HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Webhost to recommend for SAAS software for Singapore companies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #1

Webhost to recommend for SAAS software for Singapore companies

Hi guys,

Looking for recommendations for a webhost that wont burn a hole in our pocket during our early days of our SAAS software.

AWS definitely going to be too expensive for the start.

Would Digital Ocean be a good one or are there any cheaper alternatives for singapore market?
PrivacyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

checkout Jelastic... if you are going to host it in Asia especially Singapore DC then prices isn't going to be cheap.
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

What kind of spec are you looking for and what are you comparing AWS against your determine AWS is too expensive?
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #4

I think if you choose the development platform carefully and select the least-cost of cloud components used (multiply by usage), the cost should be lowered.

There's a cost table for you to work out the estimated costs.

Set thresholds for alerts to be sent hitting say 50% of budget.

Run your development SAAS on trial (without activating your account), no actual cost is incurred.

Review the forecasted cost for the month.

Turn on BigTable billing analytics, so as you have detailed billing info.

Last edited by jackoats.sg; 12-08-2020 at 09:12 AM..
jackoats.sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Master Member

When you compare resource to resource AWS is definitely much more expensive compared to many other providers out there (e.g. DigitalOcean, Linode)

AWS shines when you are looking to use all the other services besides the standard ec2 instances. (easy scaling, very powerful and customizable infrastructure etc etc)

Couple of VPS hosts that i can think of with Singapore servers: DigitalOcean, Linode, OVHCloud
Swiftbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

When it comes to a project, what is most expensive? Labour cost or machine cost? Someone trying to build a SAAS solution canít be using just merely 1 server, I assumed

Someone trying to build a business canít be just deploying the system once and call it a day too. Of course I am not saying other platforms are not providing lesser values (based on what is required), but I think it is important to consider how a capable platform providing all the bells and whistles to achieve the less labour to most output will indeed give the business the most effective TCO.

Those graphs alone that merely measure computing performance per unit price seems to be taking a very narrow perspective to what cost a business or solution is based on.

My point is if you donít try, you actually donít really know for sure.

Last edited by davidktw; 11-08-2020 at 01:20 PM..
davidktw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #7

What is the stack?

General recommendation is big cloud microservices with credits , so free, if you can find. AWS should still be giving out credits - can google to find (do share if you do). But yes, after develop already, then if really want to host for real, then when credits run out, got to migrate or get stuck there.

If just need normal Linux server, then those low end VPS - (Vultr / Shinjiru/ OVH / RamNode / Linode (more expensive) also give promos and credit sometimes.

For local SAAS testing, can also try Simplercloud. My previous company use before for test and monitoring stuff - find them solid. Their VMs are instant and can self-reboot or rebuild, can launch with many Linux / Windows operating systems, and pay monthly (but no per-minute type). Then support and data center is in Singapore so no need worry. Most important is actually support, my opinion. I hate Digital Ocean support.

I think one point is if u use for testing, then anywhere can find a place to host. But then if later u want to sell to client or use for long-term, then must consider cost, support, hosting location. So whether or not u thinking short term or long term lah. Sometimes script works in test enviro then port to client's server , got to trouble shoot. Depends on whether you want to account for that opportunity cost from the start.

Hi guys,

Looking for recommendations for a webhost that wont burn a hole in our pocket during our early days of our SAAS software.

AWS definitely going to be too expensive for the start.

Would Digital Ocean be a good one or are there any cheaper alternatives for singapore market?
itsgiantjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.