which language is highly sought

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ME NOT LOOKING TO HIRE. ME LOOKING FOR SOFTWARE PROGRAMMER TO SHARE/DISCUSS SOME INTERESTING INFO ABOUT PROGRAMMING.

So what would you like to discuss about? Just feel free to post your questions here for discussion

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone still using Perl for anything?

what is it used for nowadays?

Python seems more popular and can do everything that Perl can.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone still using Perl for anything?

what is it used for nowadays?

Python seems more popular and can do everything that Perl can.

Me is one of them. Perl is one of the most flexible language I have ever come across. I think the concensus will be its flexible syntax and powerful regex, it is also readily available for UNIX system. I seriously have not come across one without Perl Installed unless it is going for minimalist architecture, because quite a lot of system utilities and tools depended on it.

The most recent use for me substantial as an application is using it pairing with Java. Java plays the cluster design, invoking the perl script which perform Facebook and Instagram feeding.

I also uses it extensively for scripting jobs that work in companion manner with the whole system. Housekeeping scripts, logs manipulation, database migration, input data manipulation, or if you are using Apache Web server use it with modperl.

I think most languages can do what another can do, the question is with your competency and familiarity. If you started with Python and not Perl, it will be better for you. But I think to date, Perl still have the best regex engine. :)

Last edited:

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
For integration and use of commercial and open source tools, libraries and components, I wonder if Perl or Python is easier or more superior. I wonder if Perl's CPAN has something that Python doesn't and thus a better choice.

If my understanding is correct, most commercial software do not have SDK for Perl or Python. Open source libraries tend to be in Java.

Of course syntax wise, Perl is good for writing less lines and achieving more results, since Python is strict with its formatting and indentation. If one needs a short script to do quick hack, it would be easier to do with Perl.

Just my observation.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For integration and use of commercial and open source tools, libraries and components, I wonder if Perl or Python is easier or more superior. I wonder if Perl's CPAN has something that Python doesn't and thus a better choice.

If my understanding is correct, most commercial software do not have SDK for Perl or Python. Open source libraries tend to be in Java.

Of course syntax wise, Perl is good for writing less lines and achieving more results, since Python is strict with its formatting and indentation. If one needs a short script to do quick hack, it would be easier to do with Perl.

Just my observation.

I must say Perl has been around for nearly as long as Python, knowing that Perl was just 4 years ahead of Python, but I must say having my first encounter with programming back in year 2000, Perl is very popular and Python didn't even register in my radar. Apparently as I read http://www.fastcompany.com/3026446/the-fall-of-perl-the-webs-most-promising-language, it's agreeable if you started out with Perl and your learn its ways, you work better with it and it still does it job well in the way you want it to, then carry on. If you knows Python or you started out with Python and you find it makes your life easier, go with it.

I don't think Opensource libraries are tend to be for Java, there are open sources for numerous other languages and having CPAN has been there for a long time, everything there are open source. Java and .NET excel in a different industry setting as oppose to Perl and Python, so I don't think you really want to compare them side by side. The kind of developers and projects that they serve can be somewhat different in nature.

The superiority of programming languages is always a running target. Soon another language will take over Java and then you will find more recent topics and libraries built with those programming languages as long as they can reach out to more developers and more developers are developing in those languages.

What's really important is learning how to interoperate between multiple languages and platforms. There are cross platform interfaces like SOAP/XML/JSON/HTTP/RMI and other approaches to make platforms of different make and model working together. You don't have to force fit to whichever is superior.

mojosing

Reaction score
What programming langauge used by Google to design their search engine ? Apparently google search engine is much better than yahoo.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
What programming langauge used by Google to design their search engine ? Apparently google search engine is much better than yahoo.

Python, C, C++

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search

Most of Google is implemented in C or C++ for efficiency and can run in either Solaris or Linux.

In order to scale to hundreds of millions of web pages, Google has a fast distributed crawling system. A single URLserver serves lists of URLs to a number of crawlers (we typically ran about 3). Both the URLserver and the crawlers are implemented in Python.

Source: http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

mojosing

Reaction score
Thanks very much. Btw, anyone know where to find good programmers in internet ? Thanks.

mojosing

Reaction score
Does anyone know how what langauge used by GOOGLE TRANSLATOR ?

WHY ROBOCOM IS SMARTER THAN GOOGLE TRANSLATOR ?

Google translate is practically begging for users to help it with the translator. It's the most primitive form of Robocom's way of getting the users to contribute, transparently and with high productivity for them. It's a good start, however small it is.

In the past few years, I have seen Google translate turning from a pitiful translator to a useful one. It finally Google can get to the point that it's the best and only way an automatic translator can be constructed, Google and perhaps other smart companies(definitely Microsoft is not) would be able to understand the concept behind Robocom design.

This is the concept of KNOWLEDGE FARMING being put into practice! When that happens, we need power, but it should be centralized, and the smart iphone should be reduced to a pocket keyboard

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.