Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SMU IS

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By khozh_91
  • 2 Post By sm4ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

SMU IS

Hey guys, I would like to ask what does one usually study in IS? And is it a really demanding course for someone who doesn't have any background in IT? Thanks!
vampure likes this.
khozh_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hey guys, I would like to ask what does one usually study in IS? And is it a really demanding course for someone who doesn't have any background in IT? Thanks!
Had just graduated from IS
If you dont have background, dont worry, but you have to try very hard.
During first year, fundamental java module , around 15 -20 or more students will fail. People who have gotten 49.xx marks also considered fail
Then have to wait one more year as that module is provided once every year. You will be one year slower than your peers (you will have to take with the 2014 batch student next year) because if you fail the fundamental java, you cant take Object oriented which is the part two of java. Then moving on to Object Oriented Module, again, around 15-20 ppl will fail.

During my time, if your lab test cannot compile, meaning got syntax error, 50% of your marks will be gone. Lab test constitute around 30% of your overall module score. So people will be getting like 3/30, for those who did well, they will get full marks.

Last edited by dede1217; 23-05-2013 at 01:13 PM..
dede1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Had just graduated from IS
If you dont have background, dont worry, but you have to try very hard.
During first year, fundamental java module , around 15 -20 or more students will fail. People who have gotten 49.xx marks also considered fail
Then have to wait one more year as that module is provided once every year. You will be one year slower than your peers (you will have to take with the 2014 batch student next year) because if you fail the fundamental java, you cant take Object oriented which is the part two of java. Then moving on to Object Oriented Module, again, around 15-20 ppl will fail.

During my time, if your lab test cannot compile, meaning got syntax error, 50% of your marks will be gone. Lab test constitute around 30% of your overall module score. So people will be getting like 3/30, for those who did well, they will get full marks.
the last batch (i.e. 2012/2013) had a special term 2 class and summer class created for them to catch up with their peers in their year 2. but then again, it also depends on the number of failures for the batch.

The will to win.
brokenshardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

anyone care to share roughly wad will be taught in IS?
i looked at the Curriculum Detail but i don't quite understand.
Also want to find out roughly how many modules do you have to take each semester and how the workload is like.

Last edited by JinYuan; 21-02-2014 at 11:20 AM..
JinYuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

2 cents from a SMU SIS senior

Hey JiaYuan,

Usually IS people do 4-5 modules per semester depending on the individual. As for workload wise, you will find that it is most certainly heavier than your peers from other faculties, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? That's why IS graduates are in high demand in the industry XD

The curriculum details are listed quite comprehensive on the school website,
but if you are still unsure, SMU having an open house this weekend,
be sure to drop by and there will be Professors, existing students around to have your questions answered (:
JinYuan and vampure like this.
sm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

If you need any information regarding SIS, please pm me. I will try my best to help you.
bryant_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

Hi, I just got accepted into smu sis and I know smu classes are conducted the seminar way. I heard that you have to speak up every single lesson and the professor will tick your name or smth? Is that true? Wouldn't that kill the spirit of learning if people are speaking up for the sake of just talking...?
panotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

Hi, I just got accepted into smu sis and I know smu classes are conducted the seminar way. I heard that you have to speak up every single lesson and the professor will tick your name or smth? Is that true? Wouldn't that kill the spirit of learning if people are speaking up for the sake of just talking...?
Lol, class part is important that all I can say.
It is about 10-20% of your total grades. And normally is either the ta mark it or you have good impression in the eye of prof to give u good mark. Be proactive can alr.
evilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.