broker for us stock options?

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice on where I should go to find out more about the IBKR platform.

Is there anywhere that is a single stop to learn more about their platform and setting it up to suit my needs?

I won't know what I need at this point as it is something new to me. The reason why I am looking at this is because I am getting employee stock purchase plan from my company and it is one that gives out dividends.

As the dividends will attract 30% withholding tax, I am hoping to sell off the shares on a monthly basis and reinvest the monies in other US stocks that does not give out dividends as a start for my portfolio.

silverbomb

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice on where I should go to find out more about the IBKR platform.

Is there anywhere that is a single stop to learn more about their platform and setting it up to suit my needs?

I won't know what I need at this point as it is something new to me. The reason why I am looking at this is because I am getting employee stock purchase plan from my company and it is one that gives out dividends.

As the dividends will attract 30% withholding tax, I am hoping to sell off the shares on a monthly basis and reinvest the monies in other US stocks that does not give out dividends as a start for my portfolio.

Why monthly just wondering? Do it b4 ex div will sidestep the dividend payout issue.

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Why monthly just wondering? Do it b4 ex div will sidestep the dividend payout issue.

If going with IBKR, a monthly transaction is needed. So might as well sell it on a monthly basis. The stock purchase plan is also done on a monthly basis.

Since the money is already in USD, I was thinking to sell the stocks and buy other non-dividend US stocks to build up my portfolio.

That is the thinking that I have to get myself started on investing.

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looking for a reliable broker to trade options on us stocks. how is td ameritrade? open to comments from experience or general thoughts.

IBKR isnt a good choice for options if u buy and sell alot.
Hard to track gains and losses.

Thinkorswim is far better for options imo.

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone looking at thinkorswim after they announced their zero commission for US stock trades?

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have been using both ibkr and tos for a couple of months now.

i can say that ibkr has superior execution. i sometimes mirror my trades across the platforms and ibkr has a much better fill rate than tos. i feel like tos is selling their order flow.

commissions on ibkr also way superior to tos. tos also does not support cash accounts so if you don't have 25k usd you are stuck with pdt rubbish.

ibkr desktop platform is very ugly and impossible to chart with but still usable for trading. their mobile platform looks really neat but lacks in ux. cant really roll options easily. you have to go to the ticker and manually add both legs. their forced otp every session and the inability to maintain multiple sessions over 2 devices is very very annoying. the worst problem is they force you to restart the platform every single day for "performance" issues.

tos platform is very neat and great for charting. the greatest benefit is the lack of forced restart every day like ibkr. if you are logged in on desktop you can basically keep it logged in for months without any problems. cnbc tv is great too. and you get to sign in to as many devices as you want so you can trade on mobile while away from desk and come back later without having to go through the whole login process again.

in summary, you probably want to have accounts with both of them but stick to ibkr for bulk of day trades.

iridiot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i can say that ibkr has superior execution. i sometimes mirror my trades across the platforms and ibkr has a much better fill rate than tos. i feel like tos is selling their order flow.

Yea , TOS does have payment of order flow

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/...the compensation a broker,the SEC in a study.
IBKR doesn't have https://gdcdyn.interactivebrokers.c...rmSampleView?ad=order_routing_disclosure.html

Need more information from you : what are the comms/fills like per trade in IBKR ? e.g. you buy / sell 100 contracts.

do you get better fills?

e.g. u send two orders at the same time

TOS get it at 1.05 while IBKR gets it at 0.95 ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.