User Review: Vpost vs. Borderlinx

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
Loyal vpost customer, used them for 3-4 years already I think. But recently switched over to Borderlinx after I got a Citibank PremierMiles card. After using them for a few months I can safely say that I will be sticking with Borderlinx. No more Vpost for me!

Shipment processing speed
For parcels delivered to the US shipping address, vpost usually takes 1-2 days to process while borderlinx usually updates within a few hours. Borderlinx is the clear winner here.

Delivery speed
Borderlinx delivery is consistently 3 days with DHL, vpost takes about a week or more depending on your luck.

Cost
If you have the 12% UOB discount with vpost, for smaller shipments the price is quite similar, borderlinx might be slightly cheaper. However if there is no UOB discount or you have large/heavy packages, borderlinx becomes much cheaper.

Convenience
When I want to ship something from borderlinx, its one-click and shipment costs are charged directly to my citibank card. Vpost must go through the payment process each time, and there is a one-time SMS code you need to enter in as well. Borderlinx also has the autoship function, which makes it even more convenient if you don't want to consolidate shipments.

Borderlinx also doesn't require you to send them an invoice for each parcel, which mostly is quite convenient but sometimes they might estimate the value wrongly and if you are not careful might incur GST. Easily fixable because borderlinx has good customer service though (see below).

Tax
Unfortunately borderlinx is located in Ohio so some online sites will charge sales tax. Vpost is in Oregon which has no sales tax.

Concierge
Borderlinx is free, vpost charges A LOT. "Nuff said. In terms of processing both sites take a few days to process the order. Not so good if you are trying to buy a sale item or something with limited stock.

Customer Service
Borderlinx has live chat service, or you can choose to have them call you, and they usually respond quite quickly. Vpost must email, sometimes they take quite a while to reply. Even updating invoices takes a few days for vpost.

Conclusion
I think it is quite obvious that borderlinx is by far the superior service. The only flaw I see in borderlinx's service is that it is located in a state which charges sales tax. Vpost was originally located in California which has one of the highest taxes but they relocated to Oregon to eliminiate this problem. Hopefully borderlinx will do something about this as well.

Also, you need to be a citibank customer. I got a citibank card mostly to try out borderlinx, and I am very satisfied with the service. Only problem is that now ordering stuff from the states is so much more convenient, I am spending more but that is another story...

ER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Borderlinx has certainly improved a lot in their sevices recently and my vote goes to them as well.

kimura

Reaction score
TS, which online website do you shop for electronics or c peripherals?

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll take note of this. Last time I have to post so many questions here before I know how to "Buy from US online stores." Actually, a 'tutorial' or "Buying from US 101" guide will be good addition to your review.

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
TS, which online website do you shop for electronics or c peripherals?

newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave.
i also buy second hand from forumers in the states. eg hardofurms, anandtech.

I'll take note of this. Last time I have to post so many questions here before I know how to "Buy from US online stores." Actually, a 'tutorial' or "Buying from US 101" guide will be good addition to your review.

just use concierge. cut and paste link of item, input price and description. can liao :) don't need to waste time with credit card info shipping address and all that.

kimura

Reaction score
newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave.
i also buy second hand from forumers in the states. eg hardofurms, anandtech.

Does newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave ship internationally? If not, do you get Borderlinx concierge to buy for you? Any shipping charges for US address if use concierge?

chins

Reaction score
Tks for sharing. Been bearing with Vpost crappy customer service for too long. Will definitely try this service next time.

I also have the Citi Premieremiles. How come they didn't inform me of this service?? :(

ktee

Reaction score
Thks, great info.

Can also use Comgateway which is sometimes cheaper than BDX. I used Borderlinx once and the service is fast but the shipping cost as compared to comgateway is higher. Iam now using comgateway to ship iRobot cleaners, probably will reach here next week after my 3rd item reach cgw on 6/9.:D

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
Does newegg, zipzoomfly, mwave ship internationally? If not, do you get Borderlinx concierge to buy for you? Any shipping charges for US address if use concierge?

no international shipping, thats why must use borderlinx.
er, read my post for concierge charges.

cannotliao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for me the extra few days wait for vPost is ok but the main concern is the shipping rate. Borderlinx is so much cheaper than vPost for shipping larger or heavier items.

ktee

Reaction score
besides gst, are there other charges like customs duty and VAT? As I understand boderlinx is a UK registered company therefore might incur VAT?

referring to this link : http://www.borderlinx.com/citi/sg/en/tip4.html

Bdx only charge shipping charge to SG. No GST unless amt >SGD400. They will chg service fee of about SGD2 if need to pay GST. :o

Guess VAT is for UK like GST is for SG.

yuri21

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Do you think if shipping stuff in glass bottles(essentials oils basically) by Borderlinx, would the stuff be damaged?

nattynat

Reaction score
What is the sales tax rate for borderlinx in Ohio? Is it applicable on all orders Borderlinx processes, or only if the merchandise value hits S$400? Thanks!

