HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Purchasing from authorized dealers VS Apple directly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Master Member

Purchasing from authorized dealers VS Apple directly

This is just a rant / PSA for those of you who are unaware, whenever you purchase something from an authorized dealer (be it exclusive or whatever names they want to call themselves), if there are anything wrong with the "purchase", you will have to deal with the retailer themselves and Apple cannot help you.

A friend of mine purchased an iPhone 8 Plus, didn't checked properly and the upon reaching home and further inspection, she realize that there were cosmetic defects under the screen (have to shine light in certain angles, something to do with the coating on the glass) Went back to retailer (Courts), and all they can do is say sorry go to Apple.

Apple has 14 days 1 to 1 exchange / returns but that is only if you deal with Apple directly. No chance or any leeway given even if the phone was purchased an hour or so before. As long as it is not directly from them they do not handle at all (which technically makes sense). At the end of the day have to send in for repair Spend 1k to buy a box and a refurbish phone. Oh well.

TLDR: Buy from Apple directly especially in Singapore where retailers aren't customer friendly.

Did a video to rant about it:
Swiftbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

Y U speak like ang moh ah?

Anyway, in all seriousness, I've also noticed that if you do go back to the retailer for a 1 to 1 (assuming they do list it in their terms and condition) the usual excuse will be "That was our last set"

Always that excuse.
goldnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
Master Member

User fault didn’t check
Just like my iPad Pro for defect on screen
Have to go to Apple to get a refurbished
Glariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

accent can compare to pinoy english. Please speak properly next time, emphasize the 'th' sound so much for wat
Beepok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Master Member

Y U speak like ang moh ah?

Anyway, in all seriousness, I've also noticed that if you do go back to the retailer for a 1 to 1 (assuming they do list it in their terms and condition) the usual excuse will be "That was our last set"

Always that excuse.
User fault didnít check
Just like my iPad Pro for defect on screen
Have to go to Apple to get a refurbished

Yeah definitely user fault. But imagine we had something like Amazon customer support, they'll just exchange for you 1-for-1 no questions asked. Probably even give you a gift card for your troubles. Understand that Singapore market don't have the scale to afford such things but oh well...

accent can compare to pinoy english. Please speak properly next time, emphasize the 'th' sound so much for wat

Paiseh la, my accent come whenever presentation / when I have a mic in front of me. It just kind of come very naturally since many years ago liao. I'm also totally not aware where I get it from and what kind of accent it is LOL
Swiftbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Maybe you may not be aware that beside Manufacturer/Distributor (MD) there do have other Suppliers that do import the same brand/model.

This is common here where Parallel or Grey Importers (PI) exists in form for the best of competition and pricing.
PI market to Suppliers or they themselves do the marketing.

The next point to take note that these MD themselves are aware and may not be too happy about it but this is how doing business here is all about.

The worst part is that there is some form of pointing fingers on especially for repair that made some MD must comply to be involved.
Repair that concern safety issue is & may made mandatory to force upon MD to handle.
In this way this may lead to MD to avoid other form of repairs not in their favour.

When a consumer buy a brand product from Retailer and so would not know who is the supplier or where this retailer source from.

Next is that the warranty &or guarantee on this said product.
Usually the warranty will be from the source..
Supplier who have the alternate repair center to handle.

This is where there are conflicts of interest comes in.
Retailer will earn some rebates in getting the product from the Supplier.

If you are not aware on issues where Retailers run out of stock but MD still have plenty.
Still these Retailers will continue to say as 'out of stock' which would be true if they are not getting the product from the MD but elsewhere where stocks may be limited.

Supplier will tend to give leeway to those Retailer who command high sales turnover or have some form of relationship.

Phones & handsets products are often known as fast moving items.
Both MD and PI are well aware and able to predict on the sales figures and may bring whatever they needs as not to overstock or oversupply.
Should one PI run out of supply then this PI may source from fellow related PI.

For Apple product you should be aware of such happening.
Why would Apple themselves open shops here where that Retailer that sell only Apple products go bust..

Do note that yours is not the 1st case as there are already cases as similar to yours for some years.

Just ranting...
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.