HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Vpost? Borderlinx? Comgateway?

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #2566

Question UK Address

Hi guys, I am planning to buy something from slendertone.com (UK). Where can I get a free UK address? Only vPost and Borderlinx have free UK address? How about Comgateway?
derick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #2567

Just Sharing Guys.....

Enjoy 20% off your shipping rates in January 2014 when you pay for your freight charges within 1st - 31st Jan 2014

Promocode: SHOPUS2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
www.uclick2buy.com (Your Personal Shopping Concierge)
icebabys81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #2568

CGW promocodes?

Hi, does anyone has promocodes for CGW pls?
Thanks!
CBBcbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #2569
Supremacy Member

so which is the cheapest forwarder?

there's a 20% disc for vpost, 25% for myus.com...
Erwinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #2570

borderlinx is the best and less headache among the rest?
Actually no. I just gave Borderlinx a try after being a longtime vPost user, and I would seriously NOT recommend them.

Seems cheap at first, but a LOT of hidden costs. I know vPost has a few detractors here, but at least with them you always have a rough idea of how much you're gonna pay for your packages once the measurements come in. Base charge + each package's actual/volumetric weight charge, that's it. Anything else like insurance or faster shipping, your choice if you wanna pay for it.

Borderlinx hides behind a lot of jargon in their FAQ without explicitly telling you how much you have to pay and for what purpose.
Even their stupid cost calculator is redundant when they can just give you their actual shipping rates, because it doesn't matter what items or value your package has (things you need to input into the cost calculator), it all ends up the same.
The only thing that matters is the actual/volumetric weight and they refuse to just plainly state that and give the rate anywhere on their site.

I thought I'd give them a try cause I got some 25% discount code, so I signed up for their UOB account (they have different types of accounts, bloody confusing).

Later informed the 25% discount doesn't apply to the UOB-based accounts, only the "main" one, whatever that is. Nowhere is this stated in their terms and conditions for the voucher, and I had to go through their customer service to find out.

Also, a MAJOR drawback if you usually consolidate multiple packages for forwarding, it seems like they calculate the cost of the shipment for purposes of insurance and tax by adding the TOTAL of all packages, i.e. your ENTIRE shipment.

If you're not aware, Singapore charges import tax for packages valued at S$400 or more. Borderlinx adding the value of ALL the packages together naturally increases the odds of you hitting that tax-free limit!

To make matters worse, they charge you mandatory insurance if your packages are valued above US$250, and again, this is determined by the sum of the entire shipment.

As far as I know, vPost calculates this separately, so you can have multiple packages of S$300, S$240, S$100, and you will NOT be charged tax for it, as long as not a single one is over $400, and even if it is, I believe you just pay tax for that one, not the entire shipment.

And insurance is never forced on you by vPost - it's optional and even then, you can choose which packages to insure. Why the hell should I need to pay insurance for a couple of t-shirts unless you're shipping them in plastic bag or something?!

Bloody Borderlinx ended up charging me a lot more than I expected and I would have been better off sticking with vPost. Total rip-offs, never using Borderlinx again.

tl;dr
Be prepared to pay for a lot of hidden costs with Borderlinx, especially if you consolidate multiple packages.
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #2571

I've been using VPost USA for my Amazon purchases and so far so good - once you get over their rather idiotic procedures.

For one, I think they've stopped send you delivery slips! You have to guess when your shipment arrives in Singapore, then copy down the VP number and go to your nearest post office to collect!

I now have an issue with VPost Japan. My item has been delivered last week (confirmed by Yamato) but VPost Japan has no record!

I hope it's not because of the address as the one provided by VPost Japan doesn't match the format requested by Amazon Japan. I don't think it should be the problem.

I called VPost to ask. The call centre staff asked for the usual stuff - account number, tracking number etc. She asked me which shipper was used and I told her Yamato. She checked and said Yamato page had no record of the package. I told her I'd check separately, and hung up.

On Yamato JAPAN site, my package was confirmed delivered. I guess VPost checked the Yamato SINGAPORE site???????

I submitted an enquiry via the Singpost website. There is no way of knowing if the enquiry has been received because there is no acknowledgement email!

