HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

WEB HOSTING COMPANY TO RECOMMEND!

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #361

In addition, what are the specs of the hosting in play?
I wonder what are the benchmarks suppose to indicate?
I am doing a speed test comparison between different website hosting provider. Between hosting provider, there is a difference in the website loading speed for the same website due to the web server performance and configuration.

I am not using server like AWS and Linode as the most of the business out there is still using web hosting instead of managing their own servers. Is there any other reputatable website hosting provider in Singapore to recommend?

My research so far for loading speed for same website on different website provider.

SPEED TEST SITE ORYON VODIEN EXABYTES
gtmetrix.com 4.0s 4.2s 4.6s
pingdom.com 3.0s 6.8s 4.7s
webpagetest.org 6.6s 6.8s 7.2s
Google
Pagespeed 3.2s 3.7s 5.3s
singaporehostingspeedtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #362
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am doing a speed test comparison between different website hosting provider. Between hosting provider, there is a difference in the website loading speed for the same website due to the web server performance and configuration.

I am not using server like AWS and Linode as the most of the business out there is still using web hosting instead of managing their own servers. Is there any other reputatable website hosting provider in Singapore to recommend?

My research so far for loading speed for same website on different website provider.

SPEED TEST SITE ORYON VODIEN EXABYTES
gtmetrix.com 4.0s 4.2s 4.6s
pingdom.com 3.0s 6.8s 4.7s
webpagetest.org 6.6s 6.8s 7.2s
Google
Pagespeed 3.2s 3.7s 5.3s
Sure, indeed due to web hosting performance, configuration, and over-provisioning situations that there will be performance differences. However all these are too opaque, hence it has been a long time since I even use a webhosting plan myself or have interest in this space. Thus I won't be able to provide any valuable information on this.

My experiences are mostly AWS, and some of DigitalOcean these days.

I'm not sure what your intentions are for these benchmarks, that you are providing web hosting services to your clients or personal use. IMHO the economy of scale for hosting are losing ground fast to large cloud providers and not providing sufficient value in terms of automation and scalability. Your needs may be different.

If by any chance you are doing a business providing hosting services, I guess it makes more sense to build it on top of mature cloud providers to cut down on TCO. Even for small businesses, it makes a lot of sense to do so. CDN such as Cloudflare and Cloudfront will provide a lot of performance, edge caching capabilities, and better backbone routing and bandwidth when you are trying to measure loading speed. It's not just the application server at play. Obviously the database matters too.

Well could be too much information here, so you decide for your use
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #363

There should be quite a few established web hosting providers in Singapore other than just these 3, right.

cybersite
simplercloud (found their speed test 103.25.202.105)

i think new media express (i think this is theirs, please correct if wrong, i only googled: http://sg1.newmediaexpress.com/) and ready space servers are also very good. don't know if you consider them web hosting providers. Most of these are much better than vodien, but imo.

and also, if dont need to be singaporean companies, godaddy is also a webhosting provider in singapore
cyberpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #364

Newmediaexpress shared hosting has been acquired by Vodien.

Cybersite is totally acquired by Exabytes.

Just for your information. Most of the older web hosting has been absorbed into Vodien or Exabytes already.
singaporehostingspeedtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #365

Newmediaexpress shared hosting has been acquired by Vodien.

Cybersite is totally acquired by Exabytes.

Just for your information. Most of the older web hosting has been absorbed into Vodien or Exabytes already.
This is only relevant to the comparison if the plans from the other mentioned companies all have the same hosting stack and exact same data center connectivity as the three you have already compared. And if that is actually the case (though unlikely, I feel), then it would be quite a bad idea to choose to host there anyway and commit to the lower redundancy of being hosted with the same situation as hundreds of thousands (i guess?) of other businesses in Singapore. That, at least, is the claim if you add up all these "thousands and thousands" of businesses these companies all claim to service. Well my point is so-called download speed, or the speed of downloading assets from a web site, becomes less important than other less tangible things like actual hosting support and expertise with servers, network and the technology (err and not chat support and empty-headed first-liners who are hired to pick up the phone), especially if the perception is most businesses still use webhosting. Don't really think this is correct either.

But if that's the going thought, then not sure if Readyspace has been "absorbed" by anyone but it looks like they have taken pains to do their speedtest site, and it looks different from the other Ips given already. According to their web site, they also have web hosting and their technical team is very well-known in professional tech circles. For overseas hosts (who may have singapore nodes), ovh and linode generally have good reputation. SimplerCloud is good also.
Old 31-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #366

My personal opinion is that, with the introduction of providers like CloudFlare which can provide WAF and CDN. Speed wise can be handled quite well.

The crucial points become uptime, support and security.

Some of the hosting providers are using dedicated server in tier 3 datacenters.

