www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   SAMSUNG User Group (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/samsung-user-group-136/)
-   -   Samsung 10+ mini-review (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/samsung-user-group-136/samsung-10-mini-review-6004894.html)

Blazing fire 06-03-2019 03:11 PM

Samsung 10+ mini-review

I "upgraded" from a Motorola X Play to a Samsung 10+ and I am completely underwhelmed by the screen. Actually, that's putting it mildly...

1. The AMOLED screen uses Pulse-width modulation (PWM) for dimming, and uses a very low frequency PWM at that. This causes me eye-strain.

2. The "vivid' mode is oversaturated.

3. The "neutral" mode has a yellows cast even with the blue light filter off and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector.

I don't care if it has HDR10+ if colours on websites don't even appear correctly!

I thought the biggest issue would be the childish skin Samsung uses. In fact, my main issue is the ostensibly colour accurate screen... What an irony and disappointment.

[11 March 2019 update: Since day one, I've been finding it hard to read texts on the Samsung 10+, even with the screen resolution set at 3440 x 1440 and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector. Texts appear slightly fuzzy compared to my cheap 1920x1080 IPS screen. I think I've finally found out the reason: the Diamond Pentile sub-pixel arrangement.]

[16 April 2019 update: The off-viewing angles of the display (esp up-down) is terrible!!! Isn't OLED supposed to be better than most TFT?]

cstanhwz 06-03-2019 03:33 PM

You did not take a look at the display sets (after the announcement) and demo it first?

Nevereatrice 06-03-2019 03:46 PM

After awhile u will love the display and vivid mode better and would not want to go back to lcd screens again.
It takes time for it to condition your eye that's what note 9 has done to me
I was like u initially frown at the over saturated screen
There's a reason amdk reviewers gave Samsung amoled best display award
Lcd screens look dull to me now

dappercivility 06-03-2019 08:18 PM

Really? I use different phones, all like seems same to me if i never compare them side by side.

Norman Chan 07-03-2019 12:15 PM

TS must be one in a million to have such a bad review for the S10+...ha...ha...

Blazing fire 07-03-2019 03:40 PM

@Nevereatrice. I value colour accuracy very much :s13:.

Also, I wonder how many of those review are as methodologically sound as TFTCentral.

A quote from one of their monitor reviews: "The screen was tested at default factory settings using our new X-rite i1 Pro 2 Spectrophotometer combined with LaCie's Blue Eye Pro software suite. An X-rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter was also used to verify the black point and contrast ratio since the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer is less reliable at the darker end."

Let's see what microLEDs will bring to the table. :s8:

Blazing fire 11-03-2019 02:03 PM

I think I've figured out why texts looks a bit fuzzy - see my 11 March update in my original post.

Wow, there really isn't anything positive about the screen (at least where it matters) is there?

kingkangkong 11-03-2019 08:37 PM

note9 also has sever black crush issues. quite silly. The screens really are not all they are hyped out to be.

Omnia1 13-03-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing fire (Post 119624311)
I think I've figured out why texts looks a bit fuzzy - see my 11 March update in my original post.

Wow, there really isn't anything positive about the screen (at least where it matters) is there?

Looks like you have specific needs which make the S10/S10+ unsuitable for you. Those with similar needs or preferences should certainly avoid the S10/S10+. I believe most other folks would enjoy Samsung screens, very much.

Sent from Samsung SM-T835 using GAGT

Blazing fire 27-03-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omnia1 (Post 119662369)
Looks like you have specific needs which make the S10/S10+ unsuitable for you. Those with similar needs or preferences should certainly avoid the S10/S10+. I believe most other folks would enjoy Samsung screens, very much.

Sent from Samsung SM-T835 using GAGT

I admit I'm a demanding customer :D. I'd like a 120hz (or even 240hz) display, for instance, so that I can continue reading text even while I'm scrolling a page. Saves me time.

But is my requirement to have a display which is (a) colour accurate and (b) easy on the eyes (i.e. non-flicker, high resolution) really that unique?

xonix 27-03-2019 11:03 AM

Yes. 10 characters

Blazing fire 27-03-2019 11:06 AM

Questioning the wisdom of curved edge display (aka "infinity display")

I also question the wisdom of having part of the display curved at the sides.

First, it causes distortion and vignetting. Pull up the Straits Times app, for instance, and you'll immediately notice that texts at the edges of the screen are distorted and the white background at the edges are darker.

Second, I do not see how the infinity display helps to create a more immersive experience in a normal use case. Almost everyone uses a case these days, since modern phones aren't as rugged as the phones of yesteryear :s8:. Once you attach a case to the S10+, the aforesaid benefit of an infinity display is entirely negated.

Third, it adds additional cost to manufacture the phone, money which I'd rather had gone into giving us even better NAND. SLC or Optane technology anyone? Or even Samsung's Z-NAND?

Blazing fire 27-03-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xonix (Post 119917299)
Yes. 10 characters

You can't be serious :s12:

xonix 27-03-2019 01:29 PM

I also prefer flat screen. With regards to flash memory, that's why they are continuously working on improving ufs every year.

Gaminator 27-03-2019 01:38 PM

I think the title of this thread is wrong, this ISN'T a review....it strikes me as more of a rant or criticism.

Regardless, I followed a tip by one of the guys in the main S10 thread and battery life has certainly improved. Did a full charge at about 11am yesterday, went out and listened to some Spotify, some messaging, a little surfing the NET....now, as of 1:38pm today, it's hanging at 77%.