HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2020 market expectations and positioning

Like Tree575Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #91

Pls note that many many punters in HK n Spore remember the SARS events n as such, are also waiting to buy. So I m not sure by how much the stock market will sink before buyers pile in. I just read that the first Wuhan virus case in Spore has been confirmed. My guess is that this epidemic will get worse before it gets better.
https://mothership.sg/2020/01/china-lock-down-2-cities-wuhan/

This virus is spreading and there is no effective way to contain it... Singapore has its first confirmed case and it is a matter of time before other countries get affected. Peak Chinese travel season would highlight this risk. Those who are looking to buy dips thinking that it would pass would be taking on a big risk. The safer way to play this is when mkts stabilises and rebound after the danger has passed.
NewInvestor likes this.
DukeCS33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #92

Very useful comment
As useful as what was quoted
tesarise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #93

STI can skyrocket, if the authorities start behaving like FED and Trump. If CPF interest is reduced from 4% to 2% and Temasek, GIC and MAS start doing large scale asset purchases of Singapore equities, it will rocket.

But it is good that they are not doing it. Valuations are low and it allows people to accumulate cheap, while property markets are kept out of speculation.

STI made its peak in Oct 2007 and it still hasn't reached there after 13 years. Although I do a regular monthly investments in it and I am aware that there are dividends as well, the poor performance of STI is a concern.

Another aspect to look for is SGD which is a strong currency to hold. It has done well against almost all popular currencies of the world in last 15 years.

So there are 2 sides to the argument here, hold sti long term because you want to hold on to Singapore dollars long term but then need to accept the fact that Singapore markets performance would always be mediocre compared to USA markets.

I keep hearing REITs can get better returns than STI but never really invested in those. Anybody here as any recommendation on REITs ? Does it make sense to hold some REITs as well in addition to STI
revhappy likes this.
blue_denim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #94
Supremacy Member

As useful as what was quoted

If you say so, lol!
NewInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #95
Supremacy Member

https://mothership.sg/2020/01/china-lock-down-2-cities-wuhan/

This virus is spreading and there is no effective way to contain it... Singapore has its first confirmed case and it is a matter of time before other countries get affected. Peak Chinese travel season would highlight this risk. Those who are looking to buy dips thinking that it would pass would be taking on a big risk. The safer way to play this is when mkts stabilises and rebound after the danger has passed.

I have just had meetings with 2 clients who have substantial businesses in China (and elsewhere). They told me what is happening in China to their businesses (and associated businesses) so far as well as their views on what they think may happen from hereon.

Whilst I obviously cannot give details of what was said to me, I can only say that what you have said above definitely has merit and makes sense. After considering risk against reward, I have sold off stocks which will be directly affected by this virus contagion (should the contagion get worse).
Angry Bird likes this.
Old 24-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #96

I have just had meetings with 2 clients who have substantial businesses in China (and elsewhere). They told me what is happening in China to their businesses (and associated businesses) so far as well as their views on what they think may happen from hereon.

Whilst I obviously cannot give details of what was said to me, I can only say that what you have said above definitely has merit and makes sense. After considering risk against reward, I have sold off stocks which will be directly affected by this virus contagion (should the contagion get worse).
If you have witnessed what happened during the SARS period, then it makes sense to be prudent. China is the epicentre and Asia is closest to it. And up to now, the Chinese has not been transparent... there is a disconnect between the number affected vs those that have been infected outside China as flagged by the media.

For US equities, they may be insulated somewhat.... at least until it becomes a global health concern.
DukeCS33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #97
High Supremacy Member

And we continue to climb higher for global equities
highsulphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #98
Arch-Supremacy Member

And we continue to climb higher for global equities
I have been gradually reducing my US equities allocation for last 7 months.
Old 24-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #99
Supremacy Member

I have been gradually reducing my US equities allocation for last 7 months.
What is your allocation equities vs cash?
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #100
Arch-Supremacy Member

What is your allocation equities vs cash?
stocks(US+SG) is 56% of stocks + cash
revhappy likes this.
Old 24-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #101
Supremacy Member

stocks(US+SG) is 56% of stocks + cash
Thanks, your timing sense is generally good. All the best!
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #102
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks, your timing sense is generally good. All the best!
There is no timing element there.

If my timing is good, I will put everything in Dec/18.

And sell on the next peak.

I am just doing ad hoc rebalancing. Buy gradually when market is down, sell gradually when market is up.
revhappy likes this.
Old 24-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #103
Supremacy Member

CNBC: Trump again pushes negative interest rates, but Kudlow says they don't work.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/21/trum...dont-work.html

Negative rates 👍
Old 24-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #104
Master Member

There is no timing element there.

If my timing is good, I will put everything in Dec/18.

And sell on the next peak.

I am just doing ad hoc rebalancing. Buy gradually when market is down, sell gradually when market is up.
What metric do you use to tell you when the market is down and when it is up?
Okenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #105
Arch-Supremacy Member

What metric do you use to tell you when the market is down and when it is up?
For the US market is the S&P or DOW. Isn't it?

This is also a good indicator of the market.

https://money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-...?iid=SF_INV_FG
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.