-Career Pathways Program from the School of Go. Is anyone currently attending this course? Is the language going to be popular in the near future?

Any advice are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Around me I donít see much use for it. Only observed a couple of products using it which are not developed in Singapore either. Given the current PL landscape in SG, I will say the top popular ones are (not in order),
Java, PHP, C#, Python, Javascript, Typescript, Swift, C/C++

While CS has a wide spectrum of works, most are still very much web related. I didnít observe Golang getting strong traction in the industry. It is there, but not strong enough to be a leading language yet. Even if we consider webassembly, a leading assembly level for web, I often see Rust mentioned more over Golang used to compiled into webassembly.

I believe you can learn for it could be still useful , but personally I would say donít bet too much on it to go big time.
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Go is gaining traction in the devops scene.

It's also gaining popularity as a backend language. I know that shopee for one is moving away from python to go.

But generally if you have experience in another programming language learning go is not hard. Go is fairly simple to pick up.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #4

Go is gaining traction in the devops scene.

It's also gaining popularity as a backend language. I know that shopee for one is moving away from python to go.

But generally if you have experience in another programming language learning go is not hard. Go is fairly simple to pick up.
Thank for sharing, david and FatalityV.
luohongxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.