HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

broker for us stock options?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #31
Supremacy Member

thanks all for taking the time to answering my questions.

Today i got option expiring again.

SPY Mar 09'20 285 Put.
Since now the market is at 297
I confirm dun want it to expire worthless again. So I just set to "Market" and wait for some idiot to buy it?
dont think it will be worthless tonight
ashethen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #32
High Supremacy Member

oh shyt, i just realised.... my account actually doesnt have enuff cash to exercise the option on expiry

my buying power is only 53k (margin account)

i am holding 5 spy puts, assuming it exercise at 285, it will be 285 * 100 * 5 = 142500 in buying power.....

i need to deposit more cash now?

I dun want ibkr to liquidate my other positions just to fund this short position.

or it will exercise then immediately buy back the stocks?

Last edited by theMKR; 09-03-2020 at 03:52 PM..
theMKR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #33
Supremacy Member

oh shyt, i just realised.... my account actually doesnt have enuff cash to exercise the option on expiry

i am holding 5 spy puts, assuming it exercise at 285, it will be 285 * 100 * 5 = 142500 in buying power.....

I dun want ibkr to liquidate my other positions just to fund this short position.

just close those puts before market close. can earn some time value too
Old 09-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

just close those puts before market close. can earn some time value too
bold of you to assume someone wants to buy those puts when you want to sell them
Old 09-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

sell at the open before the circuit breaker hits again
Old 10-03-2020, 01:59 AM   #36
Supremacy Member

bold of you to assume someone wants to buy those puts when you want to sell them
market maker should be buying them when there's still intrinsic value no?
livingcharsiew likes this.

Last edited by ashethen; 10-03-2020 at 02:04 AM..
Old 10-03-2020, 02:23 AM   #37
Supremacy Member

when is the expiry? roll to the april and roll down , you will get some margin relief i think
InterestingStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #38

Hi,
Planning to buy US ETFs and some shares when there are dips. Which would be the cheapest broker with easy fund transfer too? Please advise
softwareengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:09 PM   #39
Supremacy Member

you have to customize it to suit your style

This is my customized one to create my options spreads. add tabs by clicking the + button below then click the 'new window' button on the top left to add whatever instruments you want into the main window and resize it so everything fits. there's a chain icon in every instrument window on the top right to link all the instrument windows together if you need.

how u link from imgbb huh?my link the img always not full resolution on.
binary_0011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:03 AM   #40
Supremacy Member

Hi,
Planning to buy US ETFs and some shares when there are dips. Which would be the cheapest broker with easy fund transfer too? Please advise
If you’re an active trader—if you trade more than once a month, if you buy more than about $1000 USD a month, or if you have more than USD $100k in assets that you’ll park in there—IBKR is a great pick. Otherwise, Stanchart is surprisingly good.
softwareengineer likes this.
Shiny Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:07 AM   #41
Supremacy Member

how u link from imgbb huh?my link the img always not full resolution on.
Use pcwx or gagt app. It's automated when uploading your pictures

Posted from PCWX using SM-N960F
Old 25-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #42
Master Member

Hi all,

I need some advice on where I should go to find out more about the IBKR platform.

Is there anywhere that is a single stop to learn more about their platform and setting it up to suit my needs?

I won't know what I need at this point as it is something new to me. The reason why I am looking at this is because I am getting employee stock purchase plan from my company and it is one that gives out dividends.

As the dividends will attract 30% withholding tax, I am hoping to sell off the shares on a monthly basis and reinvest the monies in other US stocks that does not give out dividends as a start for my portfolio.
fyeebiyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #43

Hi all,

I need some advice on where I should go to find out more about the IBKR platform.

Is there anywhere that is a single stop to learn more about their platform and setting it up to suit my needs?

I won't know what I need at this point as it is something new to me. The reason why I am looking at this is because I am getting employee stock purchase plan from my company and it is one that gives out dividends.

As the dividends will attract 30% withholding tax, I am hoping to sell off the shares on a monthly basis and reinvest the monies in other US stocks that does not give out dividends as a start for my portfolio.
Why monthly just wondering? Do it b4 ex div will sidestep the dividend payout issue.
silverbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #44
Master Member

Why monthly just wondering? Do it b4 ex div will sidestep the dividend payout issue.
If going with IBKR, a monthly transaction is needed. So might as well sell it on a monthly basis. The stock purchase plan is also done on a monthly basis.

Since the money is already in USD, I was thinking to sell the stocks and buy other non-dividend US stocks to build up my portfolio.

That is the thinking that I have to get myself started on investing.
fyeebiyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #45
Arch-Supremacy Member

looking for a reliable broker to trade options on us stocks. how is td ameritrade? open to comments from experience or general thoughts.
IBKR isnt a good choice for options if u buy and sell alot.
Hard to track gains and losses.

Thinkorswim is far better for options imo.
occifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.