NEW : Samsung S8003 Jet Amoled Screen

benoon

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got mine on Sat, lets talk abt the cons before we go into the Pros.

The most disappointing part is the lack of 3D navigation for Local set, which only applies for European side only.(I've asked the service centre)

As advertised and reviewed/previewed on the commsasia and mobilephone websites, its quite disheartening when you see the local set doesnt have something the European model has.

So far, i think the cube is utterly redundant (for me) the quick left snap or right snap dont really react to wad u do, its like, not very sensitive.

I had a bright pixel can be seen when the surrounding is dark.
I was unable to see it during the checking when i buy the phone, cuz it is so small and it was not in the view when in menu, but only in photo view or the background is flat black

Since no navigation software, GPS is not very useful anymore. :(

Messaging in qwerty mode doesnt have the ability to click and edit the word or character that is misspelt (i believe this can be fixed in the software, not a very major problem)

Lack of Apps, During the commsasia, they PROMISE to make SAMSUNG app store. lets hope they live up to their PROMISES.

We want Widgets, not Widget Links...Still need alot of improvement here.

The 1800 hotline, i've called them twice yesterday and promised that the technician will call me on my enquires i've asked. Till today i havent receive any calls from them.

Luckily i was around the vicinity of their service centre and dropped by to enquire my queries.

Now abt the Pros

I feel that the smart unlock is great! it cut shorts the amount of time you need to travel from unlocking the screen to the app or task u wanna do.

It can open up to 22 apps/task before it prompts lack of resources. And to close/browse the open apps, you can press and hold the cube button

the audio is superb with WOWHD or 5.1 or other profiles.

the qwerty really impressive (ex-E61i user) for a virtual keyboard. can achieve approx 97% accuracy after 4 days of usage. ( meaning the number of typo mistake reduced with fair amount of typing speed)

Nothing much to complain on the video play as i didnt really add any video in it. but the youtube is playable.

The specs for the hardware is of high spec, which is very very good work by samsung!

conclusion

I think samsung developers for the jet is too focus on the minor things that makes the user have to do alot of task first be4 getting what they want. But this is not a bad thing, cuz after all it is the software/firmware.

I REALLY REALLY HOPE, they can achieve what they promise during the conference and stuff... else it is really bad choice for me to give samsung a try or to shine on their promising "start from scratch" OS

which will come in a few months time i hope...

PS: i need to cut short cuz laptop running out of batt!

seems the GPS is a bit useless. But when i used google map it uses GPRS instead of my wifi connection? anyway to resolve that. I am using my home wifi network.

How did u manage to stream youtube videos? I used the phone's mobile youtube....keep saying connection to server lost after some time although it says connected at the video player.....Wad are ur settings for the browser and VOD settings? thanks a lot :)

Kitaro9202

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seems the GPS is a bit useless. But when i used google map it uses GPRS instead of my wifi connection? anyway to resolve that. I am using my home wifi network.

How did u manage to stream youtube videos? I used the phone's mobile youtube....keep saying connection to server lost after some time although it says connected at the video player.....Wad are ur settings for the browser and VOD settings? thanks a lot :)

for the GPS go to games and more > more >Connection

benoon

Reaction score
for the GPS go to games and more > more >Connection

thanks a lot. I'm not sure if the google map is now using wifi when its loading cos the google map display takes up the whole screen.

Another question. I went to settings > phone settings > GPS settings > gps. The lat long altitude shows 0 even if i am outdoors. However when i go to satellite status i see some information in the form of "ID:[04] - Cno:[16.0]" Anyone knows wad this means? I think i should be able to get a lat long reading outdoors rite?

Thanks

Kitaro9202

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot. I'm not sure if the google map is now using wifi when its loading cos the google map display takes up the whole screen.

Another question. I went to settings > phone settings > GPS settings > gps. The lat long altitude shows 0 even if i am outdoors. However when i go to satellite status i see some information in the form of "ID:[04] - Cno:[16.0]" Anyone knows wad this means? I think i should be able to get a lat long reading outdoors rite?

