HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Samsung 10+ mini-review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Samsung 10+ mini-review

I "upgraded" from a Motorola X Play to a Samsung 10+ and I am completely underwhelmed by the screen. Actually, that's putting it mildly...

1. The AMOLED screen uses Pulse-width modulation (PWM) for dimming, and uses a very low frequency PWM at that. This causes me eye-strain.

2. The "vivid' mode is oversaturated.

3. The "neutral" mode has a yellows cast even with the blue light filter off and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector.

I don't care if it has HDR10+ if colours on websites don't even appear correctly!

I thought the biggest issue would be the childish skin Samsung uses. In fact, my main issue is the ostensibly colour accurate screen... What an irony and disappointment.

[11 March 2019 update: Since day one, I've been finding it hard to read texts on the Samsung 10+, even with the screen resolution set at 3440 x 1440 and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector. Texts appear slightly fuzzy compared to my cheap 1920x1080 IPS screen. I think I've finally found out the reason: the Diamond Pentile sub-pixel arrangement.]

Last edited by Blazing fire; 11-03-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Blazing fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

You did not take a look at the display sets (after the announcement) and demo it first?

Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!
cstanhwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
Great Supremacy Member

After awhile u will love the display and vivid mode better and would not want to go back to lcd screens again.
It takes time for it to condition your eye that's what note 9 has done to me
I was like u initially frown at the over saturated screen
There's a reason amdk reviewers gave Samsung amoled best display award
Lcd screens look dull to me now

Last edited by Nevereatrice; 06-03-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Nevereatrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Really? I use different phones, all like seems same to me if i never compare them side by side.
dappercivility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

TS must be one in a million to have such a bad review for the S10+...ha...ha...
Norman Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #6

@Nevereatrice. I value colour accuracy very much .

Also, I wonder how many of those review are as methodologically sound as TFTCentral.

A quote from one of their monitor reviews: "The screen was tested at default factory settings using our new X-rite i1 Pro 2 Spectrophotometer combined with LaCie's Blue Eye Pro software suite. An X-rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter was also used to verify the black point and contrast ratio since the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer is less reliable at the darker end."

Let's see what microLEDs will bring to the table.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

I think I've figured out why texts looks a bit fuzzy - see my 11 March update in my original post.

Wow, there really isn't anything positive about the screen (at least where it matters) is there?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

note9 also has sever black crush issues. quite silly. The screens really are not all they are hyped out to be.
kingkangkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

I think I've figured out why texts looks a bit fuzzy - see my 11 March update in my original post.

Wow, there really isn't anything positive about the screen (at least where it matters) is there?
Looks like you have specific needs which make the S10/S10+ unsuitable for you. Those with similar needs or preferences should certainly avoid the S10/S10+. I believe most other folks would enjoy Samsung screens, very much.

Sent from Samsung SM-T835 using GAGT
Omnia1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.