Last resort was to post on VPost Facebook (since they seem to update quite regularly) and sure enough VPost responded.

But you know what - VPost deletes comments and feedback from its FB Page!!!

What's there to hide? Other than bad customer feedback I guess.

The plot continues. VPost USA generally no issue but VPost Japan hasn't been pleasant so far.
lutein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #2572
Supremacy Member

Also, a MAJOR drawback if you usually consolidate multiple packages for forwarding, it seems like they calculate the cost of the shipment for purposes of insurance and tax by adding the TOTAL of all packages, i.e. your ENTIRE shipment.

If you're not aware, Singapore charges import tax for packages valued at S$400 or more. Borderlinx adding the value of ALL the packages together naturally increases the odds of you hitting that tax-free limit!
Are you sure about this?By right consolidating should be all packages put into 1.Therefore total value of the single consolidated package is >400 therefore inuring GST

Is vpost allowing you to put all the packages into 1 box, having a value of >$400 and not asking for GST?
Zabiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #2573

Are you sure about this?By right consolidating should be all packages put into 1.Therefore total value of the single consolidated package is >400 therefore inuring GST

Is vpost allowing you to put all the packages into 1 box, having a value of >$400 and not asking for GST?
Yes, I've shipped multiple packages with value exceeding S$400 before in one vPost shipment.
Shipment, not box. (i.e. everything still arrives in their original US packaging)

Their concept of consolidation is not packing everything into a single box, it just means they ship all the packages they've collected at once, saving you on the base fee per shipment.

Do the other freight forwarders actually packeverything into a single box for shipping though?
Still waiting for my Borderlinx shipment, but from their site, it looks like they've also sent out my packages in their individual boxes despite charging me GST for their total value.
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #2574

now vpost does not have anymore discount promotion for credit cards?
kaze-no-koe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #2575
Supremacy Member

I know for Ebay, always pay in USD to SGD.
What about Canadian dollar, Euros and Pounds?
foo9883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #2576
Supremacy Member

Do the other freight forwarders actually packeverything into a single box for shipping though?
Still waiting for my Borderlinx shipment, but from their site, it looks like they've also sent out my packages in their individual boxes despite charging me GST for their total value.
I dont quite rmb but i think my CGW one came in 1 box with all the USA boxes untouched inside. Thus it does make sense that GST is incurred, since its 1 shipment
Zabiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #2577
Supremacy Member

I know for Ebay, always pay in USD to SGD.
What about Canadian dollar, Euros and Pounds?
Any other currency is always first converted to USD, then to SGD. It's transparent to you, but it's in your CC's T&C and you're effectively hit by their exchange rate spread twice.

They do not pack everything into a single box; but GST is still chargeable. I can only guess with Singpost as the postal carrier that status perhaps allows their Vpost some latitude.

Last edited by dreant; 03-01-2014 at 10:38 AM..
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #2578

Hi All.

I am confused as this is the 1st time shipping via vpost.

My US order from amazon is SGD$390, I have calculated vpost shipping + fuel + services fees to be ard SGD$130 so total is SGD$520. Does that means I will be charge GST?
gwen.t8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #2579
Supremacy Member

Hi All.

I am confused as this is the 1st time shipping via vpost.

My US order from amazon is SGD$390, I have calculated vpost shipping + fuel + services fees to be ard SGD$130 so total is SGD$520. Does that means I will be charge GST?
Vpost FAQ: 5. How do I calculate the Customs GST amount imposed on my online purchases?

Protip: Pay Amazon in USD, instead of SGD. Your CC's exchange rates is always better than Amazon's.
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #2580

[QUOTE=dreant;82451702 Vpost FAQ: 5. How do I calculate the Customs GST amount imposed on my online purchases?

Protip: Pay Amazon in USD, instead of SGD. Your CC's exchange rates is always better than Amazon's.[/QUOTE]

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response.
I pay in USD. I have read the above link before posting here. I even called singpost n they say they will not charge me gst because my order is less than sgd$400 but the above link means order amt + vpost = over $400 will charge gst.

I'm so confused. y cant all online provide international shipping....
gwen.t8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.