Tier 1: Guaranteeing 99.671% availability.
Tier 2: Guaranteeing 99.741% availability.
Tier 3: Guaranteeing 99.982% availability.
Tier 4: Guaranteeing 99.995% availability.

If uptime is critical, it is important to go for both tier 4 datacenter and self-healing cloud. Else a single hardware component failure can take at least 2 hours to replace compared to hosting in the cloud which can take less than 15 ~ 30 minutes using live migration in case of faulty hardware.

For support wise, we believe it should be as easy and smooth as possible. A simple Whatsapp replied with 2~5 minutes should be able to resolve level 1 to level 3 issues easily.

As far as security goes, a good 30 daily backups is sufficient to rollback any damage of the website file. Security monitoring and scanning should be live being constantly monitored by real human beings.

Lastly, my company try to experiment with 12 x monthly cpanel backup of customers account to see if it helps. 4 x weekly server backup.

30 x daily account backup and 12 x monthly account backup should be able to cover most of the extreme cases.

Last edited by Alan.Oryon; 31-07-2020 at 11:20 PM..
Alan.Oryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #367

Hi there,
I am currently signed to a very reputable shared hosting for like $30 SGD for 2 years. However, I would like to use Python together with the site however I cannot use pip or apt-get command. One advantage of the shared hosting is CPANEL.

2ndly, I would like to have a static IP address preferably (not NAT).
Does it make sense to sign up for Digital Ocean or A2 Hosting to do the backend processing for python and unix and transfer via FTP to my shared hosting when it is done? Or transferred the CPANEL site to the Cloud VPS site once the backend processing is completed?
twinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #368

For the scripting part, what you're looking for is a KVM VPS, VPS with root access (not necessarily KVM, but if you say KVM then they will know) running Linux and Python. Most VPS providers like OVH, VULTR, Digital Ocean, Linode, and some cheaper ones (i'm sure there are many) , will offer something good and I think most or all have Singapore nodes, if that is important to you. The thing to note is these are usually unmanaged, but they prob have a lot of kb guides and a sizable community that you might get support from, if needed. You should be able to google these names and find plans on their web sites. They should all come with at least one static/ unique IP address (not NAT). But I don't know if you can get these plans at $30 for 2 years though. Prob something like $5/month or a bit less.

I doubt you can host/ run both your script and cPanel on the same VPS, so porting one to the other or vice versa may have to depend on the situation. cPanel (whm) is a web panel that is used to manage/configure sites on a server, and it shouldnot be installed on a VPS if you intend to still run shell commands and scripts outside of cpanel unless you know what you're doing. For your scripting, there might be also free sites that offer free hosting for coders / script development (I don't know for sure, but maybe google to see).
Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #369

Hi there,
I am currently signed to a very reputable shared hosting for like $30 SGD for 2 years. However, I would like to use Python together with the site however I cannot use pip or apt-get command. One advantage of the shared hosting is CPANEL.

2ndly, I would like to have a static IP address preferably (not NAT).
Does it make sense to sign up for Digital Ocean or A2 Hosting to do the backend processing for python and unix and transfer via FTP to my shared hosting when it is done? Or transferred the CPANEL site to the Cloud VPS site once the backend processing is completed?
Ok, I just tried Digital Ocean with Free $100 credit.

- Is there a way to check the remaining credit and usage on the command line?
- If I turn off the CPU, does it mean that it won't accumulate?
- I selected the basic plan, $5 a month, 0.007c per hour. Does it mean it goes by the hour as compared to disk space usage?

2ndly, is digital ocean allowed for penetration testing assessment and hosting of command and control server (for white hack hacking purpose)

At the same time, I am also thinking of combining resource between my Cloud and Shared Hosting, any good use case on that?
Also is there any good use case for CPanel (not in terms of security but functionality), going to make the most out of it.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #370

Ok, I just tried Digital Ocean with Free $100 credit.

- Is there a way to check the remaining credit and usage on the command line?
- If I turn off the CPU, does it mean that it won't accumulate?
- I selected the basic plan, $5 a month, 0.007c per hour. Does it mean it goes by the hour as compared to disk space usage?

2ndly, is digital ocean allowed for penetration testing assessment and hosting of command and control server (for white hack hacking purpose)

At the same time, I am also thinking of combining resource between my Cloud and Shared Hosting, any good use case on that?
Also is there any good use case for CPanel (not in terms of security but functionality), going to make the most out of it.
Hi - Wow nice credit amount! I know these overseas providers always have good discounts. Glad you found a deal. OK - I have only used Digital Ocean once or twice before for company projects, so this is what I remember from before:

- should be shown on the portal, but cannot remember exactly where because finished credit long ago
- if you turn off the droplet, the charges will still accumulate. the charges will stop only if you destroy / terminate the droplet.
- it will go by the hour up to the max of the monthly price.