Thanks

for the altitude thing i dun know

Joelleyuan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May i know what's the difference between this and the S8000 Jet?
The one starhub selling is 8000 or 8003?
Is there white colour?

Thanks alot. :p

zook09

Reaction score

Thanks

when u goto satellite status, the "ID.....", is the id of the satellite that the gps receiver in ur Jet can see right now, the more satellites it can see, easier to get ur position.
how many satelites does it show ? depending on the place i am, i have seen 0 to i think 12 satellites.
i think there shd b 3-4 satellite, then it will b able to triangulate ur position correctly, and then u will c th Lat, Long and Alt readings.
altitude is supposed to be ur current altitude above sea level, i suppose, but donno how accurate that is.
hope this helps

zook09

Reaction score

-----

gps is working quite ok, when i use it with the route 66 maps, it can slowly update my position when i am moving. this is free.
with google maps though, if u r outside and wd use the GPRS/3G then it can have network charges. if use a wifi, then shd b free.
hope changing the connection settings for java games n apps caused ur g-maps to use the wifi, instead of GPRS.
though g-maps takes the whole screen, if it is loading using the GPRS, i think u wd b able to see a small "globe with green arrow" icon on the upper right corner. that means GPRS is being used. i think that icon doesnt show, when wifi is used. check it out.

benoon

Reaction score
when u goto satellite status, the "ID.....", is the id of the satellite that the gps receiver in ur Jet can see right now, the more satellites it can see, easier to get ur position.
how many satelites does it show ? depending on the place i am, i have seen 0 to i think 12 satellites.
i think there shd b 3-4 satellite, then it will b able to triangulate ur position correctly, and then u will c th Lat, Long and Alt readings.
altitude is supposed to be ur current altitude above sea level, i suppose, but donno how accurate that is.
hope this helps

thanks. I was at ang mo kio just now. it showed the lat long. dunno accurate or not but at least it shows something. i got 8 satellites. Thanks. At least i know the GPS is working.

gvn_crap

Reaction score
-----

gps is working quite ok, when i use it with the route 66 maps, it can slowly update my position when i am moving. this is free.
with google maps though, if u r outside and wd use the GPRS/3G then it can have network charges. if use a wifi, then shd b free.
hope changing the connection settings for java games n apps caused ur g-maps to use the wifi, instead of GPRS.
though g-maps takes the whole screen, if it is loading using the GPRS, i think u wd b able to see a small "globe with green arrow" icon on the upper right corner. that means GPRS is being used. i think that icon doesnt show, when wifi is used. check it out.

is the samsung lbs working with new firmware versions?>

Joelleyuan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does this phone has any sms reminder? Like it will have an alert tone every 5 min if u didnt notice your sms....

micshell

Reaction score
hi, how do i view powerpoint slides? must i download any applications before i can view it from my phone?

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, how do i view powerpoint slides? must i download any applications before i can view it from my phone?
there is a built in reader. but it is quite sensitive....some can open some cannot.

try opening it. if can good, if cannot then too bad. :(

desmondband

Reaction score
Does this phone has any sms reminder? Like it will have an alert tone every 5 min if u didnt notice your sms....

there is..you go to settings-->phone profiles-->select ur profile the double red arrow >> -->the drop down list select "new messages"-->under "message alert repetition" select "periodic". so it will keep ringing till u read ur msg. silent mode also can do it.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there is..you go to settings-->phone profiles-->select ur profile the double red arrow >> -->the drop down list select "new messages"-->under "message alert repetition" select "periodic". so it will keep ringing till u read ur msg. silent mode also can do it.
wah....so sorry. :D

napster79

Reaction score
As u guys know that the phone could only store abt 200 sms (inbox), have u all tried to back up the sms b4 deletion?? I tried using NPS, but couldn't detect my phone :( Anyway, i doubt it can back up also..

I have also tried to search for other 3rd party software to back up, but couldn't find.. can anyone share if u have a solution... thanks..:)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.