FrEeBiEs

Reaction score
Lemme update what i encountered from borderlinx. Things you have to take note.

1) Parcel update takes 24-48 hours, as the customer officer always recite. In addition, if it reaches borderlinx on a friday, can wait till monday as that courier department does not function on weekends. I encountered 2 occassions. First one is reach on tues, update on thurs. Second one is reach on fri, update on mon. Days here, refers to their time, 13 hours time diff.

2) Beware with insurance issues. Do note that insurance coverage is only covered if the item is paid by citibank card. If its not... Good luck. I am now stuck with issues with borderlinx. I used DBS credit card to pay for a laptop, as the citibank one doesn't transact no matter how many times i tried. The laptop screen came smashed. Now they keep reciting that you can claim insurance only if the item is paid by citibank credit card. And the other thing that will recite... Is that, the issue is escalated to the relevent department, and unlike the customer service support, which takes a few hours to reply, this one take on average 2 days for a reply. Each time the reply comes, they will tell, the issue is escalated to the relevent department. No doubt the next mail 2 days later will tell me that.

3) They open up your parcel to check the condition of the item. You have to becareful here. My laptop was delivered in 3 boxes: An external shipping box, the next internal one being the laptop box, and the inner most one the accessory box. The parcel came and the external shipping box was intact. The laptop box and accessory box was badly damaged, aka punctured, so much so that the blow tore the laptop and accessory box and smashed the laptop screen from the outside cover. The external box was untouched.
I took a screen save that borderlinx acknowledged that the item was received in good condition, as they always open the parcel up to check. The box was received with the borderlinx sealed tape. Its hard to imagine how DHL can ship the parcel and damage the internals to that extent with the external box intact.

4) 3 days shipping apply if you use express service. Standard delivery is definately not 3 days.

5) I was contacting citibank for borderlinx issues, and citibank told me that they will lias with borderlinx directly. Its for payment issues, as the citibank card, from 2 seperate owners, cannot make a transaction with borderlinx though petrol kiosk accepts it on the same day. What i came to realise is... They don't communicate. They use me as a middle man to tell information to the other side, even if they said they will communicate. Damn irritating as i don't see why i need to be the messanger.

So... If you are thinking about borderlinx and thinking that its as good as its rumoured, think twice and i advise you do take precaution.

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, there were such a wide ranges of laptop offers in Singapore & at such affordable prices, I wonder what prompted you to take such a risk & trouble to buy from US. Not to mention for such a fragile item as a laptop. Anyway, sorry for your lost.

Lemme update what i encountered from borderlinx. Things you have to take note.

1) Parcel update takes 24-48 hours, as the customer officer always recite. In addition, if it reaches borderlinx on a friday, can wait till monday as that courier department does not function on weekends. I encountered 2 occassions. First one is reach on tues, update on thurs. Second one is reach on fri, update on mon. Days here, refers to their time, 13 hours time diff.

2) Beware with insurance issues. Do note that insurance coverage is only covered if the item is paid by citibank card. If its not... Good luck. I am now stuck with issues with borderlinx. I used DBS credit card to pay for a laptop, as the citibank one doesn't transact no matter how many times i tried. The laptop screen came smashed. Now they keep reciting that you can claim insurance only if the item is paid by citibank credit card. And the other thing that will recite... Is that, the issue is escalated to the relevent department, and unlike the customer service support, which takes a few hours to reply, this one take on average 2 days for a reply. Each time the reply comes, they will tell, the issue is escalated to the relevent department. No doubt the next mail 2 days later will tell me that.

3) They open up your parcel to check the condition of the item. You have to becareful here. My laptop was delivered in 3 boxes: An external shipping box, the next internal one being the laptop box, and the inner most one the accessory box. The parcel came and the external shipping box was intact. The laptop box and accessory box was badly damaged, aka punctured, so much so that the blow tore the laptop and accessory box and smashed the laptop screen from the outside cover. The external box was untouched.
I took a screen save that borderlinx acknowledged that the item was received in good condition, as they always open the parcel up to check. The box was received with the borderlinx sealed tape. Its hard to imagine how DHL can ship the parcel and damage the internals to that extent with the external box intact.

4) 3 days shipping apply if you use express service. Standard delivery is definately not 3 days.

5) I was contacting citibank for borderlinx issues, and citibank told me that they will lias with borderlinx directly. Its for payment issues, as the citibank card, from 2 seperate owners, cannot make a transaction with borderlinx though petrol kiosk accepts it on the same day. What i came to realise is... They don't communicate. They use me as a middle man to tell information to the other side, even if they said they will communicate. Damn irritating as i don't see why i need to be the messanger.

So... If you are thinking about borderlinx and thinking that its as good as its rumoured, think twice and i advise you do take precaution.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.