HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

7.5k to invest in REITS

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

7.5k to invest in REITS

Hey all, I have been reading about REITS for the last few months and have decided to venture into this with my limited capital.

Currently the strategy that I have in mind is to buy-and-hold as I will not be actively trading for the next 2 years as I have other life goals. Thus at the moment I'm looking at those with high dividend yields such as First Reit and AIMS APAC Reit.

Some questions that popped up in my head:

1) Do I diversify into various reits with this limited capital or focus on just one type of reit until I'm able to accumulate more capital in the future for higher diversification power?

2) I've read up on cases where their initial strategy was to buy-and-hold simply just to reap the dividends, but changed their minds when the paper gain/loss is too huge and proceeded to buy/sell to cut loss/gain profits. Do I still look at other factors such as DPU/price to book/property yield/property yield unless i am not bothered by the growth prospect of the reits? My long term investment objective is to simply build up my passive income and not time the market (unless i can do both expertly like Dividend Warriors lol)

3) How will first-tier reits such as Ascendas and CMT affect my long term investment goals (solely to build up passive income)? Their share prices are higher, better growth prospects, higher DPU etc but lower dividend yields compared to First Reit for eg.

Thanks so much in advance REITS experts!
FreshFunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
Master Member

The decision boils down to your risk appetite. How much of your 7.5k can you afford to lose? If you are risk adverse, buying savings bonds is the perfect way to go. Since you have decided to invest in reits, that means you are able to stomach at least low risk. Getting 7 lots of lion phillip s reit etf would be a good way for initial exposure to a well diversified basket of reits of capitaland, ascendas, Mapletree etc. If you have high savings rate, you can plough 7.5k into 2500 shares of ascendas reit and then average up or down every month when you have new funds.
commie_rick likes this.
Yorixz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #3

Push it up to 10k and go for stashaway SGD portfolio. No need to think
unclebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #4

What is this
CaptainTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
Great Supremacy Member

What is this
im keen to find out too
Old 20-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just buy Nikko AM Straits Trading REIT through POSB Invest Saver.

You give up some yield for better diversification and lower risks.

Those reits that you mentioned are more volatile.
Old 20-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #7

GOOD ONE.....
alibaba136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

i have first reit though, if you are worried about its parent company.
well just get a small amount will do.

reits are not really for buy and hold strategy if there is a bubble, don't chase the bubble.

the best time to buy reit is when nobody is talking about them, during that time price are low and everyone find reits boring.
when you tell ppl you bought a reit, they laugh at you.
y2kbug likes this.
Old 20-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #9

hmm, reit good to buy? now is at very high price, and lots of shares placement, rights cash calling.

usa/hk shopping malls crashing down, wework shrinking, industrial space over supply,
world trade slowing down, most PMI below 50, singapore just recorded -12.3% nodx down.
people talking about deutsche bank to trigger another GFC, overnight rate repo at usa-fed needs daily blood transfusion
=> all news are bad, only good news is money printing.

for me i prefer to, and now mainly in cash+gold position. only quick trading on some heavily whacked down shares to sooth my itchy fingers.

reit price could still go up if usa-fed continue to cut rate and qe. there is already euro$20bil/month open end qe by ecb, and us$60bil/month qe by usa-fed until 2020Q2 (and i bet usa-fed will make it open end in 2020Q2). there is no end of money printing in sight, and getting bigger amount forward. too much money chasing too little assets and yield, TINA effects.

i do not think there is any "should or should not" buy some reit now, it could like buying negative yield bonds and waiting for someone buying at higher px from you. at least reit's yield still quite attractive in general.

need a lot of luck in this market, keep in cash for next many years also would die... i would say: may be if want to buy reit now then better buy those very very stable ones, and don't be greedy for another 2-3% dividends. Priority is to protect your capital now. Don't lose your capital!
Old 20-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

hmm, reit good to buy? now is at very high price, and lots of shares placement, rights cash calling.

usa/hk shopping malls crashing down, wework shrinking, industrial space over supply,
world trade slowing down, most PMI below 50, singapore just recorded -12.3% nodx down.
people talking about deutsche bank to trigger another GFC, overnight rate repo at usa-fed needs daily blood transfusion
=> all news are bad, only good news is money printing.

for me i prefer to, and now mainly in cash+gold position. only quick trading on some heavily whacked down shares to sooth my itchy fingers.

reit price could still go up if usa-fed continue to cut rate and qe. there is already euro$20bil/month open end qe by ecb, and us$60bil/month qe by usa-fed until 2020Q2 (and i bet usa-fed will make it open end in 2020Q2). there is no end of money printing in sight, and getting bigger amount forward. too much money chasing too little assets and yield, TINA effects.

i do not think there is any "should or should not" buy some reit now, it could like buying negative yield bonds and waiting for someone buying at higher px from you. at least reit's yield still quite attractive in general.

need a lot of luck in this market, keep in cash for next many years also would die... i would say: may be if want to buy reit now then better buy those very very stable ones, and don't be greedy for another 2-3% dividends. Priority is to protect your capital now. Don't lose your capital!

This is a very realistic view. Thumbs up!
NewInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:34 AM   #11

im keen to find out too
ETFs: Straits Times Index, SG Government Bonds, SGD Investment Grade Corp bonds, Asia high yield corporate bonds, S-REIT, Asia ex-Japan REIT.

Basically medium risk basket of ETF. No single exposure to one single reit that can tank (e.g first REIT circa 2018, eagle Htrust 2019)

Downside is 0.8% management fee which is $80 per yr, but can get 6 months free management fee For $10k

Personally I'm using this with my CPF SRS funds. Buy and forget. No need to think. Use cash for capital gain stock investing

Can use my code if u wish

https://www.stashaway.sg/referrals/chanzmn4n
Old 21-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

ETFs: Straits Times Index, SG Government Bonds, SGD Investment Grade Corp bonds, Asia high yield corporate bonds, S-REIT, Asia ex-Japan REIT.

Basically medium risk basket of ETF. No single exposure to one single reit that can tank (e.g first REIT circa 2018, eagle Htrust 2019)

Downside is 0.8% management fee which is $80 per yr, but can get 6 months free management fee For $10k

Personally I'm using this with my CPF SRS funds. Buy and forget. No need to think. Use cash for capital gain stock investing

Is the yield better than the cpf 2.5%?
NewInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Great Supremacy Member

im considering bonds or bonds etf thus i created this thread

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/s...#post123804925
Old 21-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #14

Is the yield better than the cpf 2.5%?
Apparently 3.8%. but of course got risk of capital loss
Old 21-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

im considering bonds or bonds etf thus i created this thread

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/s...#post123804925
Just go with bonds ETF.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.