2020 market expectations and positioning

Like Tree1092Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2020, 10:37 PM   #601
High Supremacy Member

Song bo Tesla from 200 to close to 1000 liao ! No wonder Nasdaq keep going up

TSLA is only a small portion of NASDAQ.

There are some other tech stocks that contributing more to the rise.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #602
Supremacy Member

So, the S&P500 has broken through to 3,300 in a rather convincing fashion. Trump has been acquitted. And there are various reports of parties having found a vaccine for Wuhan flu.

I will carry on slowly accumulating and holding. And accumulate faster if there are dips.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #603
High Supremacy Member

seems like even local SG transmission is shrug off by the market...

so irrational

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT
sporegirl likes this.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #604
Supremacy Member

So, the S&P500 has broken through to 3,300 in a rather convincing fashion. Trump has been acquitted. And there are various reports of parties having found a vaccine for Wuhan flu.

I will carry on slowly accumulating and holding. And accumulate faster if there are dips.
Damn, but for a change I was the least bearish among all here and was looking to add. Now no more dip already
Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #605

so irrational

local transmission ≠community spread
Old 06-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #606

Trumpower!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #607

During my years of investment I have learned to respect mother nature and how fragile human beings are when confronted by it. To be completely honest its beyond my capability to evaluate coronavirus's impact in a reliable manner.

Its good that most US companies are generating good results. Though I'm still positive on the economic outlook but I think there is nothing wrong to took profit off the table. Hence I'm cutting 1/2 of all my holdings now when stocks are still hitting record highs, and let those smarter and braver than me the reap the profit from Mr market while I wait at sideline.

Another reason is because at my age I might not have that many decades to wait in case anything like financial crisis happens again.

Cheers and stay safe & healthy
commie_rick likes this.

Last edited by Dyhalt; 06-02-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Old 06-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #608
Arch-Supremacy Member

local transmission ≠community spread
Relatedly,

new virus ≠ long-term impact;
new virus ≠ bad for business;
new virus ≠ particularly deadly virus.

On average, stock market valuations are supposed to reflect current expectations of the net present value of real businesses, which includes long-term value -- and more bias toward long-term value when the discount rate is lower (i.e. market interest rates are lower). Some businesses thrive when there's a new infectious disease, notably many pharmaceutical companies. There's always some bad news in the world, but that doesn't necessarily or often mean bad news for stock valuations.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #609
Supremacy Member

During my years of investment I have learned to respect mother nature and how fragile human beings are when confronted by it. To be completely honest its beyond my capability to evaluate coronavirus's impact in a reliable manner.

Its good that most US companies are generating good results. Though I'm still positive on the economic outlook but I think there is nothing wrong to took profit off the table. Hence I'm cutting 1/2 of all my holdings now when stocks are still hitting record highs, and let those smarter and braver than me the reap the profit from Mr market while I wait at sideline.

Another reason is because at my age I might not have that many decades to wait in case anything like financial crisis happens again.

Cheers and stay safe & healthy
Just curious how old are you and and what is your equity allocation ratio?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #610

so irrational

Have to respect the market.

There is local SG transmission but the narrative from the Government is that there is no community spread and hence life goes on albeit with heightened precautions. I do not think our Govt wants to stroke fear with the various advisory about who needs to wear masks or if the virus is more widespread. Paper cannot wrap fire so if this is more widespread, then everyone will talk about it on social media and right now, there is no wider spread. However, given the nature of the spread in China, it is still worrisome. That said, the market is taking cheer in the various measures by the Chinese to support the market. More importantly, some have been cured from the virus so that gives the hope that Market wants to see.
So I shall trade short term but have an eye on the general spread as I think there would be an economic fallout from supply chain disruption.

I was stopped out of my small short in the SP futures and flipped my position to bullish last night for my indiv stock plays. Momentum plays did not quite follow through in last night's session so I guess the Market has not quite the conviction that it had with many short term players taking quick profits and not carrying thru.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #611

A bit down the road, Tesla will be remembered forever as the poster boy of this mania
Are you shorting tesla?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #612
Supremacy Member

Damn, but for a change I was the least bearish among all here and was looking to add. Now no more dip already

I think there will be more dips in 2020. And I will be surprised if there is no major correction in 2020. So..... just chill.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #613
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think there will be more dips in 2020.
Sure, that's a given. There are dips every day markets are open. But how will you know that a particular dip is "the" dip, and that you are buying at or near its bottom?

And I will be surprised if there is no major correction in 2020.
Or you could be surprised, but even if you aren't surprised, same question: how will you know that a particular correction is "the" correction, and that you are buying at or near its bottom?

Great hypotheses and all, but are they actionable? I'd say no.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #614

What's happening to SGD? fallen a lot against USD in last 1 month or so
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #615
Supremacy Member

Sure, that's a given. There are dips every day markets are open. But how will you know that a particular dip is "the" dip, and that you are buying at or near its bottom?

Or you could be surprised, but even if you aren't surprised, same question: how will you know that a particular correction is "the" correction, and that you are buying at or near its bottom?

Great hypotheses and all, but are they actionable? I'd say no.

I bought some US stocks late last week - so.I did take action and it paid off.

Of course I don't or won't know if that's the lowest - nobody knows - so that's you stating the obvious. I just buy when my favourite stocks reach my comfort zone. I am not aiming for the lowest. My goal is to buy when it.is within my comfort zone.

Same reply regarding your reply to my being surprised. Lol!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.