HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vpost? Borderlinx? Comgateway?

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #2236

Any idea roughly how much is the shipping cost to ship a laptop from US using Borderlinx exclude the 7% gst?
kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #2237

CGW is definitely closed till next Monday. You can try reaching them on FB but seems the same as well.
Their Portland team should still be in biz till end of Friday though.

And btw, Fedex's dimensions are always off.
Xgelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #2238

hey guys, how much does it cost to ship a pair of jeans? or two for that matter

not sure if buying via ebay/amazon is better, shipping cost on ebay is 26usd. Will this be lower for com gateway?
starsandstripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #2239
Master Member

I believe you can only contact them via email or live chat. The latter is supposed to be open Mon - Fri 11am to 6pm, but I guess they're not in now due to the PHols.
oic
thx for teh info
Ralphel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #2240
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone knows if Vpost (or any other forwarder) charges to nearest 0.5kg for each package too, or do they charge to nearest 0.5kg for total shipment weight?
VPOST minimum charge is per package is 0.5kg but does 100gm incremental after that.

Last edited by eddy2099sg; 09-08-2013 at 03:26 PM..
eddy2099sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #2241

hey guys, how much does it cost to ship a pair of jeans? or two for that matter

not sure if buying via ebay/amazon is better, shipping cost on ebay is 26usd. Will this be lower for com gateway?
USD26 direct to Singapore? In this case yes it MAY be cheaper, or not.
It actually depends if the seller offers FREE local US shipping, and also if they want to pack the jeans in a packet/envelope form.
Some do and some won't.
If shipped in a box, you be prepared to pay volume weight.

From my experience, shipping a pants via USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope = 1.00kg chargeable (physical weight rd up) while in a Priority Flat Rate small-med box is usually 2-2.5kg chargeable (vol weight rd up).

Just do some math and you'll have your answers.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #2242

Just realised CGW charges to the nearest 0.5kg for EACH package...Got a bit of a shock as the Taobao agent I always use charges to the nearest 0.5kg for your TOTAL shipment weight and I assumed it would be similar. One of my packages only consists of 2 velcro straps and I have to pay 0.5kg worth of shipment for an item weighing 0.05kg...Boo

Anyone knows if Vpost (or any other forwarder) charges to nearest 0.5kg for each package too, or do they charge to nearest 0.5kg for total shipment weight?
CGW is still cheap considering how efficient and trustworthy they are. I've tried a few shipping companies, CGW overall is the best by miles.

I didn't realise how cheap they are until I tried Shipito. I seriously got a shock when i saw how much it'd cost to ship my Shipito packages!!! I only use Shipito to ship stuff like perfumes, which comgateway won't ship because of possible complications. And also when i order beautiful antique stuff which I don't want others to touch. Because comgateway opens the package to get the invoice, whereas Shipito doesn't.

Seriously, CGW is very cheap for the service they provide
littlemissdimples88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #2243
PC
Supremacy Member

I've been using borderlinx for years, borderlinx and nothing else until I read this thread and regret big time. It's the first time I use CGW and will be the last.

Bought 2 items, 1 from amazon, 1 from retailer. my experience as below:

- borderlinx in eastern US, which is very near to my items. usual 2 days delivery using free ground shipping.
- CGW in west, which is 2000++ miles away from items and borderlinx. 5 business days to reach.

- once item received, borderlinx update and send email to me on the day itself, at most 1 business day later.
- both items to CGW took 1 day to email me.

- once I click ship, borderlinx ship out on the same day or latest 1 working day after.
- CGW took 3 working days to ship out.

so in total, CGW can take additional 5-6 working days compared to borderlinx.

price is slightly cheaper with CGW but as mentioned, they round up to nearest 0.5kg, so difference is minimal. certainly not worth the additional 5-6 working days. If you use CGW express service, you actually pay more but get the items later than with borderlinx.
PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #2244
jf

I've been using borderlinx for years, borderlinx and nothing else until I read this thread and regret big time. It's the first time I use CGW and will be the last.

