Samsung 10+ mini-review

Blazing fire

Reaction score
I "upgraded" from a Motorola X Play to a Samsung 10+ and I am completely underwhelmed by the screen. Actually, that's putting it mildly...

1. The AMOLED screen uses Pulse-width modulation (PWM) for dimming, and uses a very low frequency PWM at that. This causes me eye-strain.

2. The "vivid' mode is oversaturated.

3. The "neutral" mode has a yellows cast even with the blue light filter off and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector.

I don't care if it has HDR10+ if colours on websites don't even appear correctly!

I thought the biggest issue would be the childish skin Samsung uses. In fact, my main issue is the ostensibly colour accurate screen... What an irony and disappointment.

[11 March 2019 update: Since day one, I've been finding it hard to read texts on the Samsung 10+, even with the screen resolution set at 3440 x 1440 and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector. Texts appear slightly fuzzy compared to my cheap 1920x1080 IPS screen. I think I've finally found out the reason: the Diamond Pentile sub-pixel arrangement.]

[16 April 2019 update: The off-viewing angles of the display (esp up-down) is terrible - massive colour changes, just like a Kaleidoscope!!! Isn't OLED supposed to be better than most TFT?]

[May 27 Update: Despite having a 1200nits rating, the screen on the s10+ is dimmer than the IPS screen of my previous (cheap) Motorola!

How did Samsung arrive at its 1200 nits marketing gimmick? Read here: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10-review-1903p3.php]

[May 29 Update: If you wish to read a balanced review of the Samsung S10, have a look at XDA's website. It validates some aspects of my review of the S10+.]

TL;DR: Samsung's AMOLED needs massive improvements.

Last edited:

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
You did not take a look at the display sets (after the announcement) and demo it first?

Nevereatrice

Honorary Member
Reaction score
After awhile u will love the display and vivid mode better and would not want to go back to lcd screens again.
It takes time for it to condition your eye that's what note 9 has done to me
I was like u initially frown at the over saturated screen
There's a reason amdk reviewers gave Samsung amoled best display award
Lcd screens look dull to me now

Last edited:

dappercivility

Master Member
Reaction score
Really? I use different phones, all like seems same to me if i never compare them side by side.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS must be one in a million to have such a bad review for the S10+...ha...ha...

Blazing fire

Reaction score
@Nevereatrice. I value colour accuracy very much :s13:.

Also, I wonder how many of those review are as methodologically sound as TFTCentral.

A quote from one of their monitor reviews: "The screen was tested at default factory settings using our new X-rite i1 Pro 2 Spectrophotometer combined with LaCie's Blue Eye Pro software suite. An X-rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter was also used to verify the black point and contrast ratio since the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer is less reliable at the darker end."

Let's see what microLEDs will bring to the table. :s8:

Blazing fire

Reaction score
I think I've figured out why texts looks a bit fuzzy - see my 11 March update in my original post.

Wow, there really isn't anything positive about the screen (at least where it matters) is there?

kingkangkong

Reaction score
note9 also has sever black crush issues. quite silly. The screens really are not all they are hyped out to be.

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I've figured out why texts looks a bit fuzzy - see my 11 March update in my original post.

Wow, there really isn't anything positive about the screen (at least where it matters) is there?
Looks like you have specific needs which make the S10/S10+ unsuitable for you. Those with similar needs or preferences should certainly avoid the S10/S10+. I believe most other folks would enjoy Samsung screens, very much.

Sent from Samsung SM-T835 using GAGT

Blazing fire

Reaction score
Looks like you have specific needs which make the S10/S10+ unsuitable for you. Those with similar needs or preferences should certainly avoid the S10/S10+. I believe most other folks would enjoy Samsung screens, very much.

Sent from Samsung SM-T835 using GAGT

I admit I'm a demanding customer :D. I'd like a 120hz (or even 240hz) display, for instance, so that I can continue reading text even while I'm scrolling a page. Saves me time.

But is my requirement to have a display which is (a) colour accurate and (b) easy on the eyes (i.e. non-flicker, high resolution) really that unique?

Blazing fire

Reaction score
Questioning the wisdom of curved edge display (aka "infinity display")

I also question the wisdom of having part of the display curved at the sides.

First, it causes distortion and vignetting. Pull up the Straits Times app, for instance, and you'll immediately notice that texts at the edges of the screen are distorted and the white background at the edges are darker.

Second, I do not see how the infinity display helps to create a more immersive experience in a normal use case. Almost everyone uses a case these days, since modern phones aren't as rugged as the phones of yesteryear :s8:. Once you attach a case to the S10+, the aforesaid benefit of an infinity display is entirely negated.

Third, it adds additional cost to manufacture the phone, money which I'd rather had gone into giving us even better NAND. SLC or Optane technology anyone? Or even Samsung's Z-NAND?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also prefer flat screen. With regards to flash memory, that's why they are continuously working on improving ufs every year.

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the title of this thread is wrong, this ISN'T a review....it strikes me as more of a rant or criticism.

Regardless, I followed a tip by one of the guys in the main S10 thread and battery life has certainly improved. Did a full charge at about 11am yesterday, went out and listened to some Spotify, some messaging, a little surfing the NET....now, as of 1:38pm today, it's hanging at 77%.

Nevereatrice

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I admit I'm a demanding customer :D. I'd like a 120hz (or even 240hz) display, for instance, so that I can continue reading text even while I'm scrolling a page. Saves me time.

But is my requirement to have a display which is (a) colour accurate and (b) easy on the eyes (i.e. non-flicker, high resolution) really that unique?

Maybe u looking for iPhone xr. Have 120hz touch screen and color accurate and lcd panel which is non flickering
About the resolution i seen it in person it isn't that bad after all as it uses wide color gamut. Eyes will get use to it and will grow to like it

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I never experienced any of the issues mentioned... colour cast happens to all screens... it's a matter of preference... and if you've done screen colour calibration before, you'll know that it's also a matter of taste as well... unless your screen can project 100% of the colour gamut of whichever colour space you choose to calibrate against, any calibration is also an averaging... besides, we don't use our phone screens for colour accurate production of photos or video, or do colour proofing, what's the point of a colour accurate screen? What's more important is a screen whose colours are pleasing to the majority of viewers...

While 120 Hz screens are nice to have, they aren't necessary at all. Besides they'll just up the power consumption. Which is why the new iPhones don't have very outstanding battery life even though the software is optimized for the hardware. And the screen doesn't flicker, I don't know how you perceive it... the refresh rate is much higher than what our eyes can perceive... in fact LCD screens are proof to flicker compared to OLED screens...

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe u looking for iPhone xr. Have 120hz touch screen and color accurate and lcd panel which is non flickering
About the resolution i seen it in person it isn't that bad after all as it uses wide color gamut. Eyes will get use to it and will grow to like it

XR or XS or Max does not have 120hz display. It's 120hz touch sensor. Only Razer phone series has it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.