HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Courts Extended Warranty

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eric3743

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Courts Extended Warranty

In Nov 2017 I bought Samsung Washing machine at Courts to replace my washing machine that broke down (I bought it in Feb 2015), so the warranty was just lapse.

The sales person recommended me to get extended warranty to cover for additional 3 years (2+3). I remember he told me that anything happen within that 5 years, I will be covered. This cost me extra $139 with the original price of $349.

Yesterday my machine broke down. I went to Courts last night and the guy told me to call the Extended Warranty hotline which I did this morning.

The staff told me since I am only on the 2nd year there is nothing they can do. They can only register the case in Nov 2019. so they asked me to call Samsung directly.

I told her what happen if Samsung does not cover the warranty and she told me there is nothing she can do. I am at my own.

So w t f is this. I called Samsung and Samsung told me this is not covered by warranty. So I have to pay part and labor. Estimated cost is $250. So it is very unlikely I will proceed with the repair as I may as well buy a new washing machine as to probably cost $400+.

So my point, in that case, Courts is really pocketing my $139 for nothing, as they refused to do anything now. I told her what's the point I paid $139 for 3rd year coverage if there is no guarantee that the machine will last beyond 2nd year.

I think this is a really a scam so be careful.
Old 19-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Extended Warranty matter.

Usually extended warranty are another term for insurance since it is the Insurance Companies that cover this extended warranty policy.

Retailers take part of the commission where they are the one who sells such policies to consumers.

The product repair is assigned to certain repair workshop and handle all repairs relating to the product itself.

The repair workshop cost is paid by the insurance company according to their T&C on the repair cost negotiated.

The coverage on this extended warranty would start after the product standard warranty expires.

Should the product failed during the warranty period it would not be covered by extended warranty as it is not in force yet.

Usually the product manufacturer do cover almost everything with exception for those failure due to wear & tear and/or maintenance issue.

Customers are to maintain the product in order to be covered by manufacturer warranty.

Once the manufacturer warranty ended then the extended warranty start.

Also during this period the customer will have to ensure it is still have to maintain the product.

That's if the product failed due to wear & tear and/or maintenance not follow accordingly then it may not be covered.

Hence not all consumer do understand the differences between Manufacturer Warranty and Extended Warranty.

Since both Standard and Extended Warranty are covered separately and differently as by Manufacturer and Insurance, respectively.

Last edited by eric3743; 19-12-2018 at 02:59 PM..
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Master Member

why are you blaming courts? first 2 years is under manufacturer warranty, if samsung does not honor their warranty citing whatever reason you should be bashing them.

Assuming you didn't buy the EW, you would be bashing samsung why are they selling a machine with 2 years warranty and not honoring their warranty right?

For courts, you can bash them if they try to cite whatever reason to avoid repairing/replacing your machine FROM 3rd year onwards.

Last edited by lifeishard; 25-12-2018 at 12:49 PM..
lifeishard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Usually extended warranty are another term for insurance since it is the Insurance Companies that cover this extended warranty policy.
Warranty and Insurance are 2 different concepts. By using the term 'Extended Warranty', I beg most of the consumers perceived it as 'Warranty' and not 'Insurance' during the purchase.

'Extended Warranty' functions as 'Insurance' and NOT Warranty.

However, Courts / Harvey Norman / Challengers / etc continue labeling it as 'Warranty' instead of 'Insurance' because
1. to avoid and bypass stiffer rules & regulations of selling insurance products
2. to mislead consumers and get easy buy-in.

xwarrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

Warranty and Insurance are 2 different concepts. By using the term 'Extended Warranty', I beg most of the consumers perceived it as 'Warranty' and not 'Insurance' during the purchase.

'Extended Warranty' functions as 'Insurance' and NOT Warranty.

However, Courts / Harvey Norman / Challengers / etc continue labeling it as 'Warranty' instead of 'Insurance' because
1. to avoid and bypass stiffer rules & regulations of selling insurance products
2. to mislead consumers and get easy buy-in.

The terminology on using "Extended Warranty" is correct as it provide guarantee to the product defects.

It is the same/similar as "Manufacturer Warranty" whereby it is the Manufacturer that guarantee the product from defects.

Insurances companies come into play as this is form of having the pool of monies collected in order to provide the product for repairs.

To understand the cost in having manufacturer warranty is that the product final retail pricing is higher than those products without such manufacturer warranty.

That's why some consumers would prefer no warranty in any kind as they prefer lower cost than paying the higher cost with warranty.
This is already very common in online sales on products label as "Export" which refer to no warranty provided.

Insurance companies do not just take a figure on this "Extended Warranty" cost as there is a working sheets on the calculation where the final amount are derived from.

Trust me as i did handle both Manufacturer and Extended Warranty on the products in my past working experience.

Customers who came for Extended Warranty claims are no different from those on Manufacturer Warranty claims.
They do not pay a cent if the product is defective in either Manufacturer or Extended warranty claims.
Insurance companies pay the repair workshop for the repair in full according to their Terms & Conditions stated in the policy.
And Manufacturer pay the Distributor service center for the repair in full.

In conclusion, the term used is meaning to EXTEND the warranty period of the product beyond the manufacturer warranty period coverage.

I don't know much about how insurance payout on other matters which may included partial or percentage of the final payout to the insured party.
Dr.Vijay likes this.

Last edited by eric3743; 15-01-2019 at 09:07 PM..
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #6
High Supremacy Member

big item hor, i dont think it worth to get the extended warranty.. bring in there to repair already a problem..... dunno how to carry in.
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Administrator

This is very peculiar.
The problem here is something we need to clarify with Samsung.

Regarding the extended warranty, the retailer will handle whatever is necessary from 3rd yeard onwards. The initial warranty years are handled by the product's brand. This is the standard practice in the industry as eric explained above.

Meanwhile, it would be great if you can supply more details on your washing machine issue and what were you asked to pay for when it's supposed to be within the 2-year warranty period.

In Nov 2017 I bought Samsung Washing machine at Courts to replace my washing machine that broke down (I bought it in Feb 2015), so the warranty was just lapse.

The sales person recommended me to get extended warranty to cover for additional 3 years (2+3). I remember he told me that anything happen within that 5 years, I will be covered. This cost me extra $139 with the original price of $349.

Yesterday my machine broke down. I went to Courts last night and the guy told me to call the Extended Warranty hotline which I did this morning.

The staff told me since I am only on the 2nd year there is nothing they can do. They can only register the case in Nov 2019. so they asked me to call Samsung directly.

I told her what happen if Samsung does not cover the warranty and she told me there is nothing she can do. I am at my own.

So w t f is this. I called Samsung and Samsung told me this is not covered by warranty. So I have to pay part and labor. Estimated cost is $250. So it is very unlikely I will proceed with the repair as I may as well buy a new washing machine as to probably cost $400+.

So my point, in that case, Courts is really pocketing my $139 for nothing, as they refused to do anything now. I told her what's the point I paid $139 for 3rd year coverage if there is no guarantee that the machine will last beyond 2nd year.

I think this is a really a scam so be careful.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.