HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Samsung Note 9 Screen Discoloration and Black Lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #1

Samsung Note 9 Screen Discoloration and Black Lines

Hi all,

Anyone else encounter their Note series screen having discoloration and a lot of black lines?

I got mine after the march update, which cause overheating when playing games, and after which my screen become quite bad. After searching through the internet, seems a lot of user of note 9 gotten this issue. There is a telegram group https://t.me/samsungDisplayProblem which have some solution, but its not permanent.

I have email to Samsung, but they do not acknowledge the problem lies in their update, and say that it is wear and tear. And since its out of warranty, changing it will cost 350. Surprising, when i mention about my screen problem, they immediately say that the LCD and battery will be changed. So seems that it is a common problem they got in their service center.

Anyone have done their repair outside? Any reliable shop to recommend?
Jest101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Hi all,

Anyone else encounter their Note series screen having discoloration and a lot of black lines?

I got mine after the march update, which cause overheating when playing games, and after which my screen become quite bad. After searching through the internet, seems a lot of user of note 9 gotten this issue. There is a telegram group https://t.me/samsungDisplayProblem which have some solution, but its not permanent.

I have email to Samsung, but they do not acknowledge the problem lies in their update, and say that it is wear and tear. And since its out of warranty, changing it will cost 350. Surprising, when i mention about my screen problem, they immediately say that the LCD and battery will be changed. So seems that it is a common problem they got in their service center.

Hello, for screen replacement issues, it will come with a new front panel assembly which consists of the screen, a new battery, adhesive to the assembly and an aluminum frame. Could you perhaps let us know what solutions have been tried out on your end?

One solution to root out OS issues might be to use ODIN to re-flash the Mar 2020 rom. Other experienced gurus will be better able to assist you if ROMs can be downgraded.

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by Intrinion; 15-06-2020 at 06:49 PM..
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

What a joke. So many complained and Samsung refuse to admit. Note 9 now, two years later will be Note 10 and S20.
rabbit1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mine got no issue
Still running android 9

Hi all,

Old 16-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

yeah, best if you don't update. seems the problem start to surface after the march 2020 update.
Old 16-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #6

from the telegram group, there are user that have tried to flash to other ROMs, do an update to the latest samsung update, hard reset the phone... all no use. seems the overheating affect the LCD physically. only way is to change the LCD. but there is also no guarantee that it will not happen again with future update

Hello, for screen replacement issues, it will come with a new front panel assembly which consists of the screen, a new battery, adhesive to the assembly and an aluminum frame. Could you perhaps let us know what solutions have been tried out on your end?

One solution to root out OS issues might be to use ODIN to re-flash the Mar 2020 rom. Other experienced gurus will be better able to assist you if ROMs can be downgraded.
Old 16-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #7

from the telegram group, there are user that have tried to flash to other ROMs, do an update to the latest samsung update, hard reset the phone... all no use. seems the overheating affect the LCD physically. only way is to change the LCD. but there is also no guarantee that it will not happen again with future update
Assuming it is related to this?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ation-t4083389

Some users have suggested that OLED saver might be a solution.
Have you tired this out?

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Old 16-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #8

yeah, am using OLED saver, but the black color is wash out, it adjust the brightness to 200%. some user have started to experience screen burn out from using the apps... so this is not a long term solution. even with the apps, still can see the black lines fadely

Assuming it is related to this?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...ation-t4083389

Some users have suggested that OLED saver might be a solution.
Have you tired this out?
Old 17-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

yeah, am using OLED saver, but the black color is wash out, it adjust the brightness to 200%. some user have started to experience screen burn out from using the apps... so this is not a long term solution. even with the apps, still can see the black lines fadely
That is bad. Seems like a software issue that caused a hardware malfunction.
Hop ship soon?

Old 17-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #10

hope to get a cheaper repair outside so can use another 2 years... extend the ROI. after that hop ship... samsung price going up but quality seems going down

That is bad. Seems like a software issue that caused a hardware malfunction.
Hop ship soon?
Old 17-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #11

hope to get a cheaper repair outside so can use another 2 years... extend the ROI. after that hop ship... samsung price going up but quality seems going down
Think the prices are around ~ the range.

Moreever, you get a new bezel, screen and battery when you do it at Samsung. Guaranteed for 3 months. It is questionable what mobile phone shops do - probably they pry the battery out of its adhesive frame and reapply tape.

However, if the problem is in fact firmware, then the issue may repeat itself.

Old 17-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

Hi all,

someone got it replaced for free after escalating it.
shld hoot samsung until they agree to repair it. i know there's a lot of Samsung fan boys here who say samsung dont owe anyone anything, but their software updates dmg the screen and they shld fix it foc.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/s...89566-488.html
rabbit1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #13

someone got it replaced for free after escalating it.
shld hoot samsung until they agree to repair it. i know there's a lot of Samsung fan boys here who say samsung dont owe anyone anything, but their software updates dmg the screen and they shld fix it foc.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/s...89566-488.html
@Thread starter

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.