HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Samsung Pay for transit (Tap and Go)

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #151

The trial for Samsung abt pilot trial on mastercard for tra sit is now ended.

I would say in the near future when this is rolled out, more people will tend to use it if the response time for the reader is improved..
u mean mobile ABT ended and can't be used anymore? all our virtual numbers are removed?
Old 13-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #152
Master Member

u mean mobile ABT ended and can't be used anymore? all our virtual numbers are removed?
No He means our internal trial with Samsung Pay's Tap and Go feature has ended.
deathst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #153

I wanted to try the MST payment somewhere and the merchant told me cannot, the transaction code will be different and they won't be able to get the money even if it gets through. How true is it?
PongRareRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #154
Master Member

I wanted to try the MST payment somewhere and the merchant told me cannot, the transaction code will be different and they won't be able to get the money even if it gets through. How true is it?
Sounds incredibly fake.
How can a transaction go through on the banks end and not get money? I Guess they don’t want to wait for the banks processing the transfer of money which takes a few days and want the money instantly.

Last edited by deathst; 16-06-2018 at 10:54 AM..
Old 16-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #155
Arch-Supremacy Member

like what deathst mentioned, you literally been misled by the merchant intentionally..

I would have reported the merchant to MAS for disciplinary action taken against it.
Old 16-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #156

Haha I realised I posted in the wrong Samsung pay thread. This is for transit, sorry.
Anyway, a lot of merchants don't even want to try. I think they scared something goes wrong. Can't possibly keep insisting since there will be queue. I always give up.
PongRareRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #157
Arch-Supremacy Member

I always manage to convince the merchants.. 😂

Haha I realised I posted in the wrong Samsung pay thread. This is for transit, sorry.
Anyway, a lot of merchants don't even want to try. I think they scared something goes wrong. Can't possibly keep insisting since there will be queue. I always give up.
Old 21-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #158

For those who tried Samsung Pay transit tap & go, why is it so much worse compared to the Samsung ez-link SIM? doesn't it use the same NFC sensor?

It might mean that the problem is the gantry reader side...
TheAlphaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #159
Arch-Supremacy Member

For those who tried Samsung Pay transit tap & go, why is it so much worse compared to the Samsung ez-link SIM? doesn't it use the same NFC sensor?

It might mean that the problem is the gantry reader side...
NFC ezlink sim card is not powered by samsung, samsung only merely give you a platform to see transactions and show balance only. without samsung pay, it still will work.

tap & go transit app has some teething issues with the gantries, but its not entirely unusable.

I have been using it since the day its available for beta and i have not looked back. Some times there might be an error while some times it don't..
Old 22-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #160

NFC ezlink sim card is not powered by samsung, samsung only merely give you a platform to see transactions and show balance only. without samsung pay, it still will work.

tap & go transit app has some teething issues with the gantries, but its not entirely unusable.

I have been using it since the day its available for beta and i have not looked back. Some times there might be an error while some times it don't..
Yeah but NFC ez-link still use the same NFC sensor what... On the apple forum most people say there is optimal distance to reader or position to place phone or watch, but never hear about such issue with NFC ez link
Old 22-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #161
Master Member

Yeah but NFC ez-link still use the same NFC sensor what... On the apple forum most people say there is optimal distance to reader or position to place phone or watch, but never hear about such issue with NFC ez link
NFC EZ-Link has a very very small adoption rate. Primarily due to the upfront payment just for that sim card which you can buy 3 different ez-link cards with a total of 15 dollar usable value at 7-11 OR 3 EZ-link cards with 21 dollar usable value.

So yeah that service and cost only will get people to tell them to fly kite. Even within Samsung Connections, a very tech savvy group. There are only like 1-2 people with it out of the whole lot.

Only the mad and crazy will get those NFC-EZlink sim cards. Low adoption = low amount of noise

Okay on to the real point now.
NFC comes in many many bands and tag types. But what little people know is that EZ-Link actually uses RFID at a Frequency of 13.56 MHz. Now why EZ-Link works so well is cause it uses the Reader's electromagnetic energy to be powered up to a distance of 10 cm. (You can say that they made it as powerful as it can be so they can be picked up quickly) Look at this band and how large it actually covers.

So now with the introduction of NFC, they have to port their RFID readers to capture NFC. They may operate at the same bands but NFC there are things more complicated than just flicking a switch.

NFC on our phones are not designed for such distances. (4cm) Phones do not have land power to give such a powerful signal. When it picks up the reader's signal it will go into a payment mode like Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay. Only then our devices will broadcast the required NFC data. (Latency)
Old 22-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #162

Even NFC EZLink SIM Card has those issue. Entry mismatch error is common for me in MRT.
ascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #163

Thanks for the great explanation deathst!
Old 23-06-2018, 01:54 AM   #164
Arch-Supremacy Member

Your sim card might be faulty. I have ditched nfc sim long time ago, since the physical sim itself has limited lifespan, more limited than traditional sim..

Even NFC EZLink SIM Card has those issue. Entry mismatch error is common for me in MRT.
Old 23-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #165

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/hands-free-fare-gates-being-tried-out-at-four-mrt-stations?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#Echobox=1529656482

Maybe moving forward with Samsung pay, no need to tap le.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
earthtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.