SMU Freshman

arsenal92

Reaction score
i just got an offer from SMU SOE and wondering to expedite my future studies in SMU. For current SMU SOE student, is it possible to finish the program within 3 yrs?

frayed

Reaction score
i just got an offer from SMU SOE and wondering to expedite my future studies in SMU. For current SMU SOE student, is it possible to finish the program within 3 yrs?

yes. but very painful. you basically have to choose between finishing fast and having enough time to ensure that you get good grades. friend who attended at the same time as me did his double major degree in 3 years. basically a super full course load every semester, but he was super smart and efficient - he finished with second upper or first class honours (the smu equivalent).

also possible to do 2.5 years if you load up on summer classes (and pay for those). a senior of mine did this.

note: i'm not a current student, but an alumni.

arsenal92

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. How many subjects can student take during the summer term? How's your experiences being an SMU student?

frayed

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. How many subjects can student take during the summer term? How's your experiences being an SMU student?

paiseh. didn't see your reply.

there are two summer terms, terms 3a and 3b. usually people only take at most one per summer term, since it is very difficult to find classes where the timings do not clash - after all, the summer classes are compressed, so you usually have classes 4 times a week. not to mention you have to find classes that you want to take and can fit into your degree requirements. not easy.

i took two classes in summer in my undergrad years in smu - both in term 3a, in my first and second years. also, you have to take an internship, so you probably cannot take summer all the time unless you manage to find some weird internship whereby you do like say 4 hours a week throughout your regular term - possible but very uncommon.

experiences as an smu soe student - just search the forum and the edmw forum. plenty of opinions there on the smu experience. you might also want to check out the brightsparks (spelling? not sure) forum. my smu soe experience is very different from the current smu, soe or not.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.