HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Seeking advice for online purchase scam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Angry Seeking advice for online purchase scam

Come across a video ads showing a nebula capsule projector by Anker at $79.
Clicked on the video, I was brought to a site which has full description of the above product with specifications and so on. What appeal to me is that the mode of payment is 'Cash on delivery'. Next I filled up the relevant details : name, address and mobile number and press the submit button. Immediately a window appear which states - Congratulations, Submit successfully with some message in mandarin saying that the goods ordered will be delivered 7-10 days time and the mode payment is cash on delivery. The deliverer with contact me thru call or message me before the delivery. There was'nt any contact number or email included for communications with the company. I did not receive any email confirming my purchase.

Unlike other online purchases which i had made with other online sales sites which have a page pop up to allow the buyer to review the item purchase and price + shipping cost, the address to send the item to. After checking that everything is correct then you proceed to click the 'confirm order button' and proceed to payment.

I began to realize that i might be a possible online purchase scam victim. I immediately googled the website which surprised me further. The website display only fashion wear, some handbags and there is no menu button for other products they offer. Also comments which said that "beware of this shop that the item delivered is not the same item the buyer bought. Do not buy from this shop, it cheat".

I am still awaiting for the delivery to be effected and feeling moody. I can only blamed it on my own foolishness.

What i am planning to do is:
1) Since it is COD, i will refuse payment if the cost is not $79. They may include hefty shipping cost which i was not informed earlier at point of making the purchase.
2) Insist that i open the parcel to check and ensure what is delivered to me is the correct item i ordered. If the delivery man refuse to my request, i will again refuse to pay and ask that the item be returned to the supplier.
3) If the dispute becomes nasty i will regretfully call the police.

I would to appeal to kind souls in forum to advice whether the above is justifiable and any other good advice to offer especially those who had similar experiences.

Thanking all in anticipation

regards
newtown_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 03:33 AM   #2

Long time ago I bought a Nintendo Switch through amazon at a very low price. Suddenly my money get back and my purchase was canceled. So an advice is: Don't buy in strange sites, unless Amazon (or a big company) is behind.
machotrueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #3

Hello
That is a good piece of advice. Must be more careful buying things online.

regards
Old 26-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Otherwise, when the delivery arrives, just say there's no such person staying here and it's probably a wrong address entered. Not nice to make things difficult for the delivery guy especially if they are just working for a courier company like SingPost etc. They will just return the parcel to their office or to the sender saying it's a wrong address.
really_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

Otherwise, when the delivery arrives, just say there's no such person staying here and it's probably a wrong address entered. Not nice to make things difficult for the delivery guy especially if they are just working for a courier company like SingPost etc. They will just return the parcel to their office or to the sender saying it's a wrong address.
Hello,
Thank you for the nice suggestion.
Old 27-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Points to take note when doing online where your personal details are required.

It is important to know some idea on the website/seller details and the product item on display.

Do take note on the website details as on whether it is on secured link as in " https:// " where "s" refer as secured.

Should you are not sure on the website there is this "i" in front of https:// and click on it to see if the site is secured connection and other details.

All online sites need to be secured in order for any details input is secured and not easy to hijack for other purposes.

Take note on any pop-up window for it may divert you to other unsecured website via link.

Whenever possible do save screenshots of whatever you input and any other details.

A little bits of info that you saved &or notice will benefit should there be any issues later on.

By now you should know the outcome of your 'purchased product'.

Should there be no news on the outcome then there may be other possibilities in regard to this offer.

It would be also someone is collecting personal details for other purposes.

There is a need to safeguard your personal details on the internet.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #7

Hello eric3743
Thanks for the good advice.
It has been over 3 weeks now, still no sign of delivery. My main concern is about my personal details : name, home address, email and mobile number. What are some precautions I need to take? Please advise. Thanks so much.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Hello eric3743
Thanks for the good advice.
It has been over 3 weeks now, still no sign of delivery. My main concern is about my personal details : name, home address, email and mobile number. What are some precautions I need to take? Please advise. Thanks so much.
If it is scammer please do be aware for any unknown &or contacts not in your list when receiving calls &or emails.

That's if the caller do not properly introduce/identify themselves then ignore them.

Meanwhile keep an eye on the email address &or content for any irregularity.

Nothing much you can do now but to monitor and do be careful.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #9

If it is scammer please do be aware for any unknown &or contacts not in your list when receiving calls &or emails.

That's if the caller do not properly introduce/identify themselves then ignore them.

Meanwhile keep an eye on the email address &or content for any irregularity.

Nothing much you can do now but to monitor and do be careful.
Hi eric3743
Thank you so much for your sound advice.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.