HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2020 market expectations and positioning

Like Tree692Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #796

I have 18K STI ETF. Got it at just a bit above 3.
MrHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #797

I have 18K STI ETF. Got it at just a bit above 3.
That should be decent but do you have others? If only STI then I think top conservative already.
weng0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #798
Supremacy Member

I don’t buy things at prices which I fail to be convinced of. Even the drop was barely anything much and lasted for just one day...

Yes I know - I just want to buy things at prices where I understand at least somewhat
Stock market is irrational. What you think may be value for money may crash, what you think is overpriced may raise. It's better to learn how to manage risk and hedge than to sit on the side

Posted from PCWX using SM-N960F
ashethen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #799
Supremacy Member

Stock market is irrational. What you think may be value for money may crash, what you think is overpriced may raise. It's better to learn how to manage risk and hedge than to sit on the side

Can read the books Dividends Don't Lie and Dividends Still Don't Lie The books are available from library.

Dividends are paid from earnings and there must be free cash flow to support dividends.

If a company can earn money/ has the free cash flow to pay its dividends, I'm not so bothered about whether the price goes up and down in the stock market.
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #800

Can read the books Dividends Don't Lie and Dividends Still Don't Lie The books are available from library.

Dividends are paid from earnings and there must be free cash flow to support dividends.

If a company can earn money/ has the free cash flow to pay its dividends, I'm not so bothered about whether the price goes up and down in the stock market.
But dividend strategies need large sum of capital. I think at least 500K to be worthwhile
Trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #801
Supremacy Member

STI ex dividend is now already above what it was pre ex dividend. So even before the payout, the price has already recovered. This is the best part of dividend investing. If you are looking for safe and slightly better than bond type returns, then such high dividend instruments are like a middle road of safe Vs high risk. I won't wait for STI to go below 3, because even at current price it takes only 2 years of dividends to compensate for a fall from current price to 3. So people will see through that and won't sell it to you for 3.

Last edited by revhappy; 12-02-2020 at 10:57 PM..
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:11 PM   #802

I agree with that

Market can stay crazy longer than you can stay solvent

Old 12-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #803

STI is a good investment

Not terribly exciting but at least you know it’s safe and reliable

STI ex dividend is now already above what it was pre ex dividend. So even before the payout, the price has already recovered. This is the best part of dividend investing. If you are looking for safe and slightly better than bond type returns, then such high dividend instruments are like a middle road of safe Vs high risk. I won't wait for STI to go below 3, because even at current price it takes only 2 years of dividends to compensate for a fall from current price to 3. So people will see through that and won't sell it to you for 3.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #804

STI is a good investment

Not terribly exciting but at least you know it’s safe and reliable
Cash to iwda/eimi/some stocks.
SRS to es3.
Rhat's what I am doing.
I hope it'll work.
d9_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #805

Not much actually

That should be decent but do you have others? If only STI then I think top conservative already.
Old 13-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #806

Not much actually
So what is the reason for being so conservative?
weng0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #807
Supremacy Member

I felt there was a narrow window for it to fall below $3. I think the window has passed for now.

This month, the SG shares I bought were Sembcorp, DBS, Comfort Delgro, and Frasers H.Trust. Still keeping warchest for STI ETF.

Whether the stock market go up or down, I'm more worried about REIT earnings because dividend (and debt servicing) is paid from earnings. Earnings are certainly not going to go up in the short term, question is how much down?
limster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #808

For me it’s simple, it’s not at a price hitting my comfort level yet

To each his own I Guess

Keeping my powder dry

So what is the reason for being so conservative?
Old 13-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #809

I wanted to buy Sembcorp

Only if it hits 1.95

I wanted to buy DBS

Only if it hits 24.5

I wanted to buy STI ETF

Only if it goes below 3050

If only lol

I felt there was a narrow window for it to fall below $3. I think the window has passed for now.

This month, the SG shares I bought were Sembcorp, DBS, Comfort Delgro, and Frasers H.Trust. Still keeping warchest for STI ETF.

Whether the stock market go up or down, I'm more worried about REIT earnings because dividend (and debt servicing) is paid from earnings. Earnings are certainly not going to go up in the short term, question is how much down?
Old 13-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #810

I wanted to buy Sembcorp

Only if it hits 1.95

I wanted to buy DBS

Only if it hits 24.5

I wanted to buy STI ETF

Only if it goes below 3050

If only lol
Time in market vs timing the market
Trader11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.