HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

User Review: Vpost vs. Borderlinx

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Master Member

User Review: Vpost vs. Borderlinx

Loyal vpost customer, used them for 3-4 years already I think. But recently switched over to Borderlinx after I got a Citibank PremierMiles card. After using them for a few months I can safely say that I will be sticking with Borderlinx. No more Vpost for me!

Shipment processing speed
For parcels delivered to the US shipping address, vpost usually takes 1-2 days to process while borderlinx usually updates within a few hours. Borderlinx is the clear winner here.

Delivery speed
Borderlinx delivery is consistently 3 days with DHL, vpost takes about a week or more depending on your luck.

Cost
If you have the 12% UOB discount with vpost, for smaller shipments the price is quite similar, borderlinx might be slightly cheaper. However if there is no UOB discount or you have large/heavy packages, borderlinx becomes much cheaper.

Convenience
When I want to ship something from borderlinx, its one-click and shipment costs are charged directly to my citibank card. Vpost must go through the payment process each time, and there is a one-time SMS code you need to enter in as well. Borderlinx also has the autoship function, which makes it even more convenient if you don't want to consolidate shipments.

Borderlinx also doesn't require you to send them an invoice for each parcel, which mostly is quite convenient but sometimes they might estimate the value wrongly and if you are not careful might incur GST. Easily fixable because borderlinx has good customer service though (see below).

Tax
Unfortunately borderlinx is located in Ohio so some online sites will charge sales tax. Vpost is in Oregon which has no sales tax.

Concierge
Borderlinx is free, vpost charges A LOT. "Nuff said. In terms of processing both sites take a few days to process the order. Not so good if you are trying to buy a sale item or something with limited stock.

Customer Service
Borderlinx has live chat service, or you can choose to have them call you, and they usually respond quite quickly. Vpost must email, sometimes they take quite a while to reply. Even updating invoices takes a few days for vpost.

Conclusion
I think it is quite obvious that borderlinx is by far the superior service. The only flaw I see in borderlinx's service is that it is located in a state which charges sales tax. Vpost was originally located in California which has one of the highest taxes but they relocated to Oregon to eliminiate this problem. Hopefully borderlinx will do something about this as well.

Also, you need to be a citibank customer. I got a citibank card mostly to try out borderlinx, and I am very satisfied with the service. Only problem is that now ordering stuff from the states is so much more convenient, I am spending more but that is another story...
Alex31 and kendrick272 like this.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
ER
Arch-Supremacy Member

Borderlinx has certainly improved a lot in their sevices recently and my vote goes to them as well.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for sharing...
jtchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

very nice review
Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #5

TS, which online website do you shop for electronics or c peripherals?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'll take note of this. Last time I have to post so many questions here before I know how to "Buy from US online stores." Actually, a 'tutorial' or "Buying from US 101" guide will be good addition to your review.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Master Member

TS, which online website do you shop for electronics or c peripherals?
newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave.
i also buy second hand from forumers in the states. eg hardofurms, anandtech.

I'll take note of this. Last time I have to post so many questions here before I know how to "Buy from US online stores." Actually, a 'tutorial' or "Buying from US 101" guide will be good addition to your review.
just use concierge. cut and paste link of item, input price and description. can liao don't need to waste time with credit card info shipping address and all that.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
ER
Arch-Supremacy Member

Now USD rising...
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #9

newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave.
i also buy second hand from forumers in the states. eg hardofurms, anandtech.
Does newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave ship internationally? If not, do you get Borderlinx concierge to buy for you? Any shipping charges for US address if use concierge?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #10

Tks for sharing. Been bearing with Vpost crappy customer service for too long. Will definitely try this service next time.

I also have the Citi Premieremiles. How come they didn't inform me of this service??
chins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #11

Thks, great info.

Can also use Comgateway which is sometimes cheaper than BDX. I used Borderlinx once and the service is fast but the shipping cost as compared to comgateway is higher. Iam now using comgateway to ship iRobot cleaners, probably will reach here next week after my 3rd item reach cgw on 6/9.
ktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Now USD rising...
if still dont rise SG going to sink le lah.

Exports so exp because SGD rise lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Master Member

Does newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave ship internationally? If not, do you get Borderlinx concierge to buy for you? Any shipping charges for US address if use concierge?
no international shipping, thats why must use borderlinx.
er, read my post for concierge charges.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
High Supremacy Member

for me the extra few days wait for vPost is ok but the main concern is the shipping rate. Borderlinx is so much cheaper than vPost for shipping larger or heavier items.
cannotliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #15

besides gst, are there other charges like customs duty and VAT? As I understand boderlinx is a UK registered company therefore might incur VAT?

referring to this link : http://www.borderlinx.com/citi/sg/en/tip4.html
jackson_ljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.