Samsung Galaxy S2 - Guide to Rooting your phone (Always evolving and ever changing!)

AhLam86

Reaction score
Manage to root it but gt ! when reboot.Anyway nvm
Now would like to flash a custom rom such as

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1403044

but theres a XWKL1. What i meant? Is it compatible with DXKL3(current ver) or do i need to flash XWKL1 1st ?
confused.gif

jchoong

Reaction score
But I thought tat a modem file shld go under thr PHONE tab (I'm trying to flash a modem here)? How do I actually differentiate between a modem file and a firmware file so tat i can put them in the correct tab?

I normally put the modem/baseband file in a separate folder and copy the odin app into this folder too. Then I run odin from this folder, select the modem file under the Phone tab.

Actually nowadays I flash my modems using Mobile Odin which you can get from Market. Easier this way.

jchoong

Reaction score
Manage to root it but gt ! when reboot.Anyway nvm
Now would like to flash a custom rom such as

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1403044

but theres a XWKL1. What i meant? Is it compatible with DXKL3(current ver) or do i need to flash XWKL1 1st ?
confused.gif

If you are already rooted, flash this KL1 firmware which is 2.3.6 based. After that if you don't like the modem, you can flash the one that you like.

LordDo0m

Reaction score
I normally put the modem/baseband file in a separate folder and copy the odin app into this folder too. Then I run odin from this folder, select the modem file under the Phone tab.

Actually nowadays I flash my modems using Mobile Odin which you can get from Market. Easier this way.

hmm, if i have PDA:XXKL3 PHONE: XXKL1 and i download a firmware package with PDA:XXKG5 PHONE: XXKG5, and i flash it via the PDA tab on odin, i shld hav build version XXKG5 and the KG5 modem rite? BUT if i flash the package via PHONE tab, do i get to retain my PDA:XXKL3, but have KG5 modem instead?

hope u understand wad im trying to ask :o

happily1986

Reaction score
hmm, if i have PDA:XXKL3 PHONE: XXKL1 and i download a firmware package with PDA:XXKG5 PHONE: XXKG5, and i flash it via the PDA tab on odin, i shld hav build version XXKG5 and the KG5 modem rite? BUT if i flash the package via PHONE tab, do i get to retain my PDA:XXKL3, but have KG5 modem instead?

hope u understand wad im trying to ask :o

can, you are just swapping modem. but why do you want to change back to KG5??

LordDo0m

Reaction score
can, you are just swapping modem. but why do you want to change back to KG5??

haha sry KG5 is jus an example :o

ah i see. i was previously confused abt what's the difference between a firmware package and a modem package. so now am i right to assume tat a modem package IS THE SAME as a firmware package, jus tat the difference lies in whether i use PDA tab to flash the entire firmware (Build + Modem) and PHONE tab to jus flash the modem only? thx! :)

happily1986

Reaction score
haha sry KG5 is jus an example :o

ah i see. i was previously confused abt what's the difference between a firmware package and a modem package. so now am i right to assume tat a modem package IS THE SAME as a firmware package, jus tat the difference lies in whether i use PDA tab to flash the entire firmware (Build + Modem) and PHONE tab to jus flash the modem only? thx! :)

When people refer to firmware, they are also referring to a stock ROM which consists of

1.) PDA
2.) PHONE
3.) CSC

All are tar files or linux fellas like to call them tarballs. The "modem" is just #2 in the list. Meaning you just flash #2.

LordDo0m

Reaction score
When people refer to firmware, they are also referring to a stock ROM which consists of

1.) PDA
2.) PHONE
3.) CSC

All are tar files or linux fellas like to call them tarballs. The "modem" is just #2 in the list. Meaning you just flash #2.

yes, I do get wad ur saying, but wad I'm trying to say is tat when I dl a rom, its like 1 big package rite? so, if i just wan to flash the PHONE (#2) only, can I just put the whole big package (the rom) into the PHONE tab of Odin and it will just flash the "modem" part without changin the PDA or CSC? or do I have to extract the #2 part out of the big package before flashing? cuz after I updated to the kl3 build, batt life is kinda bad, so I wanna reflash another build but keep the kl3 modem.

happily1986

Reaction score
yes, I do get wad ur saying, but wad I'm trying to say is tat when I dl a rom, its like 1 big package rite? so, if i just wan to flash the PHONE (#2) only, can I just put the whole big package (the rom) into the PHONE tab of Odin and it will just flash the "modem" part without changin the PDA or CSC?
No. ODIN will fail to flash and you might even softbrick your phone.

or do I have to extract the #2 part out of the big package before flashing? cuz after I updated to the kl3 build, batt life is kinda bad, so I wanna reflash another build but keep the kl3 modem.

you don't have to do that. there are people who already extracted just the modem aka the PHONE tar file for you. As a matter of fact, there are nice folks who have already created flashable zips of the modem files too. Refer to xda forums under Original Android Development to find that thread.

