HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2020 market expectations and positioning

Like Tree1092Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #751
Supremacy Member

Curious. How long have you been buying VHYD and have you been satisfied with the results? Any comparison to VWRA?
I have been regularly investing in WQDV for a few years because dividend ETFs will underweight tech and I'm scared of tech valuations (healthcare is no.1 sector for WQDV), unfortunately it underperformed IWDA in 2019, returning only 22%+ vs IWDA 25%+

I decided this year to start investing in its Vanguard counterpart as well this year.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #752
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any thoughts on Singpost?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #753
Supremacy Member

Any thoughts on Singpost?
from a consumer pov, they are lousy, unreliable and expensive.

lousy and unreliable because there's many cases of lost mail & phantom postman.

expensive because shipping overseas is cheaper using Qxpress and domestic shipping have too much competition from local couriers with better service and lower cost
Old 11-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #754
Supremacy Member

Bought a little DBS today.

apart from revhappy who has bought STI ETF, nobody in this thread buying?
Old 11-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #755

Waiting for my salary 😌
Old 11-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #756
Master Member

Anyone here active in hk market?
Old 12-02-2020, 01:02 AM   #757

Nope ....

I stick to my line

Old 12-02-2020, 01:34 AM   #758
Supremacy Member

Bought Microsoft, Nvidia, Visa, MasterCard

Posted from PCWX using SM-N960F
Old 12-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #759
Master Member

I have been regularly investing in WQDV for a few years because dividend ETFs will underweight tech and I'm scared of tech valuations (healthcare is no.1 sector for WQDV), unfortunately it underperformed IWDA in 2019, returning only 22%+ vs IWDA 25%+

I decided this year to start investing in its Vanguard counterpart as well this year.
Thanks for sharing. I was contemplating the Vanguard equivalent but held off because of performance and higher fees. The ER is not that big a difference, but when you account for dividend withholding tax, VHYD is harder hit because of its higher dividends.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #760

I have a position in MA too and a collared position in Lly.( hit by bad news 2 days ago)
Old 12-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #761
Supremacy Member

good to see other buyers!

added more GSK last nite too!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #762
High Supremacy Member

It is so great to be working. If you notice every year as your networth increases, what was considered as high allocation few years back now becomes small allocation, in percentage terms. So your initial allocation will always become more and more conservative, as years pass by, if you don't allocate more. So we have this natural hedge while we are working. So we should just relax and stop watching the markets and focus on other interesting things. Markets are very addictive, but it is detrimental to our networth. The best returns are made by people who don't even know what is going on in the market.

I wish I can find another hobby and forget about markets.
Very true. Before I started working, I was monitoring the market on a daily basis, traded so often. I think I made some money but it wasn't significant.

Now after working for a couple of years, literally have no time for the markets. Just invest and concentrate on other things - it's less stressful, I tend to make more money actually since I ride out the capital gains (esp. the US stocks).

Like Mike, I run alot too, that takes your mind off things. Cycling works as well!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #763

So much money on the sidelines

Stocks never really drop and keep pumping

Great melt up !
Old 12-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #764
Supremacy Member

There is speculation that Singapore budget will be expansionary to counter the effects of the virus. So this could be the reason why STI is bouyant.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #765
High Supremacy Member

There is speculation that Singapore budget will be expansionary to counter the effects of the virus. So this could be the reason why STI is bouyant.

MAS has already taken on an expansionary approach by bringing the policy band for currency upwards. This means that the devaluation of sgp will be in line with other major basket of currencies.

Devaluation of currency is achieved by selling sgp into the market or buying foreign currenies.

As to the Singapore budget, it is targeted towards government spending in typical areas like healthcare. you maybe talking about helicopter money via gst handout or handouts to alleviate impact to household. singapore always does it during budget surplus so it may not be right to call it helicopter money since it is used in times of distress.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro
revhappy likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.