HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Will This Be A Game Changer For Samsung?

Like Tree390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #5881
Supremacy Member

User finger print ba. Samsung Face unlock isn't secure
It isn't?
WhiteFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #5882
Master Member

It isn't?
All face unlock are insecure less Face ID from Apple thanks to the 3D depth mapping. Pure optical methods can be tricked and there is a reason why it is not used as a method for payments
deathst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #5883

It isn't?
It was shown that they can use photo to unlock with face unlock.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT
kennerv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #5884
Supremacy Member

All face unlock are insecure less Face ID from Apple thanks to the 3D depth mapping. Pure optical methods can be tricked and there is a reason why it is not used as a method for payments
not even the iris scan ?

Sent from Samsung Exploding Not 9? using GAGT
doki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #5885
Arch-Supremacy Member

not even the iris scan ?

Sent from Samsung Exploding Not 9? using GAGT
There are instances where the phone can be fooled using advanced printing and amplification of iris data. Still a step inferior than apple's face ID.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #5886
Supremacy Member

Using full screen gesture, took me few days to get use. It is not as fast in navigating than the old 3 buttons, but it looks cleaner.

Anybody find Samsung Pie aggressive to kill background apps? Every morning wake up, a lot of apps closed, left 3-4 apps. I disabled auto optimisation in Device Care, also same. By right, no need to always close background apps for Android OS leh. Dunno what Samsung engineers thinking.
my S9+ also closes a lot on android 9

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
joesph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #5887
Arch-Supremacy Member

There are instances where the phone can be fooled using advanced printing and amplification of iris data. Still a step inferior than apple's face ID.
I agree. My Note9's facial recognition unlocking is still nowhere near both my X and XS Max's face ID. So many times in certain conditions the Note9 can't detect while face ID nails it all the time.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #5888
Master Member

Using full screen gesture, took me few days to get use. It is not as fast in navigating than the old 3 buttons, but it looks cleaner.

Anybody find Samsung Pie aggressive to kill background apps? Every morning wake up, a lot of apps closed, left 3-4 apps. I disabled auto optimisation in Device Care, also same. By right, no need to always close background apps for Android OS leh. Dunno what Samsung engineers thinking.
Mostly due to Pie but there are at least 3 more settings other than Auto optimised go to Device care - battery - 3 dot menu - setting.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #5889
Supremacy Member

Didn't had the chance to try iPhone's facial unlock yet, but I was rather impressed with the Note 9. Could even unlock in very low light condition. At least before I updated to pie.

Also, the bluetooth transfer now takes forever
WhiteFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:02 AM   #5890
Master Member

Didn't had the chance to try iPhone's facial unlock yet, but I was rather impressed with the Note 9. Could even unlock in very low light condition. At least before I updated to pie.

The iPhone Face ID is very simple. It is about the same with iris but you don’t need to align it with your iris as it uses your face. Just look at it while holding it a short 15 cm away. Works in pitch darkness as well. You would barely notice the IR flash red as well.

Bluetooth has never been fast. Try Wifi Direct.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #5891
Arch-Supremacy Member

Face ID for iPhone even works in complete darkness.
Snoweagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #5892

I was surprised that iris unlock work even when I'm wearing sunglasses.

kennerv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #5893
Arch-Supremacy Member

I was surprised that iris unlock work even when I'm wearing sunglasses.

it won't work if the lens is of higher polarising grade or at a different angle, because part of the recognition IR ray is blocked. Sunglasses are supposed to block UV, better sunglasses can also block more of the light spectrum in that sense.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #5894
Arch-Supremacy Member

Face ID for iPhone even works in complete darkness.
Every one talking about complete darkness. LOL.

Face ID works regardless if you are in complete darkness or completely bright environment.

whereas for samsung's iris scanner, it works in complete darkness, and works best in complete darkness. Whereas Samsung's iris scanner doesn't work too well if you are in a super bright environment under the sun. Eg: at the beach, walking along the street with the sun over your head. Iris scanner will struggle depending on how overwhelming the UV ray is.

To circumvent this, you need to tilt your head in a way to avoid the UV ray shining directly onto the phone that masks the lower energy IR ray. SO basically to say, you can scan your iris when the sun is above you and your eyes looking down onto the phone which is facing up the sky.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #5895

Shiok now Bixby can map the key with single or double press.
roxas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.