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im on the cyanogen 7 latest nightly build + siyah 2.6.6 kernel. any idea which baseband modem version should I use? m1 user here.

The 1 im on right now is KI4

gorillaCF

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think all asia region phones should try to use DXKL1. latest modem i think for the asia region.

working great for me in singtel.

LordDo0m

Reaction score
No. ODIN will fail to flash and you might even softbrick your phone.

you don't have to do that. there are people who already extracted just the modem aka the PHONE tar file for you. As a matter of fact, there are nice folks who have already created flashable zips of the modem files too. Refer to xda forums under Original Android Development to find that thread.

ah ok got it. sry another qn for u. i dl-ed 3diff KL3 PHONE .tar packages, and they all have different files inside them.

the 1st .tar file inside contains the files:
1)META-INF
2)flash_image
3)modem.bin

the 2nd .tar file inside contains the files:
1)META-INF
2)modem.bin

the last .tar file inside contains the files:
1)modem.bin

why the difference in files in all 3 packages? are they all safe to flash so long as they hav the modem.bin in them?

happily1986

Reaction score
I have no idea where you sourced those from. I only trust either samfirmware or xda forums.

1.) If you want the firmware meaning PDA + PHONE. go here
xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KG, KH, KI, KJ1/2/3, KK1/2/5, KL1/3 Download

2.) If you want just the DXKL1 modem go here
xda-developers - View Single Post - [REF] Galaxy S 2 Shipped Modem Collection

3.) If you want just the DXKL1 modem but wish to flash through CWM, go here
xda-developers - View Single Post - [REF] Galaxy S 2 Shipped Modem Collection

Like i mentioned, people already have prepared for you the individual modem files, i don't understand why you insist on dissecting the firmware packages to extract the modem. If you do not perform a proper md5 checksum on the modem file which you then extract, your phone will fail to flash. So be good, just use whatever files i have provided on these 3 links, whichever floats your boat.

LordDo0m

Reaction score
oh, u got me wrong. of course i dont intend to go ard and dissect files prepared by people with much better knowledge than me, its jus tat after downloading those packages (i got them all frm xda too), i was curious so i open the .tar file to take a look to see wad files are inside and nth more. tat is also why i was confused as to why the files inside each package is different, even though they were all supposed to be the same modem package. nonetheless, im thankful and appreciate the time u took to help a troublesome newbie like me. many thanks! :)

rantwb

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I am on stock firmware (KI2) and rooted sometime back. Latest update from KIES today shows the following:
PDA:KL3
PHONE:KL1
CSC:KL2
(MM1)
If I go ahead with this update, what happens to my phone?
From what I read before, installed Apps are not affected, but what about native Apps like Internet, Dialer, Messaging and Contacts, etc? Do they get updated?
For frozen programs, do I have to defrost before the update?
What about the rooting, do I have to root again?

Apologies if it sounds noobish.

happily1986

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I am on stock firmware (KI2) and rooted sometime back. Latest update from KIES today shows the following:
PDA:KL3
PHONE:KL1
CSC:KL2
(MM1)
If I go ahead with this update, what happens to my phone?
From what I read before, installed Apps are not affected, but what about native Apps like Internet, Dialer, Messaging and Contacts, etc? Do they get updated?
For frozen programs, do I have to defrost before the update?
What about the rooting, do I have to root again?

Apologies if it sounds noobish.

root will be lost.

to be safe defrost everything that you have frozen in TBP before proceeding

typical samsung apps e.g. AllShare and those samsung related apps will be updated.

Your operator related bloatware will also be updated as CSC package is updated as well.

rantwb

Reaction score
root will be lost.

to be safe defrost everything that you have frozen in TBP before proceeding

typical samsung apps e.g. AllShare and those samsung related apps will be updated.

Your operator related bloatware will also be updated as CSC package is updated as well.

Thanks! It helps alot!

Remember reading somewhere that the alternative to this method of updating is to get the CF-Root from XDA and install the new version using the pre-installed CWM.

But, is that any different from the firmware from KIES? Samsung APPS do not get updated using CF-Root?

FORGET WHAT I ASKED, just read that CF-Root is a modified kernel. Need the correct firmware as base, before installing the modified kernel for rooting.

Last edited:

happily1986

Reaction score
Thanks! It helps alot!

Remember reading somewhere that the alternative to this method of updating is to get the CF-Root from XDA and install the new version using the pre-installed CWM.

But, is that any different from the firmware from KIES? Samsung APPS do not get updated using CF-Root?

FORGET WHAT I ASKED, just read that CF-Root is a modified kernel. Need the correct firmware as base, before installing the modified kernel for rooting.

confirmed.

Just flash and then you flash CF Root (get the correct one). CF Root will give you root, CWM and ROM Mgr.

human_shieldz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone updated? Is it 2.3.4 or above? Mine is root and i can't live without root lol so don't wanna update as yet.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.