Bought 2 items, 1 from amazon, 1 from retailer. my experience as below:

- borderlinx in eastern US, which is very near to my items. usual 2 days delivery using free ground shipping.
- CGW in west, which is 2000++ miles away from items and borderlinx. 5 business days to reach.

- once item received, borderlinx update and send email to me on the day itself, at most 1 business day later.
- both items to CGW took 1 day to email me.

- once I click ship, borderlinx ship out on the same day or latest 1 working day after.
- CGW took 3 working days to ship out.

so in total, CGW can take additional 5-6 working days compared to borderlinx.

price is slightly cheaper with CGW but as mentioned, they round up to nearest 0.5kg, so difference is minimal. certainly not worth the additional 5-6 working days. If you use CGW express service, you actually pay more but get the items later than with borderlinx.
this doesnt sound so bad? So you're saying you used CGW once... and then you regretted using it for this one time?

Over a decade of professional, battle-tested Linux consulting and services
jf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2245

He must have selected "Normal" shipping, that's why 2-3 working days later then shipped out.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #2246
PC
Supremacy Member

this doesnt sound so bad? So you're saying you used CGW once... and then you regretted using it for this one time?
Yes, regretted of not finding the location and detailed info. Thought I can get my items to use this long wkend, now it's still in US.

He must have selected "Normal" shipping, that's why 2-3 working days later then shipped out.
I'm a 'cheapo' who always select the cheapest option available, in fact never used any express service before. "normal" shipping through borderlinx is still very fast. 1 working day for them to ship out.

amazon free shipping and borderlinx cheapest option, I can get my items in 9 working days. if use CGW and cheap shipping, 9 days still stuck there. if use fast ship for both amazon and CGW, it's cheaper to just stick to borderlinx.

Last edited by PC; 09-08-2013 at 04:54 PM..
PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #2247

2 reasons why I don't use CGW:

a) CGW rounds up the weight of *each package*. I recommend using Borderlinx instead.
BL rounds up the total shipment weight to the next 0.5kg, rather than per package as CGW does.

If you shipped 6 boxes of 1.1kg to CGW, they'll charge you 9.0kg (1.5 * 6 = 9kg).
The same 6 boxes shipped to BL only comes to 7kg (1.1 * 6 = 6.6 ~ 7kg)

b) You pay *more* for GST though CGW, as they effectively collect 7.35% from you instead.

The main disadvantage of BL, is you need a Citibank CC.
VPOST minimum charge is per package is 0.5kg but does 100gm incremental after that.
CGW is still cheap considering how efficient and trustworthy they are. I've tried a few shipping companies, CGW overall is the best by miles.

I didn't realise how cheap they are until I tried Shipito. I seriously got a shock when i saw how much it'd cost to ship my Shipito packages!!! I only use Shipito to ship stuff like perfumes, which comgateway won't ship because of possible complications. And also when i order beautiful antique stuff which I don't want others to touch. Because comgateway opens the package to get the invoice, whereas Shipito doesn't.

Seriously, CGW is very cheap for the service they provide
Thanks for the info guys! I was comparing different services before deciding to use CGW, calculated shipping using their respective services and found CGW to be the cheapest. Just didn't know that they would round off to nearest 0.5kg per package, which would make shipping more expensive than they seem to be.

Did a calculation to compare 7kg shipped using Borderlinx and 9kg shipped using CGW...
Borderlinx for 7kg: USD60.37
CGW for 9kg: USD59.45

Overall CGW still cheaper. They don't charge the 7.35% GST unless your package including shipping goes above 400SGD right?
metzalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #2248

Yes, that is correct.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #2249

anyone has experience with comgateway insurance claim?
I ordered a laptop from rakuten, and shipped via comgateway. THe item came in with wobbly hinge and broken parts.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #2250

Buying Hand phone case

Hi I just purchase a lumia 1020 hand phone. Singapore has no accessories for this model since it has not been launched yet.

i searched and found a few vendors selling lumia 1020 cases and screen protector in USA. Since the case are light and small in dimensions, would it be worthwhile to ship over to Singapore? Read that some round up the weight of each item to 0.5kg during consolidation? Can someone advise a good shipper to use? Not very experiened in this
ngng111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.