But please do check their commujnity support or KB for the latest info though. Or try their email support. Do reply if you want, to share update.

Not too sure about penetration testing, but i think they should allow. Depending on the nature of the pentest or va being performed, like what is being probed, scanned, attempted, you may want to clear it with you provider first as well. Because they may be proactive and block
Old 03-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #371

Hi there,

I just set up a VPN in using Digital Ocean in US.
Here is what I tested and found out.

1. The sites load quite slowly.
2. When i go to google it asked me for captcha.
3. When I go to a site with cloudflare, it shows that the IP address is blocked (some autonomous system)

It was not through the traditional method OpenSSH but through Dynamic Port Forwarding.
Did I miss out any steps like set DNS>

Last edited by twinbaby; 03-08-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Old 03-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #372
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi there,

3. When I go to a site with cloudflare, it shows that the IP address is blocked (some autonomous system)

It was not through the traditional method OpenSSH but through Dynamic Port Forwarding.
Known issue apparently
https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...-google-search
https://www.reddit.com/r/VPN/comment...ogle_captchas/

There is nothing you can do, except to report to DigitalOcean.

Other related news
https://meduza.io/en/news/2018/04/18...r-digitalocean

lol
https://www.theregister.com/2019/05/...ed_my_company/

Is there a real good reason why you want to go with DigitalOcean ?
AWS free web tier is trial for 1 year, that means where DO give you (I assumed USD)100 credit, AWS credit would be AT LEAST USD128.28 just for the t2.micro instance alone, not to mention 5GB of S3, RDS db.t2.micro, and more.

Read up more from https://aws.amazon.com/free

Last edited by davidktw; 03-08-2020 at 10:37 PM..
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #373

Hi - Wow nice credit amount! I know these overseas providers always have good discounts. Glad you found a deal. OK - I have only used Digital Ocean once or twice before for company projects, so this is what I remember from before:

- should be shown on the portal, but cannot remember exactly where because finished credit long ago
- if you turn off the droplet, the charges will still accumulate. the charges will stop only if you destroy / terminate the droplet.
- it will go by the hour up to the max of the monthly price.

But please do check their commujnity support or KB for the latest info though. Or try their email support. Do reply if you want, to share update.

Not too sure about penetration testing, but i think they should allow. Depending on the nature of the pentest or va being performed, like what is being probed, scanned, attempted, you may want to clear it with you provider first as well. Because they may be proactive and block
Before any PenTest, you should inform the provider in advance. Else there is a chance they will suspend your account with notice.

For AWS etc, there is https://aws.amazon.com/security/penetration-testing/

----------------------

Your authorization number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

- you have agreed to abide by the Terms and Conditions and AWS’s Procedures Regarding the Use of Security Assessment Tools and Services. You can review what you have agreed to at https://aws.amazon.com/forms/penetra...esting-request
- you have agreed to abide by Amazon Web Services Customer Agreement available at http://aws.amazon.com/agreement/
- if you discover any vulnerabilities or other issues that are the direct result of AWS, you have agreed to contact aws-security@amazon.com within 24 hours of completion of your testing.

---------------------------------
Alan.Oryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM   #374
Supremacy Member

Hi there,

why do you need to use DO when there tons of lifetime VPN offers at StackSocial?
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #375

Hi there,

Are you configuring a VPN in your DO droplet and trying to use it to access US sites from Singapore? I thought initially it was something about needing root user environment for python scripts to connect to another Singapore web site. Because if it is the latter, I think DO does have Singapore nodes, so you might want to choose a Singapore location for your DO droplet.

For Item 1-3, I think if you are just trying to surf sites, maybe a real VPN service like express or nordvpn would work better because they provide managed, optimized, vpn as a service. If you config/manage your own, have to research more on to how to mitigate these issues. For example,using VPN service, quite a lot of the time , depending no what the VPN blocks, google wil captcha you anyway, depending on the level of VPN, and you may not be able to log into gmail at all. The further away the VPN is from you, the worse it may be in loading time.

If you really want to compare/test performance of your droplet in terms of server performance, it would be a different type of benchmarks (IO, speed tests etc).

I know that DO and some of the lowend VPS providers like them used to be popular for setting up VPNs for own user access 1-3 years ago, so perhaps they limit traffic or prevent certain protocols . But for surfing kind of purpose, there are a lot of VPN services in the market now that might be more useful. In a kind of related example, a Digita Ocean droplet may not be email ready at the time of deployment, they may actually disable email ports to disallow sending and the IP addresses have also been known to be blacklisted at launch. This is to prevent mass spamming and bunch of semi-illegal activity coming out of the droplets. For low end providers like this, although many developers like to recommend them, these are some of the risks. But for just running a few scripts, demo/monitoring or developing environment, generally OK.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.