HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

MSc Applied Economics (SMU) vs MSocialSc in Applied Economics (NUS)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

MSc Applied Economics (SMU) vs MSocialSc in Applied Economics (NUS)

I'm leaning toward NUS for the seemingly more rigorous courses. However it is one hour away from City Hall! SMU campus is really convenient (5 min walk from my work place), but their economics courses look less rigorous. Not sure if they are equally recognized. I believe SMU has an abundance of industry contacts which I believe would be helpful for a future placement. Argh!!!! What would you do? Which would you choose?
winstonia_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Banned

I'm leaning toward NUS for the seemingly more rigorous courses. However it is one hour away from City Hall! SMU campus is really convenient (5 min walk from my work place), but their economics courses look less rigorous. Not sure if they are equally recognized. I believe SMU has an abundance of industry contacts which I believe would be helpful for a future placement. Argh!!!! What would you do? Which would you choose?
SMU campus is nice IMO compared to NUS. The gym looks cool. FASS in NUS is boring and dead (especially the ground level where smokers used to hang out. Anyway, I think NUS removed the tables already)
maisatomai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

the decision is simple.
You want to take GMAT or not?
If no, NUS is your only choice or NTU.

i have a master in applied econs from NUS btw.

Last edited by final1; 11-05-2012 at 11:06 AM..
final1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

u lugi already. U should have joined MSocialSc in Applied Economics (NUS) 2 yrs ago because that time the course fee was very cheap, costs abt the same as eng/comp master. Now they pegged the price to finance master
vbhelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

the decision is simple.

Good to see a former alumni here! How did you find the course? Did you manage to network with senior managers from the fund/banking/ public research sectors? Do you feel that it's money well spent?
Old 28-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

u lugi already. U should have joined MSocialSc in Applied Economics (NUS) 2 yrs ago because that time the course fee was very cheap, costs abt the same as eng/comp master. Now they pegged the price to finance master
damn...

pcw +1
Old 29-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #7

Good to see a former alumni here! How did you find the course? Did you manage to network with senior managers from the fund/banking/ public research sectors? Do you feel that it's money well spent?
How did I find the NUS course?
- Good. This course is well-suited for part-timers like me.

Did you manage to network with senior managers from the fund/banking/ public research sectors?
- this is an economics masters with an applied orientation. You attend the lectures. Take the exam. Pass 10 modules. Get the Masters degree. Then fuc* off. Research paper is optional.
- if you want really rigorous economics, please don't take master in applied economics. Please take NUS Deartment of Econ's Master of Social Sciences (Research).
- When you say rigorous, i am assuming you mean hardcore economic theory that involves pure and abstract mathematics.
- if you want to network with the other people in the class (who will be a mixture of full-time and part-time) who are from various industries, you are certainly welcome to and you certainly are able to. The university does arrange talks, career fairs all the time. So, you can attend those. For me personally, I am a family man and i already have a good job, so i don't have the time nor the need for networking in school. I did that in my younger days. I attend the lecture (6:30pm to 9:30pm) and then head home to be with my family.

Do you feel that it's money well spent?
- Yes, well-spent for my applied economics masters. But my fees were the old fees. Now its been revised to $28,000 which is the same or close to NTU/SMU.
- Please note that fees for the Masters by research are typically free and you get a stipend (assuming you get in). Though this is mostly a full-time course i think.

Last edited by final1; 29-05-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Old 29-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #8

is there any real economic benefit in taking these courses?

does it translate to better job prospects?
Penance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #9

Ans: that depends

Ans: that depends
Old 30-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #10

Thank final1. That's a great piece of advice. Btw would u happen to have textbooks that u may be letting go? Perhaps I can buy them from you

Thanks.
Old 30-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #11

How did I find the NUS course?
- Good. This course is well-suited for part-timers like me.

Did you manage to network with senior managers from the fund/banking/ public research sectors?
- this is an economics masters with an applied orientation. You attend the lectures. Take the exam. Pass 10 modules. Get the Masters degree. Then fuc* off. Research paper is optional.
- if you want really rigorous economics, please don't take master in applied economics. Please take NUS Deartment of Econ's Master of Social Sciences (Research).
- When you say rigorous, i am assuming you mean hardcore economic theory that involves pure and abstract mathematics.
- if you want to network with the other people in the class (who will be a mixture of full-time and part-time) who are from various industries, you are certainly welcome to and you certainly are able to. The university does arrange talks, career fairs all the time. So, you can attend those. For me personally, I am a family man and i already have a good job, so i don't have the time nor the need for networking in school. I did that in my younger days. I attend the lecture (6:30pm to 9:30pm) and then head home to be with my family.

Do you feel that it's money well spent?
- Yes, well-spent for my applied economics masters. But my fees were the old fees. Now its been revised to $28,000 which is the same or close to NTU/SMU.
- Please note that fees for the Masters by research are typically free and you get a stipend (assuming you get in). Though this is mostly a full-time course i think.

u cld help pple more if u elaborate on y u feel it's money well spent
Penance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Thank final1. That's a great piece of advice. Btw would u happen to have textbooks that u may be letting go? Perhaps I can buy them from you

Thanks.
Thanks for the offer but i keep my textbooks for reference.

Anyway, if you do the course, you will typically require the latest edition of the textbook being used.
Old 19-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #13

Anyone going for SMU's MAE info session tonight?
zihern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #14

Regarding NUS Applied Economics

the decision is simple.

Hi,
This is to seek your advice regarding joining NUS for masters.
I am Ritika from India. I have got an offer from NUS for Master of Applied economics for this August session. If its okay, could you guide me about the school? As in, how good is the degree and what are the job prospects after the course. Moreover, for how much time is the visa given once the program is over?
And I have received offer from University of Melbourne as well. So I am very confused at this moment.
I would be really thankful if you could help.
vivacious_rits is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.