Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Help] Issues with FX CFD Provider!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Greater Supremacy Member

[Help] Issues with FX CFD Provider!

Was trading with one of the brokers and these happened:

-My open positions which were at an overall loss were forced closed due to technical error on their platform not due to insufficient margin whatsoever
- The loss was realized, initially, the losses came up to be 6 figures erroneously
- There was no communication from them when such outage occurred leaving me distressed (seeing 6 figures losses and entire account wiped out)
- During the outage, I couldn't trade at all and the market would have moved during the disruption
- After that, positions were reopened and I was puzzled on new positions opened. Before that, there was a complete blank on the platform because my positions were liquidated. I was confused and did not know what to do (should I trade normally or wait for further advice from the broker?)
- The broker later clarified that due to a technical error, they eventually rectified the mistakes and reopened the positions at the same price at the point when they were closed. Losses were adjusted to the actual amount

The broker told me it is materially the same had the positions were to left open versus it was liquidated.

Please advise the recourse.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why not just name the FX provider?

Maybe someone can advise further.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

Is this due to the tightening of fx trading margin requirements to 20:1, as prescribed by MAS?
tsipacse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Greater Supremacy Member

Why not just name the FX provider?

Maybe someone can advise further.
at this point, I don't want to reveal their identity yet. Hoping the dispute can be settled satisfactorily.

Last edited by strangerjun; 05-10-2019 at 05:47 PM..
strangerjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Greater Supremacy Member

Is this due to the tightening of fx trading margin requirements to 20:1, as prescribed by MAS?
8 Oct then kick in

Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

8 Oct then kick in

7 oct......
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #7

Was trading with one of the brokers and these happened:

-My open positions which were at an overall loss were forced closed due to technical error on their platform not due to insufficient margin whatsoever
- The loss was realized, initially, the losses came up to be 6 figures erroneously
- There was no communication from them when such outage occurred leaving me distressed (seeing 6 figures losses and entire account wiped out)
- During the outage, I couldn't trade at all and the market would have moved during the disruption
- After that, positions were reopened and I was puzzled on new positions opened. Before that, there was a complete blank on the platform because my positions were liquidated. I was confused and did not know what to do (should I trade normally or wait for further advice from the broker?)
- The broker later clarified that due to a technical error, they eventually rectified the mistakes and reopened the positions at the same price at the point when they were closed. Losses were adjusted to the actual amount

The broker told me it is materially the same had the positions were to left open versus it was liquidated.

Please advise the recourse.

I would think that the opening docs you signed would have covered platform outage problems and you would have little recourse

Were you intending to close your positions during that outage period and therefore missed a profit opportunity?

Just change provider - no reason to continue to give them business. Sueing would result in more grief and legal cost without a guarantee of results.
DukeCS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
Greater Supremacy Member

I would think that the opening docs you signed would have covered platform outage problems and you would have little recourse

Were you intending to close your positions during that outage period and therefore missed a profit opportunity?

Just change provider - no reason to continue to give them business. Sueing would result in more grief and legal cost without a guarantee of results.
I intend to leave them open. But they liquidated the positions and losses were realized. Broker say it is the same. Eg. Buy stock at $1 and market price is 50 cents, I lose 50 cents paper loss versus they close my $1 position, realizing the loss and reopen a new buy position at 50 cents.

I intend to go to fidrec to raise a dispute
Old 05-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Greater Supremacy Member

7 oct......
The incident happened in September.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

I intend to leave them open. But they liquidated the positions and losses were realized. Broker say it is the same. Eg. Buy stock at $1 and market price is 50 cents, I lose 50 cents paper loss versus they close my $1 position, realizing the loss and reopen a new buy position at 50 cents.

I intend to go to fidrec to raise a dispute
What are you going to dispute for if you don't suffer any loss?

Just liquidate your position and move your capital elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ocbc bank?
sanzhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

I assume the market value of your portfolio is the same before and after the error.

In other words, the error had no impact.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

I assume the market value of your portfolio is the same before and after the error.

In other words, the error had no impact.
no impact on value, but have impact on the trader psychologically ..

cos instead of unrealized loss, the positions now may show as a profit instead... thats what he is complaining about
strangerjun likes this.
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #14

Actually I encountered something similar, only one time, got my position report before the inccident, was trading a jpy pair, emailed and showed them that my account did not exceed the margin requirements.

Got a reply on the same day, issue resolved, all positions reverted back. Some times **** happens, but you need to know what you are doing, no half assing it
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #15
Greater Supremacy Member

Actually I encountered something similar, only one time, got my position report before the inccident, was trading a jpy pair, emailed and showed them that my account did not exceed the margin requirements.

Got a reply on the same day, issue resolved, all positions reverted back. Some times **** happens, but you need to know what you are doing, no half assing it
They "reinstated" the position back but at the price when it was closed due to technical fault.

Did they reopen at your opening price or the above?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.