HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

ONE is here. XZ1, XZ1 Compact, X1.

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #16

Xperia XZ.. Xperia XZs.. Xperia XZ Premium and now.. Xperia XZ1.. this is confusing sia their naming system..
"s" has always been the stop gap solution, follow apple, as a form of refresh model.

Premium of cos is... sony top of the line model.

XZ - normal.
XZs - refresh normal.
XZ premium - top of the line.
XZ compact - smaller version of normal.

Then the next major refresh will be 1.

XZ1 - normal.
XZ1 premium.
XZ1 compact.

Then the next major refresh will be 2.

XZ2 - normal.
XZ2 premium.
XZ2 compact.

How is this confusing??
~Dragonite~ likes this.

ragnarok95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

"s" has always been the stop gap solution, follow apple, as a form of refresh model.

XZ - normal.
XZs - refresh normal.

XZ1 - normal.
XZ1 premium.
XZ1 compact.

XZ2 - normal.
XZ2 premium.
XZ2 compact.

How is this confusing??
Some people prefer the fruity brand, to have only a few phones to buy.

Fruity S size
Fruity M size
Fruity L size
~Dragonite~ likes this.
rssd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

XZ - normal.
XZs - refresh normal.

XZ1 - normal.
XZ1 premium.
XZ1 compact.

XZ2 - normal.
XZ2 premium.
XZ2 compact.

How is this confusing??
Yeah, Sony has a rather streamlined lineup which is easily recognizable IMO.

~Dragonite~ likes this.
amazingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sony's lineup is indeed streamlined. I guess the reason why it feels confusing is that other manufacturers has traditionally an annual refresh cycle, Sony has a much shorter product cycle. Consumers end up hearing about a new flagship when they haven't even warmed up to the predecessor.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
Supremacy Member

Sony's lineup is indeed streamlined. I guess the reason why it feels confusing is that other manufacturers has traditionally an annual refresh cycle, Sony has a much shorter product cycle. Consumers end up hearing about a new flagship when they haven't even warmed up to the predecessor.
You should be referring to the dual or triple flagship strategy by Sony.

And it is not directly related to the product life cycle, where Sony has good record of firmware updates.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

You should be referring to the dual or triple flagship strategy by Sony.

And it is not directly related to the product life cycle, where Sony has good record of firmware updates.
Huh...what are you talking about ? Nobody is talking about firmware updates. It is apparent that Sony releases new products faster than other manufacturers hence they could potentially confuse consumers who aren't keeping updated.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #22
Supremacy Member

Huh...what are you talking about ? Nobody is talking about firmware updates. It is apparent that Sony releases new products faster than other manufacturers hence they could potentially confuse consumers who aren't keeping updated.
Sony does not intend to release a phone for sale in the market for only a few months.
They do have two or three flagships in the same year, but that does not mean older phone stops production or selling.

Nowadays it is common to sell new and old products together.
People are still buying the older PS4 despite the new PS4 pro and slim are available now.

Sony does release premium phones twice yearly, but consumers can do a simple Google to find out easily.
We are no longer living in the age of only TVs and newspapers.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #23

Spend the xtra money and got for XZs man, dont settle for less.
Me no like large sized phones leh...

How long do you plan to hold on the phone ?
If you are serial upgrader, you can buy and get the next gen 6 months later at a cheaper price. Sony has a very short product life cycle for their Xperia lineup.
I think OP is those who only upgrade phone every two years, similar to those telco contract term.

By the way, it is not Sony phones that have short product life cycle.
They do support and update their phones more than most other phone makers.

They only introduce more premium or flagship phones in a year, and the older model gets price reduction faster.

Similar to many Android phones, buying the phone after a few months of its release is a lot cheaper.
That's right, I'm not a serial upgrader. I follow the telco's contract term.
On the software size, the Z3C is also not going to get Nougat, plus I got it like 8 months after its release. So in a sense, I "lost" about 8 months of software support; I hope to get my next phone on release date this time.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

Me no like large sized phones leh...

That's right, I'm not a serial upgrader. I follow the telco's contract term.
On the software size, the Z3C is also not going to get Nougat, plus I got it like 8 months after its release. So in a sense, I "lost" about 8 months of software support; I hope to get my next phone on release date this time.
I understand your feelings, since my previous Z3 also did not get nougat which the blame was put on the chip maker.

I would have expect Sony to at least push some Android security updates even though it is stuck on marshmallows.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sony does not intend to release a phone for sale in the market for only a few months.
They do have two or three flagships in the same year, but that does not mean older phone stops production or selling.

Nowadays it is common to sell new and old products together.
People are still buying the older PS4 despite the new PS4 pro and slim are available now.

Sony does release premium phones twice yearly, but consumers can do a simple Google to find out easily.
We are no longer living in the age of only TVs and newspapers.
Again...I never mention anything about Sony selling phones for only a few months. It is true that within a normal calendar year Sony has more than 1 flagship device and to some people it IS confusing. Not everyone keeps up to date on such stuff. And don't need to be so defensive about "protecting" the Sony brand. It isn't necessary a bad thing as some certain users prefer to have new options without waiting for the yearly "refreshes"

This is the last post I will make on this subject as this clearly isn't going to be "neutral" discussion.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by xonix; 09-06-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

Again...I never mention anything about Sony selling phones for only a few months. It is true that within a normal calendar year Sony has more than 1 flagship device and to some people it IS confusing. Not everyone keeps up to date on such stuff. And don't need to be so defensive about "protecting" the Sony brand. It isn't necessary a bad thing as some certain users prefer to have new options without waiting for the yearly "refreshes"

This is the last post I will make on this subject as this closely isn't going to be "neutral" discussion.
You got it wrong again.

I agreed with you that it can be confusing for some, but some people can do simple research nowadays using Google.

I pointed out that Sony had more than one flagship phone in a year, where is that defensive tone?

I never say it is either a good or bad idea for Sony's strategy.
You simply shown that you are unhappy about their decision.

All along I just wanted to discuss about how product life cycle has been different from past concepts.

Cheers
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #27
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sony (or any other phone brand) shouldn't launch more than 1 flagship within a year i feel..
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #28

Some people prefer the fruity brand, to have only a few phones to buy.

Fruity S size
Fruity M size
Fruity L size
Indeed.. They complain Android phone got too many models to choose.

Apple should start manufacturing cars. Those iSheep with tiny brain can choose from one or 2 Apple car model only. Easy for them..
~Dragonite~ likes this.
OutBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #29

Saw on YouTube some rumored images of xz1.. Those bezeless phones really look super nice... I hope they are true n release in mid next year, at least I can use my xzs for a year before changing
~Dragonite~ likes this.
sunnycrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #30
High Supremacy Member

XZ1 Compact?

Comes with Android 8.0
~Dragonite~ likes this.
amazingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.